The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two old Shures - PE58 & PE585V - info/suggestions?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Two old Shures - PE58 & PE585V - info/suggestions?

A while back an acquaintance passed on a couple of old Shures he had laying around. I really don't know much about them and I was curious if anyone had ever used them. I'm also in figuring out if they can be modded to use XLR instead of their older-style connectors.

The PE58 looks like an older mutant 57, but bigger. The PE585V looks like an older 58 design, but made for cruise ships in the 70's. Which is to say, they both look like they could be really cool for sort of character-ish mics with some grit, which I'm very into.

Does anyone know how to adapt/change out the connectors so that they'll work with XLR cables? Is it even worth the time?

Any info appreciated.

Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear

Sorry to bump such an OOOOOLD thread...

But I just rediscovered the fact that I've had a PE58 sitting in a box for about 15+ years. Never really thought much about it until I started getting some other mics recently.

What can you guys tell me (and the OP, if he's still paying attention) about these? Is there a way to get a low-Z XLR output from them?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear