The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo Imaging Delay Affecting Low End Freq
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Stereo Imaging Delay Affecting Low End Freq

Yes the title does sound confusing!

Ozone 4

Mulitband Stereo Imager

As you can see from the Picture you can have multi band channel delay controls.

Now I assume the multi band channel delay controls are for adjusting the perceived location of the stereo field but why does it affect the frequency so drastically?

For eg. I was playing around today with something and when I moved the Low end Stereo Image delay control even a tiny bit I got such a Low end boost

(one that sounded rather nice on the material I was using the ozone for I might add) Can anybody explain in some detail of why this happens and what effect the delay controls have,

Yes it sounded nice and the low end boost complimented what I was doing but the correlation meter was all over the place and more to the -1 than the +1, now I assume this is not a good thing...

What exactly is the correlation meter informing me? What is -1 and +1?

I have always trusted my ears not my computer screen when it comes to music and although this low end boost sounded nice I couldn't help think that the phase meter going all haywire and the correlation meter not acting normally that something wasn't right, could this affect how it translates?

If somebody could enlighten me it would be muchly appreciated,

Thanks In Advance
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Hello,

I will be unable to explain you why the low end delayed in this plug in make the lows being louder.
I used to work with Izotope3, but not anymore...and don't know much about O4.
The thing I can tell you is that I never liked to play with that delay thing on band freqs, so i alway kept them at 0.

Why I didn't like to delay those?
You experienced it!
The phasemeter goes in the -1 range, which is really bad news.

Actually, the phasemeter shows the signal corelation. It has to be between 0 and +1. If it goes rarely in the negative part (but not reaching -1) near the 0 it is quite good.
But your signal must not stay around 0 during the song.

Instead of -1 and +1, consider -90° and +90°. Your signal 'has to be' between +30 to +90, and on some short part of your song, it can go between -30 to +30.
The 30 number is not a rule here, just to give you an idea were your signal have to be.

Ok, but I hear you already saying "what this shit is all about _Barnee?"
I'll try to keep it as simple as possible:

Your signal is an electric waveform that oscillate.
Like a waveform on the sea. It has hills and valleys.
When Izotope shows you +1 constantly, it means your signal is a pure mono one.
When it shows you -1, the signal is said 'out of phase'.
If you sum such signal to mono, part of your mix (instruments? Reverb?) will disappear. You have to avoid the -1 because of that reason. Otherwise you might get troubles in some HiFis system that use surround system...And in surround there is mono sum. This is a reason among others...
It cans also be problematic for radio broadcast, TV broadcast...
And put an headphone on, you'll have a strange feeling hearing such a signal...

Make that experience:
Record a track that we call A on your DAW.
Duplicate that track. Duplicated track is named B.
Pan A full left.
Pan B full Right.
Hit play, and watch Ozone.
It will show you +1, because A=B so everything is in absolute phase.

Now, insert on track B a trim plug in with phase reverse function (I think the FREE G by Sonalksis do that).
Reverse phase of B.
Hit play and watch Ozone, it will show you -1. You're "out of phase"...

Now, hit play and engage/disengage the phase on track B... Put an headphone and hear the difference.

Ok, now keep B 'out of phase' then Pan A in center, and B in center.
Hit play.
Do you have sound? No.
Why?
Because when you flipped the phase on B you set it to negative. So you have A, and B that is indeed -A.
As we've panned everything in center, we're adding the track A to track B.
A+B
but as B now is -A, you have A+(-A) that makes A-A...and A-A=0 no sound.
There is a lot to say about phase, I just tried to be easy understanding (despite the long post).... Well, I hope so!

Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the informative reply, much appreciated.

What you said regarding the correlation has made much more sense now thanks.

I am aware of phase issues in general both when recording and how it cancels out when the polarity is switched on one of two identical waveforms and I appreciate your reply, however I didn't know that the Stereo Imaging delay controls would cause this to happen in such a drastic way, It makes me wonder why they included them in the first place?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Sometimes, delay is used to create depth... But like you, I don't know why they put this like this. I've never been able to make something good with.
Same thing about their reverb.
On some rough demo, you can use it to make a fake space and 'create a room'.
But you have to use it carefully, there is a parameter (wideness?) that push your signal 'out of phase' and that sucks a lot.

Ozone is a great tool, I used it now just to as an analyser or to make quick settings to see where i have to go. But I remove it to use other plugs for final treatments.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear