The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek stereo96 ADC makes everything sound better!!! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Mytek stereo96 ADC makes everything sound better!!!

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the site, but I just wanted to thank you all for pointing me to a great purchase.

I wanted to tell you all about something I discovered in the Mytec Stereo 96 ADC

First of all I have a Frontier Design Dakota card that I have always used with my Soundcraft 328 Digital Mixer. It has always been a rock solid combo, but I have felt for a while, that it has lacked the depth I have always loved in analog tape. I have been mixing for more than 20 years and I have a set of Genelecs for detail work. I have pretty good ears...enough to here most subtleties.

My Soundcraft 328 Digital Mixer has been on loan, so I started using a M-Audio Firewire 400. My advice, don't use this piece of gear if you are serious about your recordings. It doesn't sound good at all and its a serious waste of time when you are laying down great performances.

So I dug out my 20 Bit ADAT and I started using that for playback. It blows away the M-Audio, and I was now in the market for another all in one converter.

A few of you pointed me to the RME Fireface 400. I bought it and did some tracking and play back with it. It sounded really good. I did some back to back tests with the RME Fireface 400 vs the 20 Bit ADAT, using some Roxy Music Avalon downloads I got from the Mytekdigital.com site and other source material I had and I couldn't here much of a difference. Subtle tonalities in the bass material, but not much at all.

Another person on here said they upgraded from the RME Fireface 400 to the Mytek Stereo96 ADC and they were happy with it,so I began thinking, since I am happy with the output of the 20 Bit ADAT, maybe I should just look at getting a Mytek Stereo96 ADC.

I bought the Mytek Stereo96 ADC and before I did any tracking with it, I mixed on my system for a couple weeks using it as the clock source. My system sounds incredible. There is a noticable depth and clarity to all my audio playback sources. Someone on here had mentioned that the clock was so much better with the Mytek Stereo96, but I would have never imagined just using a different clock source to run my 20 Bit ADAT would have been such an improvement. Alot of this is subtle, but you really notice it when you are mixing for more than 4 hours...the fatigue is just not there. Awesome!

I thought I would share that with you all. I will be buying the Mytek Stereo96 DAC at a future date, but for now I am really happy with my new clock.

Jawmag
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, the high end converters are a revelation over the cheaper stuff. Soon you'll start noticing the "flaws" in the Mytek, and wonder if there is a better converter, or one you'll like better.

I'm sort of joking, and sort of not. If you are happy with your sounds and recordings then more power to you. But just search the posts regarding converter comparison (seems like you already have) and if you start questioning things like most do......you'll soon need digital therapy, gearslutz style.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like how it just sounds "real". I did a little test when I bought my stereo 96 comparing it to the firepod I was replacing and I guess the best way to say it is all of my "buyers remorse" was gone after I pushed play! Definitely a giant step forward. Congrats!thumbsup
Old 17th November 2009
nas
Lives for gear

I have the Stereo192 ADC and the Stero96 DAC - yes they are great converters... wait until you hear the DAC
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

mytek and adat 20bit

hi jawmag..i m interested over your finding of the mytek and adat..i ve been using m audio from firewire 410>1814 and the latest profire 2626..like your case i ve doing this recording mixing stuff for around 20 years and i still have the posessions of 20bit adat xt ad still in the rack unused...how do you intergrate the mytek and adat?Are recording via DAW and later sum to adat or record to adat thru mytek?thanx
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
I have the Stereo192 ADC and the Stero96 DAC - yes they are great converters...
Do you hear some difference between them at sampling frequency less or equal to 96 kHz ?
Old 17th November 2009
nas
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Do you hear some difference between them at sampling frequency less or equal to 96 kHz ?
not sure I understand what you mean? one is the ADC and the other is the DAC so they have different functions... perhaps you are referring to the Stereo96 ADC compared to the Stereo192 ADC?

If this is what you're referring to, I have not compared the two directly but from what I understand, the Stereo192 has slightly higher grade analog components inside closer to the 8X192 model. I have been told though that they sound very similar at lower sampling frequencies and that the difference is really only noticeable on very high end monitoring systems.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I can say that the stereo 192ADC does sound better at the higher rates - smoother and less distortion. Not a night and day thing, but noticeable.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaidai View Post
hi jawmag..i m interested over your finding of the mytek and adat..i ve been using m audio from firewire 410>1814 and the latest profire 2626..like your case i ve doing this recording mixing stuff for around 20 years and i still have the posessions of 20bit adat xt ad still in the rack unused...how do you intergrate the mytek and adat?Are recording via DAW and later sum to adat or record to adat thru mytek?thanx
Hi Akaidai

I run a Raid 10 DAW with a Frontier Dakota card. Its 16 channels of 24/44.1K or 48K, Toslink Adat Lightpipe and it also has a s/pdif input.

So I just run out of my DAW via Toslink Lightpipe into the ADAT. The audio outputs on the back are balanced, so I just send them to my Genelecs. (My set up is kind of thrown together because alot of my stuff is on loan with a friend across the country.) I found a presonus HP4 headphone amp laying around this week, and I have just routed that between the adat and my genelecs so I can monitor with headphones and a couple other speakers I routinely test my mixes on.

My input is a Neuman U87 into a Chameleon Labs 7602 MK11 on loan to me (Pro Audio friends are great to have!) going into my Mytek Stereo96, then going into my Frontier Dakota card via s/pdif. I have a Daking Mic Pre One on order (or backorder haha) to replace the 7602.

At that point there are three clock sources I can use. The Dakota, Adat and the Mytek....which for me is "hands down" the best clock source of the three.

Jawmag
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
I can say that the stereo 192ADC does sound better at the higher rates - smoother and less distortion. Not a night and day thing, but noticeable.
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't agree more, you guys are totally right about recording at higher rates. I have done 5.1 mixes with at those rates and it is silkier, smoother...it just feels better.

For me, the differences between a stereo mix at 44.1K and 192k are subtle, but stack 24 tracks together and the sonic depth you achieve between the rates is aparent.

LOL ...That will be another purchase, replacing my Frontier Dakota card for a 96K and 192K card.

Jawmag
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaidai View Post
Hi akaidai,

Sorry, I just understood what you meant about summing to adat. Actually, I am just in tracking and mixing phase right now of my current project. I will try to purchase the Mytek Stereo96 DAC so I can mix down to analog. Probably an Otari MTR-15 at 30ips, (I have also mixed down to the 20 BIt ADAT with good results, but its no comparison to the depth of analog), then I will go back into the DAW through the Mytec stereo96 ADC.

I hope that helps.

Jawmag
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Nut
hi,
have been thinking of finding an old apogee mini me for the same reason and read this.
wondered if you had compared the two?
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

I have Mytek stereo96 DA for sale
[email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search