The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When you double track vox do you?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

When you double track vox do you?

When you double track vocals do you leave them be, or.....

roll off all the lows and highs

pan them just either side of centre

stack only

no effects and leave them dry

automate them just for punch on certain words

I have tried all of the above and had mixed results as you would imagine as every song has it's own requirements .

any more tips would be really helpfull

thank you
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I find it helps define verse and chorus to have wide panned backgrounds in chorus, and tighter panning in verses.

Highs are usually rolled off a bit...

Melodyne can be useful if necessary to allign and stretch individual words to get timing right if backgrounds are loud enough to distinguish individual voices.... and get the transients to match up.... and to help keep a fairly consistant amount of pitch variation if it's getting a bit too random

If I am going for a more modern sound, I will start with a concept... like 3 types of sounds in the verse... then distinguish them. They might look like the following:

1 Single vocal with minimal effects

2 Single vocal with minimal effects and two backing tracks panned 10 and 2 with considerably more verb and a sync'd delay

3 Heavily banded "am radio" eq'd single vocal.

Typical rotation might be 1 with 2 at the end of every other bar, and 3 just before the break into chorus... then chorus with wider panning... sometimes all wide with no center to really give a change from verse.

Obviously a bit much depending on type of song, but I've thrown this type of approach at music that would seem to be far from the mainstream and ended up with something much more "radio friendly" than before the treatment.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Normally have it sitting dirctly underneath the main vox but 6db lower in volume. Might eq it differnetly to the main as well. Depends though what I'm trying to achieve with it.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

I never understood the -6db thing.

Even at -10db all my doubles are far too loud and 'distinguishable'.

I really wonder if I'm doing something wrong
:S

Im vocaligning and tuning and everything, but I've never been able to really have the double give me much without being too obvious.
Old 16th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyMike View Post
I never understood the -6db thing.

Even at -10db all my doubles are far too loud and 'distinguishable'.

I really wonder if I'm doing something wrong
:S

Im vocaligning and tuning and everything, but I've never been able to really have the double give me much without being too obvious.
if you're tuning the double and aligning it tightly with the main vocal you may not be getting enough of a difference. Usually I'll tune the main ld vocal and have the singer do the doubles to that, if they're decent singers the doubles really shouldn't need any pitch correction. Also not every vocalist sounds good doubled
Old 16th November 2009
If I'm going down that route I find triple tracking is much, much better. something magic happens after 3.
I would process them all to sound as good as possible in the track and then balance them accordingly. I would only tune and time where really necessary.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

I often group all my dt's together and compress them a bit more than the LV or the main harmony..

I might pull their pans out a tiny bit wider, depending on what I'm trying to achieve..

I also tend to roll off lows/highs a little more than the LV too, but again it depends on what I'm trying to achieve..

Sometimes I love that scratchy in your face DT vocal sound (al la Joanna Newsom) so I'll go that route.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear