The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEED HELP! Compressor/ Limiter
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

NEED HELP! Compressor/ Limiter

I want to get a stereo compressor/ limiter for mastering proposes. I want to be able to get things up to commercial levels, which means I am into playing the loud game when clients want it. I am looking at:
Universal Audio 2- 1176
Universal Audio 2-La-2
Manley stereo variable MU
Focusrite Red 3
Chandler TG12413
Avalon AD2044

Those are the ones I am looking at, or if you have any other ideas let me know. Let me know if you use any of the ones ive listed and have any comments.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

I'm going to go out on a limb here as I am NOT a mastering engineer.

If you are even thinking about using an 1176 or an LA2A for mastering, I would leave it to a mastering professional if you are doing work for clients. These are coloring comps and not intended for mastering purposes. I feel you may do more harm than good.

I self master using Ozone 4 and a few other plugs (Nebula3 tapes, pre's, and eq's, etc & TRacks Opto or Fairchild at times). Ozone has a pretty idiot proof limiter that can be automated & is quite flexible and musical. This is only for my own productions. I get a good result for a DIY approach. You may want to try this route as you can get many tools for less money than hardware.

If you are on the inexpensive end and your clients are not going to get their work mastered, I would use the above plug ins. If your clients may get some air play, I would get the work mastered professionally as it will only make YOU sound better.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanmd View Post
I want to get a stereo compressor/ limiter for mastering proposes. I want to be able to get things up to commercial levels, which means I am into playing the loud game when clients want it. I am looking at:
Universal Audio 2- 1176
Universal Audio 2-La-2
Manley stereo variable MU
Focusrite Red 3
Chandler TG12413
Avalon AD2044

Those are the ones I am looking at, or if you have any other ideas let me know. Let me know if you use any of the ones ive listed and have any comments.
Are you a mastering engineer? Do you have any knowledge/experience when it comes to putting a mastering chain together? If you do you probably know it almost never just one unit (depending on what you're after of course). And none of the above are universal enough to be that. And none of them would serve too well as a brick-wall limiter either if that's where you're going with the loudness aspect. They're all excellent compressors though and some (The Red, VariMu, and 2044) are amazing as master-buss comps if that's your thing...
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Ha, I am not a mastering engineer. In fact, I have little to no idea about what I am doing. I am just going off of what limited information I can find. I have a G4 with pro tools tdm 6.4.1 and two digi 888s, so my plugin capability is really limited. Suggestions? BTW I am very well aware that there are about a million people that I could just send my stuff to for mastering, but I want to be able to do it myself.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

get the massey l2007 plugin and pull the theshold down until your liking. if you're happy with your mix that's all you need. that will save you about 5gs. now if you want a buss compressor to add some analog flavor that's another story.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
get the massey l2007 plugin and pull the theshold down until your liking. if you're happy with your mix that's all you need. that will save you about 5gs. now if you want a buss compressor to add some analog flavor that's another story.
+1 on that

The way I would go about it is try to learn as much as possible from various sources (books, articles, personal contact with MEs) and get a hang of it using a limited number of cheaper tools (yes, plugins would work) before going and spending so much money on gear you might not even like for the purpose once you know what you are doing.

The way I see it you shouldn't try to grow into gear you already own, but rather use new gear to take you to the next level when you're ready .

My 2c
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

3630? Cause if your gonna screw things up, roll out the big guns!!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear
You will get a mix more easily louder by applying correct EQs in mixing than by compressing in mastering.

You can have it loud or you can have it good. Why do you want it loud ?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear