The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Electronics C2 compressor. Report!
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Maniac

qqqq

qqqqq
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

Have you tried it on 2 mix applications yet? I used to love 1178's on guitar sub's. What ratios did you compare against the 1176? (Squash = all buttons?)
Old 19th May 2003
Wow...

Thanks for the raves.

FYI, list price is $2495. Scandanavian distributor is Golden Age Music of Sweden. I think he'll give you a special deal if you want to get 5 of them!!

-Gil
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Is this the same Studio Electronics that makes those cheapo mics? If so, I'm afraid.
Old 19th May 2003
No.

It's the same Studio Electronics that makes those cool synths and synth pedals.

www.studioelectronics.com

-g
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Head

I've seen one and heard one being used at a friend's studio in venice, california.
Was used on electric guitar. I thought that the compression was a bit much (don't know whether it's the unit or the engineer) for tracking. It seems the guitar track really sit well, but lost its bottom and dynamic *duh*
My complaint is how it looks so modern and yet if you go to their website, they are trying this 'retro' 50-60s look and advertise it like it is supposed to emmulate 1176.

Moko
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear

any new thoughts on this compressor?
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

Neve Sucks, what is it that you didn't like about the C2's effect on the Kick drum?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Studio Electronics C2 compressor. Report!

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I finally got my hands on this new toy, and gotta say it is AMAZING! How ´bout fat, big, round, colour, tight, motha´........
The manual states that it is built on a 1176, but when I A/B them they did´nt sound very alike. The C2 adds more colour, more edge. I guess this is because of the Jensen input x-former and the Sowter (Neve 1272) output trannie.
I´d like to think of the C2 as new design, rather than a 1176 copy. This is a smacker, it pumps, it growls, it´s edgy, it´s attitude...

Let´s cut to the chase;

Plus:
Snare: Awesome, very fat, tons of body, kind of the Tom Lord-Alge sound.
Drumbus: Excellent, just glues everything together. Soften up high freq´s.
Vocals: Very edgy, great attack for the rock & roll super compressed vocals.
Dist Guitars: Fat, really softens up harsh freq´s.
$1995 Retail.
Built like a tank.

Minus:
Not much.
Could maybe be a bit to much an kick drum, but that´s just a matter of taste.....
The LED meters can be a little indistinct. The GR meters is a bit tricky to get on hold of.

I also had very good result when doing a quick mastering from a Protools mix. The C2 really warms up digital recordings.
That's all great info, but not much different than what the press release/info sheet states... i can't wait to try it in a real-world application, but until then, as always, the jury is still out...
Old 19th June 2003
Here for the gear

Mista Neve,

A belated but very heartfelt thanks for the love and colorful verse... we at S.E. live for this kind of reaction/appreciation. Re. the 'sensitive' 'spanky' side of the C2s: http://www.studioelectronics.com/ass...tion300dpi.pdf and http://www.studioelectronics.com/ass...ation72dpi.pdf
offer a modification procedure to rein in the "hotheadedness", e.g., reduce input sensitivity by approximately 1/3. Where else can you secure such hand-drawn, home-spun instructions by the likes of Greg St. Regis?

Your best work remains: You´ve gotta treat the C2 like your girlfriend, then it will love you back.......
The GR meters is a bit wild, so you should not look at ém, listen instead. Turn the input gain down and turn up the output to get less compression. I´ve used on the mix bus and it´s gorgeous!
Yes, You Are Correct, Sir.

Pounded our last Winter NAMM SE-1/ATC-X/Omega8 demo - http://www.studioelectronics.com/pro...omega8_aud.php (for the synth curious) through this beast and it was indeed gorgeous: bright, warm-blooded, detailed, and "ribboned"; a classic 'night and day' deally when the C2 was bypassed foolishly, and THEN... OH THEN! switched back on.

--
Regards,

Marc St. Regis
Companion Analogian
ANALOGIA INC.
204 West Grand, El Segundo California 90245
Tel: 805.383.9542 - Fax: 818.776.1733
Email: anal[email protected]
Web: http://www.studioelectronics.com
Attach a face and "joint" to the name:
http://www.studioelectronics.com/pro...music_page.php
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Electronics C2 compressor. Report!-selogo225.jpg  
Old 20th June 2003
Lives for gear

Another great thing about the C2 is that it doesn't need it's own OS! I know a certain other SE product that has been promised an updated OS for over a year! grudge But SE still make the best damn synths ever so who can complain if there are a few screws loose, it's not nearly as bad as having to service some big wall modular all the time! Sometimes progress is taken for granted.
Old 20th June 2003
Dan -

As an ex-Eventide employee, I LOVE your icon!!

Very funny, yet all too true! :(

-gil
Old 20th June 2003
Here for the gear

I had a chance to play with this compressor. This piece is right! It does what it does straight out the box. Almost without effort. Everything seems to be improved by it's processing but I bought it to enhance my drum sound. I like what it does to drums. The sound is thick even without eq. I am pleased with it. More later.
Old 20th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GilWave
Dan -

As an ex-Eventide employee, I LOVE your icon!!

Very funny, yet all too true! :(

-gil
yah man,, its def all too true aint it. i wish they offered student grants or something. what did you do w/ eventide btw?
Old 22nd June 2003
For the record, I meant that the Eventide Orville was Expensive, not the Studio Electronics C2s!!

As for what I did at Eventide, for 10 years (1986-1995) I was their Director of Sales and also handled Artist Relations (the Steve Vai H3000 endoresment was quite a coup!).

We sold mass quantities of H3000 (all flavors) and at the time, at $2395, it was considered expensive. Yet we sold them anyway.

It used to blow me away how some 17 year old kid would get his girlfriend to buy him one, and he'd put it into some massive rack that was bigger than most touring rock stars had.

Of course, back in '87 a Plug-In was a Glade air freshener.

-gil
Old 23rd June 2003
Lives for gear

dang, how i wish i was that kid!
Old 25th June 2003

Have got chance to get hold of one of these for v. good price..... will be trying it out soon.

Whilst I realise it's a box that does coloration well, can it do transparent compression - and how hard is it to set up for this? Also, does it have side-chain insert?

I am always looking for new compressors for double bass, piano and/or vox.... (I record mostly acoustic music). Might this box give any Rudy Van Gelder type sounds?
Old 4th July 2003
Lives for gear

Just wanted to chime in and add that i've been playing around with the C2 on guitars for the past couple weeks and really digging it... it's colorful, definately not transparent, reminds me of some rather famous older designs. The compression characteristics are 1176-ish but the overall tonal coloration is different, most likely due to the transformers, very warm and pleasing to the ear. I'd recommend it to anyone seeking colorful and exciting compression a la 1176/LA3A for guitars... i'll be trying it out on drums, bass, and vocals in the near future too.

Old 4th July 2003
Lives for gear

C2 didn't impress me at all. For that price, I'd rather get a FATSO or a couple of Distressors.
Old 4th July 2003
Lives for gear

In the UK at the moment it's cheaper than a single Distressor!
Old 7th July 2003
Here for the gear

I 've finally had time to try my c2 and I must say it is a beautiful machine. Its very punchy, smoothe and places sounds very well.
I love it on all of my drums and lead instruments!
for those saying that "It was like a dog humpin' your leg"

As the attack milleseconds are decreased and the release time is increased the c2 completely smoothes out. The slower the attack
and faster the release the more punch. to soften the signals there is several ways of going at it, but do like neve says" treat it like your girl friend"

There is alot of possibilities with this piece of art.

I believe the rock solid c2 is going to be a classic.
Old 8th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StuartMac
In the UK at the moment it's cheaper than a single Distressor!
Damn, I got the pricing of the C2 (alan smart) mixed up with the SE C2! (result of a two day straight studio session)

I did try out the SE C2 at NAMM and also at a friend's studio in LA and didn't think it was anything *that* good (emphasis on 'that').

The tools I prefer are STC-8 or Alan Smart C2(love it!) on the mix buss, LA2A/1176/VariMu for 'regular' compressing duties with 3 distressors and one fatso for 'heavy' smashing.

BTW StuartMac, what is the pricing on the SE C2 over there?
Old 8th July 2003
Lives for gear

Turmkey have it at £999 inc VAT - allegedly. Turnkey are notorious for advertising stuff which is always mysteriously out of stock when you try and order it.
Old 7th December 2003
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by CoolSynthSE
Pounded our last Winter NAMM SE-1/ATC-X/Omega8 demo - http://www.studioelectronics.com/pro...omega8_aud.php (for the synth curious) through this beast and it was indeed gorgeous: bright, warm-blooded, detailed, and "ribboned"; a classic 'night and day' deally when the C2 was bypassed foolishly, and THEN... OH THEN! switched back on.
I love the SE synths and pedals. Instant eargasim
So would a C2 be a great compressor for an electronic musician? Pounding & squashing the kick/snares to death and for phat thunderous bass. Would it be good for that, while adding a nice thick tone? I use my distressor for all of that.
Old 7th December 2003
Quote:
[i] Pounding & squashing the kick/snares to death and for phat thunderous bass. Would it be good for that?[/B]
mmmm, YES it´s the best for that!
Old 9th December 2003
rjx
Lives for gear

Sign me up!
Old 10th June 2005
Here for the gear

Just got my first Studio Electronics C2s thanx for advice

Just wanted to say thank-you for pointing me to the C2, have been using it for a week now and love it. It has such a creamy top even when under stress and doesn't discolour like 1176's. It can really take a hammering and with the xtra mods now available I think will become workhorse equipement in most studios as for the money you are getting a very heavy[feel those transformers] well made piece of kit. Sits gr8 beside 1176's, Chandler, Summit,Api and Al Smart compressors in our studio. Thanx again
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Head

Just got one in..

I A/B it with my universal audio 1176LN. And to sum it up. I can't keep both due to budget. So I sold my universal 1176LN to keep the C2s. It just sounds better overall. Everything I run through it sits better in the mix than the 1176LN. The UA sounds great alone..but in the mix..it lacks the mid range which the C2s has... I don't need to eq to have it sit in the mix well. And lastly the C2s is more modern sounding to me. And I like that. I like have two channels for stereo as well for the same amount of $$$ I spent. I bought mine used from ebay for $1350. So I got a deal. And I paid $1200 for my UA 1176...but I can't afford to keep both. So I sold the 1176LN.

I wish I could have kept it..oh well. Maybe another day. If you want a 1176LN clone this isn't it...But if you want a 1176 thats bolder, modern, punchy, sits in the mix well, nevish..get this. Thats my input.
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Old post but any one has the manual for this comp. or know what these switch at the back does?
Unterm term, lift and gnu
?
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Electronics C2 compressor. Report!-themightyc2-2.jpg  
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Maniac

bumpy bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search