The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Swell Season - Strict Joy
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Swell Season - Strict Joy

Enjoying this album a lot. Nice full trippy mixes on a number of the tracks that really work: "the rain", "high horses", "the verb", "two tongues".

Not sure if it was the production or the band that moved to a different place/level but I'm much more of a fan now than before. You should check it out.

Also a great example of how you don't have to destroy your masters. We should all be shooting for this kind of fidelity.

This and St Vincent's "Actor" will be my most overplayed albums to come out recently. Enjoy.

Russell
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

not to take away from the band at all but i think what your are hearing is peter katis hooking them up!
Old 16th November 2009
I like the snare sound, reminds me of Neil Young "Harvest"

A nice album. Good band. Check out the Frames, the singer's rock group.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

A big for Peter's work....he's an amazing producer and engineer, not to mention a heck of a nice guy!
Old 16th November 2009
Tarquin is crazy, so much gear! Where is that studio located?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is this the new album?

R.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Listened to it today. They can induce a trance. I particularly liked the piano sound.

www.bryanthames.com
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah. Just saw something on YouTube.

Nice snare sound indeed.

Seem like sweet people too.

R.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
I like the snare sound, reminds me of Neil Young "Harvest"

A nice album. Good band. Check out the Frames, the singer's rock group.
I hear that. I also like the frames most recent albums but sounds more like a "live" recording in a sense. Everything smaller and more space. This album sounds huge. Both have great songs and arrangements. This one is definately more defined recording wise.

Only thing that bugs me is the 2nd track on the CD. Every song has a certain sonic stamp thats beautiful but the 2nd track sounds totally different and throws you out of the zone. Wonder why that is..
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

Track 2

Possible explanation: Track 2 (Feeling The Pull) was recorded almost entirely "live" AND with different musicians than the rest of the record (except Paper Cup). It was recorded a few weeks after the record was thought to be done just to try a few new song ideas Glen had. There's leakage: drums, upright bass and two acoustic guitars all in the same room with basically no isolation. It's a little loose compared to the other tracks because the arrangement is basically being improvised, but I thought it had a great energy. Glen's lead vocal is a one take/first take thrown down right before we stopped early on a Friday night to go to a party. It has that freshness. Thanks for all the positive comments. I love the record, and the band was UNBELIEVABLY cool to work with...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

thanks for the info peter. i was listening to this record on the subway this morning! i have to agree with everyone that you do get killer snare sounds! any "tips/secrets" you want to give away?

ps. i'm picking up the fat bustard at the end of the year. thanks for the talk! i'm really looking forward to adding it to the studio. i'll drop you a line when i get it all set up.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKatis View Post
Possible explanation: Track 2 (Feeling The Pull) was recorded almost entirely "live" AND with different musicians than the rest of the record (except Paper Cup). It was recorded a few weeks after the record was thought to be done just to try a few new song ideas Glen had. There's leakage: drums, upright bass and two acoustic guitars all in the same room with basically no isolation. It's a little loose compared to the other tracks because the arrangement is basically being improvised, but I thought it had a great energy. Glen's lead vocal is a one take/first take thrown down right before we stopped early on a Friday night to go to a party. It has that freshness. Thanks for all the positive comments. I love the record, and the band was UNBELIEVABLY cool to work with...
Peter, thank you muchly for that. I suspected something like this. Still a great track with great vibe but a different one for sure. Well done on this album. Dare I say it, "timeless" production. Not hyped but clear and a full representation of everything without an overbearing time stamp on it.

Russell
Old 8th September 2010
Here for the gear

Swell season

PKatis, thanks for any and every comment about this record! I'm a Nashville studio cat and I can't stop listening to it!! I blogged about it!! Obsessed with a Record | TommyHarden.com It's so sonically perfect, you must really be proud! Could you give any hints on getting probably the dryest vocal sound I've ever heard??? Thanks! t Also, did you do any interviews about this record anywhere??
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of this record. Nice to see it give some love on here.

thumbsup
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

Great work Peter... some friends of mine (Varandistas) just played a couple of shows with them here in Brazil.... cool people... and great sound...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear