The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
We need to start putting our collective foot down.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

We need to start putting our collective foot down.

I was just reading the thread where someone was looking for opinions on engineering for free based on getting paid after something happens with the music. We really need to stop falling for this crap. If someone always comes along and does it for free this scam will live on forever since there are hundreds of schools pumping out people good enough to get a level and bounce to disk. Even if you are doing it for experience, you need to charge something!!!!! $10 per hour sounds like nothing but its better then FREE!!! We are not musical credit cards but thats what we will be treated like if we don't value our craft. You are better off having a part time job and building your clientele from people that will pay you something everytime. The people that can pay know how to make money!!! The music biz is the land of empty promises, don't make it even easier. If all of us actually decided to stop being used, what would they do?? Seriously?? The people that sucked at engineering wouldn't get through their first meeting and maybe they would reconsider paying you. People can try and record themselves all day, but unless they got magical ears its gonna take them at least a year or two of not getting good and consistent results. This will take a toll on them and they will truly understand the value of an engineer. As an engineer I promise to never work for free again. Anyway....cya at the drive thru. At least I'll get a check.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

There's free and there's free... I do it for free when I want to. Not when asked.

People give away their work at "More free stuff... Let's do it again!" - thread all the time. And it's cool.

If you go with the "We pay you when we get signed", you are not doing it for free. You are agreeing to be taken for a ride. There is a difference.

Well, that's just my 2c.
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

word
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
As an engineer I promise to never work for free again. Anyway....cya at the drive thru.
Even in the fast food industry there are people asking for spec deals
Attached Thumbnails
We need to start putting our collective foot down.-b0963.jpg  
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

This thread reminds me of a Harlan Ellison clip I saw some time ago, might be cathartic for you:
YouTube - Harlan Ellison -- Pay the Writer
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Now video says it all.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just reading the thread where someone was looking for opinions on engineering for free based on getting paid after something happens with the music. We really need to stop falling for this crap.
Just to clarify (I started that thread). I was never under the impression that it was a good thing. It sounded 100% wrong to me. Nor was I asking anyone if I should do it. I, in no way, have ever said yes to this type of thing or ever felt it was worth any type of pursuit. It's always seemed like a scam to me. I just wanted others to weigh in and share their stories/feelings.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

ryst. totally didn't mean it towards you at all. It just made me think because I actually believe its offensive to ask someone that is skilled to do something for free. I am actually happy you are skeptical and seeking opinions first.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
ryst. totally didn't mean it towards you at all. It just made me think because I actually believe its offensive to ask someone that is skilled to do something for free. I am actually happy you are skeptical and seeking opinions first.
I know you didn't. I just wanted to be absolutely sure that no one thought I was asking "hey guys, should I take this?" In my mind I can't imagine this EVER being a good deal for an engineer. But I wanted to ask to see if anyone could prove me wrong. Plus, I sometimes have a hard time typing my thoughts feelings so I wanted to be extra sure.

I've tried to be nice in the past (and with this last phone call) with people looking to sell me on that type of situation. But I'm not gonna be nice about it anymore. It's really gotten under my skin. Especially since I am a professional and not some one just starting out. I'm gonna to have to show people why my nickname is "Nasty N8" if I get approached like that again.heh
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear