The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIGI 002 extra I/0 options?
Old 17th November 2009
DIGI 002 extra I/0 options?

are there any alternatives to the octopre with adat or does anyone have any opinions for adding extra inputs/outputs to my 002 rack?

also are the octopre mic pre's better than the 002 pre's?

i am looking to set a mobile recording set up and need 12mic pre's.

can i use motu with pro tools?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've used an Octopre with an 002 before and it did improve the sound because the Octopre was set as the Master Clock instead of the 002's internal clock .

As far as comparing the pre's of the two , they're about the same , maybe the Octopre was like 10% better , not really that much of a difference but having the Octopre as the main front end is better than just having an 002 , thats for sure .

I would rent high end gear instead . I've done it alot and its WAAAAAAAY better to record with nice high end gear than to get many low end channels .
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougens View Post
are there any alternatives to the octopre with adat or does anyone have any opinions for adding extra inputs/outputs to my 002 rack?

also are the octopre mic pre's better than the 002 pre's?

i am looking to set a mobile recording set up and need 12mic pre's.

can i use motu with pro tools?
You can use ANY box with an ADAT out on it to interface with the DIGI box, MOTU included
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

There are many alternatives to the octopre- lynx,rme, mytek, lucid etc. Any ad/da that supports adat- lightpipe- will work. You will need external pres though...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Go for a nice DA/AD like an Apogee or Lynx then upgrade your pres one at a time. Works out far better in the long run, and you'll immediately get the benefit of a superior clock.
Old 17th November 2009
Great thanks for replies. I will have to work out budget and look into the more expensive AD/DA converters.

Sorry for the ignorance but

to clock from the AD/DA converter rather than the 002 you can do this via either word clock out (BNC) or adat out (lightpipe)?

Also if I looking at eventually getting an HD system I take it I can use the AD/DA converters like Lynx / Apogee / RME etc? How do these rate against the converters in the 96 I/O if so?

Thanks
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I've used an Octopre with an 002 before and it did improve the sound because the Octopre was set as the Master Clock instead of the 002's internal clock .

Any views on the octopre MKII comoared to octopre or octopre LE?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Have to disagree about Octopre pres not being much better than the 002r pres... I have the original octopre with the digital output card, so I don't know about the current model of Octopres. I wouldn't call the octopres the most AWESOME in the world, but I think they are significantly better than most console pres and the 002r pres. In my experience, some mics are much more sensitive to preamp than others. It's easy for me to tell the difference between sm57 into the 002 pre and the same sm57 into the octopre. In fact, I could never understand WHY oh WHY people liked the 57 on snare, or amp, or ANYTHING really, until I plugged it in to the octo pres. Muuuuch better. Of course, it's even better when I plug into my SCA a12 The built-in comp-lim are also useful in live recording situations as insurance, though they do dull the sound a bit when engaged, and I haven't use it much in any non-live situations.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great thanks for replies. I will have to work out budget and look into the more expensive AD/DA converters.

Sorry for the ignorance but

to clock from the AD/DA converter rather than the 002 you can do this via either word clock out (BNC) or adat out (lightpipe)?

Also if I looking at eventually getting an HD system I take it I can use the AD/DA converters like Lynx / Apogee / RME etc? How do these rate against the converters in the 96 I/O if so?

Thanks
Converters in the 96i/o & 003 are the same... As for clocking, the 002 doesn't have wordclock so the only opt of course would be ADAT; also just in case u don't know, ADAT will only go up to 48k so u can't use it on sessions @ 88.2 or 96k...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS View Post
also just in case u don't know, ADAT will only go up to 48k so u can't use it on sessions @ 88.2 or 96k...
There is a hack that some hardware companies (like MOTU) use to get 96k over ADAT - They basically multiplex the signal over two channels for twice the resolution. Digi doesn't support this, so you can't do it. But the Octopre digital out DOES support this, so if you ever had the need...
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any views on the octopre MKII comoared to octopre or octopre LE?
I have only used the original Octopre , don't know about the newer ones .

I'd worry about Mic Pres before I worry about conversion .

You need 12 inputs , what are you recording ?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalboy View Post
Have to disagree about Octopre pres not being much better than the 002r pres... I have the original octopre with the digital output card, so I don't know about the current model of Octopres. I wouldn't call the octopres the most AWESOME in the world, but I think they are significantly better than most console pres and the 002r pres. In my experience, some mics are much more sensitive to preamp than others. It's easy for me to tell the difference between sm57 into the 002 pre and the same sm57 into the octopre. In fact, I could never understand WHY oh WHY people liked the 57 on snare, or amp, or ANYTHING really, until I plugged it in to the octo pres. Muuuuch better. Of course, it's even better when I plug into my SCA a12 The built-in comp-lim are also useful in live recording situations as insurance, though they do dull the sound a bit when engaged, and I haven't use it much in any non-live situations.
Yeah they are better than the 002's pres but compared to using an API Pre they're really not that much better .
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Converters in the 96i/o & 003 are the same... As for clocking, the 002 doesn't have wordclock so the only opt of course would be ADAT; also just in case u don't know, ADAT will only go up to 48k so u can't use it on sessions @ 88.2 or 96k...

thanks for explaining
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I have only used the original Octopre , don't know about the newer ones .

I'd worry about Mic Pres before I worry about conversion .

You need 12 inputs , what are you recording ?

Basic band set up: usually
kik
snr
tom 1
tom 2
2 oh's
ambient

bass
gtr x2
vox
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
You can use ANY box with an ADAT out on it to interface with the DIGI box, MOTU included

Does it matter if the unit usually uses Firewire to connect to your computer???

I.e. will the signal come in be converted and go to the 002 via adat if the unit usually does this via firewire????
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:

I.e. will the signal come in be converted and go to the 002 via adat if the unit usually does this via firewire????

Doent matter, you just connect them via the ADAT port and set one as master and the other one as slave in reference to the Master Clock.

I had my MOTU ADAT ports connected to my DIGI002Rack without problems.
I could run Protools with the DIGI and at the same time run the CueMix software on my MOTU for input monitoring. No issues. As long as the unit has ADAT ports your fine.

the FW ports just determine what connections type your using to get the audio INTO the computer. The ADAT ports can always be run separate on the second unit
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:

The firewire goes to the 002 and the light cables go from the adat box to the the 002.

I had a presonus digimax which had 8 pres and adat and was pretty good for the money.
If you can afford it get something like the metric halo 2882 - 8 pres and going quite cheap for what they are.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
As long as the unit has ADAT ports your fine.
Thanks Shanabit

Does the interface need both in and out ADAT?
I presume that as the 002 needs only info from the external unit if it only has ADAT outs this is ok??
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
The firewire goes to the 002 and the light cables go from the adat box to the the 002.

I had a presonus digimax which had 8 pres and adat and was pretty good for the money.
If you can afford it get something like the metric halo 2882 - 8 pres and going quite cheap for what they are.
Thanks nigel

Any views on the RME Octamic II or the Audient ASP008?????
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Shanabit

Does the interface need both in and out ADAT?
I presume that as the 002 needs only info from the external unit if it only has ADAT outs this is ok??
If u plan on running hardware inserts or even wanting to use this to gain more bus/aux tracks then u need in & outs but if ur just needing this, as from what u described to only record in, u only need out from the ADAT interface into the rack...
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
If u plan on running hardware inserts or even wanting to use this to gain more bus/aux tracks then u need in & outs but if ur just needing this, as from what u described to only record in, u only need out from the ADAT interface into the rack...
Thanks mate.
So if I get a preamp/ad/da unit that only has ADAT outs not ins then my whole system would be 16in/8out.
If i need the extra outs (as I would like to mix on my 16 track mixing desk) or for outboard inserts I need to get a interface with in and outs???

Sorry if I'm being retarded just trying to get my head round all this.
thanks
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

That is Correct Hacksaw Jim Dougens
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
What KEYBEEETSSS said

Only reason I hooked up the ADAT back to the MOTU box here was so I could keep the DIGI set to internal clock as I didnt always NEED the other inputs from the MOTU
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear