The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone still using reverb?
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Is anyone still using reverb?

Kidding, of course, but it sure sounds to me that the popular genres are either, using it less, or with so much subtlety that you don't hear it. Is it dying? What's everyones' opinion on preferred vocal reverb application.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm not anyone of significance, but I'm enjoying using a spring reverb on vocals a lot these days
edit - but not for rock
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Really? I hear it everywhere now. Everyone is on a spring kick - Fleet Foxes, Bat for Lashes..... the williamsbeard crowd loves it. Or so it seems to me.
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
Kidding, of course, but it sure sounds to me that the popular genres are either, using it less, or with so much subtlety that you don't hear it. Is it dying? What's everyones' opinion on preferred vocal reverb application.
Many are using just a Delay instead and keeping things more dry
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Was just realizing how much reverb Kings of Leon - Crawl has. Ooozing!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear
Things have been mire dry for 15 years. I think reverb is on a bit of a comeback.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I tend to use my Echo Boy in stereo instead of reverb. Dark and short

And when I do use verb, it's often spring reverb. Sometimes Logic's Amp Deisgner (which has 4 or 5 different flavors of springs), and sometimes my Super Reverb.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man I hope people are still using reverb. One of the least endearing elements of certain 70's rock and nearly all modern hip hop is the crappy dry sound. Imagine Bridge Over Troubled Waters dry. What a debacle that would be. I use reverb, I use delay and I don't worry what the audio flavor of the month is. Hell tell Picasso that he couldn't paint with certain colors because they weren't in vogue. He'd have laughed you out of his studio.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

If only you'd asked if anyone is still using gated reverb...
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

No shortage of reverb on the chorus of this track: Shiny Toy Guns – Major Tom – Video & free listening at Last.fm
Old 17th November 2009

Reverb is making a BIG comeback in "popular genres"... There was a time when reverb was being used more subtly, and delay was much more prevalent. But, i am hearing a lot more reverb in tracks nowadays.

But, it never really went away.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

If its recorded dry I almost never go without reverb.
If there is good room mics involved I might not.

But then again I am nobody to refere to

Love though that reverb is coming back lately thumbsup
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, I use reverb alot. Not always noticably though. Springs, chambers, digital, etc. I use a lot of delays as well though. I like options and diversity.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Personally, I like things a lot drier. The bearded indie hipster crowd's growing obsession
with tons of reverb is annoying to me. I've worked with artists who just want it because it
"should" be there. Sometimes it serves the
song and sometimes it doesn't, but they want it anyway. That bugs me, that's just
being style conscious in the studio which sucks. I guess I don't really mind the sound of
it too much in the end, but I hate the rote nature with which some artists follow trends,
and to me the indie rocker reverb resurgence is just that... trendy.

On the other hand, I do always enjoy the way an artist can push me outside of my own
preferences and habits. Including mixing with more verb, I guess...

I remember when I first heard Neko Case's "fox confessor..." My friend asked me if I
liked it and I said "well, I can't even hear the music. I can only hear the reverb."
Some of the modern reverb productions are just going way too far IMO. Camera Obscura's
newest album is another example that sticks out in my head.
Michael Brauer does it well, though.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

LOVE reverb, always have
**** trends !
Old 17th November 2009
well i pretty much only record those indie hipster "williamsboard/beard/billionaire" types.

I would say that verb has become more specific as of recent, and it stylistically defines a genre.

i have been running my reverb returns through a pair of No Toasters Nice Pair preamps. really grits up an ITB digital verb. i find that it allows for a more reasonable use of verb without sounding like some kid in his basement with cubase.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Yeah I kinda don't like the sound of reverb. Maybe subtly on snare snare sometimes...
On vocals I usually use chorus and delay instead but even still usually try to keep it pretty dry unless the artists wants otherwise.
Maybe it's just that I haven't found a reverb I like the sound of enough yet...
I think squashing the shit out of room mics is the way to go.
Old 17th November 2009
i can understand not liking reverb, and often i find it to sound stupid.....

but if you really mess with it, it can be the perfect thing. also, room mics are often associated with trashy sounding recordings, so if you are working with someone who is all about really upfront sounds with space, reverb is the way to go.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

i can't believe there's a thread on this.
also had no idea a reverb can be "stupid"
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ha ha! Don't mind me, I am just highly bothered by indie hipsters.

I do like reverb. I promise.

Lately, when I'm doing ITB reverb, my method is as follows:
I always use a send or duplicate the channel as a source and put the reverb mix at 100%.
I NEVER put a reverb plug directly on a track, that just kills the tone dead. Then it's
usually an EQ to take out the high end, tame the low end, and usually boost a fun
midrange frequency. Then a compressor, my new favorite for this is the BF76. Set the
release as fast as it goes and really dig in and get the compression pumping. The
sound starts to jump around and really move! I love this effect, I was super excited
when I first discovered it. Then sometimes a stereo delay to make things move around
a little more even.

Shane, I'm going to try processing ITB verb with some outboard now, that probably
works like a charm.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i can't believe there's a thread on this.
I know, that's what I thought when I first clicked on the thread title. Now I'm
part of it, WTF!!! And bitching about hipsters...!

I'm out of here, time to go have a real day. carry on and crank that verb people!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

I use it on snare, gated snare rooms, and a smidgen on vocals.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I can't believe I have been doing this long enough to see the pendullum swing back and forth at least a couple of times on this.....
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've been in a discussion where it was claimed that reverb is out because there's no room in the mix for anymore. Everything is already so crowded and maximized there's no space for it. Not entirely untrue to me .. but I use it .. I just have to make room for it
Old 17th November 2009
the no toasters is essentially distorting the reverb return, but also further blurring the delays.

the 1176 plug sounds like a good plan, maybe even messing with some keys from kick and snare, so that when the kick and snare hit the verb ducks, but pushes in time when they arent playing.

as far as the whole hispter thing, i am not afraid to admit that this is my niche market. there are a lot of interesting things coming out of this demographic.

the same criticisms could have been said for post beatles boom bands.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

agreed.

Kind of funny, one of the best records I've ever done just came out and it's squarely
in this genre. And I had a blast doing it. And it's all ITB. And it has tons of reverb.
Hmmm...

Check it:

Amazon.com: Further/Free: Lowlights: Music
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Reverb came back in a big way in a lot of more underground styles over the past few years. Ulrich Schnauss and Khonnor albums come to mind along with other 'nu-shoegaze' type stuff.
Also dubstep (Burial etc.) and a lot of experimental/electronic stuff like Machinefabriek etc. and much hauntology type sounds.
Sounds great when it's done well, though as someone already said, some people tend to overdo it and throw it on everything.
I had some Mazzy Star (early 90s) on this morning which I hadn't heard for a while and was amazed at amount of reverb on it.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
Unless I miss my guess, reverb, big thick goopy reverb, may be on its way back in. It will likely take a few years to be seen as 'hip' by the mainstream (by which time it certainly will not be heh ).

But on the once cutting-edge but still trendy LA college station that many labels apparently still look to as some kind of a trendsetter, a lot of the mixes I hear from the UK have bunches of 'verb. I was a bit taken aback, but that's how things cycle.

Hems go up. Hems go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilander74 View Post
Reverb came back in a big way in a lot of more underground styles over the past few years. Ulrich Schnauss and Khonnor albums come to mind along with other 'nu-shoegaze' type stuff.
Also dubstep (Burial etc.) and a lot of experimental/electronic stuff like Machinefabriek etc. and much hauntology type sounds.
Sounds great when it's done well, though as someone already said, some people tend to overdo it and throw it on everything.
I had some Mazzy Star (early 90s) on this morning which I hadn't heard for a while and was amazed at amount of reverb on it.
I looked just one post above mine and found seeming confirmation of my observation. (I remember thinking the same thing about Mazzy Star back when they first hit and I bought (maybe) their first or second album. I didn't think it sounded too hip at the time. heh ) Time to catch up with all the other posts.

[EDIT: apparently, this is a trend others have also noted. Maybe I should listen to the stupid trendy station more. But doing that just reminds me of when it was actually pretty hip. And that makes me kind of sad. heh ]
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Seems to me the people who hate reverb are usually the ones who only have a digital version.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear