The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Couple of quick files, BAE 1073MPF / Lauten, U87, U47w Single-Channel Preamps
Old 16th November 2009

Couple of quick files, BAE 1073MPF / Lauten, U87, U47w

Just did a couple of very unscientific files I did for myself to hear the mics on a new client. BAE 1073MPF on everything, no compression or eq.

Whatcha think?

Neumann U87
SoundClick artist: James Lugo - page with MP3 music downloads

Lauten Clarion

Wagner U47w

Old 16th November 2009
All of them sound cool....there might be a little clipping in there...

I really like the sound of the Wagner...particularly noticeable if you listen to the wagner for a couple of minutes, then switch back to the U87...

thanks for posting..

cheers

Wiz
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like the Wagner best (by far). It seems that the 1073MPF sound different from the BAE1272, maybe a little clearer, more refined and more open?

Oliver
Old 16th November 2009
They all sound nice. The U47w handles the extremes of her voice with considerably more aplomb than the others. The Clarion sounds pretty great for the price.
Old 16th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
All of them sound cool....there might be a little clipping in there...
It clipped for a second on one the takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzjoe View Post
I like the Wagner best (by far). It seems that the 1073MPF sound different from the BAE1272, maybe a little clearer, more refined and more open?

Oliver
The new BAE pre is a bit clearer and more intense sounding, love it.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Whatcha think?

Neumann U87

Lauten Clarion

Wagner U47w

Wagner U47w sounds best to my ears. Lots of detailed body and intimate warmth. I wouldn't go for a U47 sound for a female like this though.

Neumann U87 sounds OK and way better as one would think if you read the U87 comments on GS.

Lauten Clarion sounds too brassy and holed for my taste especially when you have to make it sit into the mix. The U47 will shine even more when placed into the mix. That's the big advantage of the Neumann sound. Those mics take EQ like no other mics.

Listen to the different sibilants! The Lauten dies there whereas the Wagner shines.

The Nobel Prize goes to the Wagner. Now please send me over that damn Wagner! You don't deserve it Lugo! heh heh heh
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I really would like to hear the clarion a half step up like the others.

Overall I think I prefer the Neumann.

great post!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Agreed!

It's the sibiliants that separate the boys from the men.
The Wagner and the Lauten are in a different league here.

Thanks for sharing these files!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i imagine the lauten oceanus might fare a little better in this shootout...

however, i think this was more to give an idea of how a mic like the clarion would fit into a mic collection, but for only $600 it sounds like a great deal.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

u47 i think... thought she sang best with the 87 though!!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, the Wagner U47w is such a beautiful sounding microphone.
I am drooling while waiting for mine , it's #194 and arrives in about 30 days.
Thanks James for posting U47w clips. Do you have any more?
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Without listening to the mix it's tough to tell but I thought the U87 sounded best for her voice. Having said that I'd love to have heard a Wagner file with some eq to open up the top a bit.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I really enjoy it when someone takes the time to do a mic shootout and post the files. It helps me get a better picture of what various mics sound like without me buying and selling them etc. It has helped me to build up my small collection of mics without making too many big expensive mistakes. Thanks James.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Cat View Post
Listen to the different sibilants! The Lauten dies there whereas the Wagner shines.

So true... There's simply no way around a high-end mic like a vintage Neumann or new Wagner.

(If your serious about vocal recording)

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I vastly prefered the (to me) most balanced sound of U87 on this voice. On Wagner "ts" sibilants jump out of the otherwise smooth picture, while they sound embedded and more "polite" on U87, while also having enough low-mid charm...
The third mic (Lauten Clarion) didn't sound focused enough to me - it sounded "exploded" - voice all over the place, instead of just being a focused point - if that makes any sense to anyone.

But maybe it is also the performance...
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm with the 87 on this one
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
On Wagner "ts" sibilants jump out of the otherwise smooth picture
I felt this way with all off them
Maybe the singer is a little too close to the capsule - on the other hand looking at the pictures this didn't seem to be the case, if she sang to all microphones at once. Maybe angling the mics would help.

Hmm

I think I preferred Wagner, but those sibilants is an issue in all three examples!

::
Mads
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

+1 for wagner
Old 2nd December 2009

[QUOTE=mljung;4843690
I think I preferred Wagner, but those sibilants is an issue in all three examples!

Mads[/QUOTE]

Sibilance is an issue with the singer not the mics.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was my point, exactly!

Mads
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

nice!
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but that particular U87 (IMO, of course) deals best with it in that particular sound file (I would not even say for this voice, now, since mic placement, etc. could change things...)
Of course you cannot judge if it is overall a better mic or something than the other two from that one sound bit alone.
I would like to hear more and different Wagner U47w and U87 recordings, though, if possible.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Out of three. The most notorious mic on the planet that has never failed the music industry in the last 42 years. It was the most musical. Had the best mids/detail and I feel it would sit in the mix better than the rest for her voice. Was this a vintage one? What year? I am feeling 80s. I am sorry but I just love it when the U87 beats the competition. It rightfully deserves so. One of the hardest working mics in the industry.

It worked the best for her on these takes. But personally wouldn't be my choice for her.

She has a nice R&B gospel voice. I would choose a counter sibilant mic for a sibilant singer..or teach her some vocal recording techniques to bring down the sibilance from the mic. Or some other engineer recording techinques to get rid of that SSSSS. TTTT, CHHHs..They were annoying but it shows the natural state of these mics and I understand they are raw. Which I appreciate. I would use a U47 on a male more so than a female personally. Frank S to Jack Johnson sound beautiful on a U47 type. Tenors or baritones as a start with the U47.. Contralto or Sopranos..hmmm different mic.

Did you have the BAE on 1200ohms? "HI"?

Why wasn't your U67 in the test James? Thanks for the contribution.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Addict

I'm intrigued by the Lauten. I own both a vintage U87 pair and a U47. The U87 and Wagner sound very familiar and good. Getting back to the Lauten... it is picking up a dimension of the room that the other mics are not getting. This may be just the relative placement. It could also be that the Lauten is more musically accurate. Honestly, I think I'm hearing a "reach" in the Lauten that normally I only hear and associate with Neumann mics. Except this time its the Lauten pulling ahead of the Neumanns in this respect. I'll bet the Lauten track stands out nicely in the mix with its greater detail. I'd never heard of this mic until hearing this clip.
Old 19th May 2010
Gear Nut

i liked the 87 the most but the u47 is also really classy, just in a different way
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

James - was this a vintage U87 or a U87ai?

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2010

1986 ai

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search