The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What software do I use to auto-tune a video like "auto-tune the news"?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

What software do I use to auto-tune a video like "auto-tune the news"?

I essentially want to do the same thing that the auto-tune the news guy is doing. I have a long video that I want to cut up and auto-tune snippets of it and set some background music.

I've never really done anything like this before (video editing, audio sync'n and apply effects) so I want to ping you guys first to see if you could give me some guidance.

I have ProTools, Reaper, Cubase and Ableton. What tools would be best for this type of work? Should I look at getting Adobe Elements or Sony Vegas?

Thanks!

YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #9: Nobel. health care. United Nations.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would start with auto tune! Then Final Cut pro if you are on a mac.
Old 16th November 2009
Yep, starting with A-T would be square one. (Cheapsters might want to look at the shareware real-time re-tuner G-Snap.)

I can't weigh in on the Adobe program but Sony Vegas Movie Studio (the consumer tier, maybe around $50-$60, with their DVD-Architect thrown in at the "Platinum" level, which usually sells for about $100 or so) is one of the better affordable video editors. (And the much more expensive Vegas Pro seems well-liked and very powerful.)

I'm one version back (version 9 is current), but v.8 has a very workable realtime preview of all edits and video FX plugs -- even on quite modest machines (that's me, with a P4 2.8 w/ 1.2 GB RAM), a bunch of usable FX, both realtime track-oriented video FX plugs as well as the ability to plug the same FX into individual clips within a track. (The audio in v.8 is a little less flexible, it has track-oriented realtime plugs -- but if you want to FX only a single clip within a given track, you have to apply that destructively. Of course, I think there are actually still a few DAWs that don't allow individual audio FX in individual clips, for that matter. Still, I found it an odd lack, given that that very useful functionality is in the video side.)

Overall, the operation of Vegas should be very easy for modern DAW users to suss out, since most of its conventions share those of DAW type interfaces like ACID, Sonar, Cubase, etc. "Corner roll-down" fades (in both audio and video), auto cross-fades when you drag one clip over part of another in a track, etc.

I haven't always had a great relationship with Sony as a consumer -- but it looks like Sony really did smart-up and leave the crew at Sonic Foundry intact to pursue Vegas, ACID, and Sound Forge with little or no apparent corporate meddling.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear