The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 track tape machine to ensemble
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

8 track tape machine to ensemble

Hello everyone,

I am about to get my Otari MX5050 8 track tape machine running and I want to have its output transferred directly to my computer. This is the rough plan:

music->8 mics->8 channel mic pre->MX5050->apogee ensemple->computer

my question is about the apogee ensemble (that I don't own at the moment). I am looking at its specs and it says it has 4 mic pres and 8 channels. so....can I use the ensemble or will I need to have the 8 tracks from the MX5050 go through 8 mic pres to go to the box?

thanks
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

You can use the 4 mic inputs of the ensemble as line inputs to connect the first 4 outs of your tape machine. You can also use the 4 preamps of the ensemble for tracking directly to the tape machine using either the insert sends or the inboard dsp mixer, so you will only need 4 other channels of preamps.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
You can use the 4 mic inputs of the ensemble as line inputs to connect the first 4 outs of your tape machine. You can also use the 4 preamps of the ensemble for tracking directly to the tape machine using either the insert sends or the inboard dsp mixer, so you will only need 4 other channels of preamps.
What if I only want to use the ensemble as the back end? I want 8 channels of tape already recorded on to go into the computer, do I need the four extra mic pres for this?
Another related question: what are the 4 other channels on the ensemble good for without pres? line in?
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlinks View Post
What if I only want to use the ensemble as the back end? I want 8 channels of tape already recorded on to go into the computer, do I need the four extra mic pres for this?
Another related question: what are the 4 other channels on the ensemble good for without pres? line in?
No you don't, you can use the first 4 ins of the ensemble as mic pre OR line in. The next 4 are line in only.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear