The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to use LA2A Compressor
Old 25th January 2010
Gear Nut

Yes!! That is exactly what I am doing?I am compressing in mono and feeding it into a stereo main mix. maybe my original question should have been. is it ok to compress in mono with an la2a ?
Old 13th January 2012
hey guy's, so my band finally released our debut album. i recorded the vocals w/ the LA2A, isa one pre amp for pretty much all the guitars and vocals. check it out - and yes everyone had a blast mentioning how a newbie can invest in a la2a but i hope i did it some justice to the investment in the end thanks alot.

Fables of Cantt | Facebook
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting mix. Vocals out to the side and the rest down the middle. It works though. Good job.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

happywaters sounds pretty damn good for a 'newbcake' if you ask me.... disregard all these genius's, they were obviously born with the intuition to use an LA2A.

BTW the LA2A has a 600R front end, some console inserts won't play nicely.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

happywaters, the song's Chorus is BEAUTIFUL!
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Addict

gc pro, jeez, could have showed you how to hook it up at least, those guys are fools
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

revisting this thread i'm taking back my apology of being a prick. there are some insanely stupid questions contained in here and insanely asshole replies from some asking said questions. read a ****ing book, google some shit, take some iniative. i'm glad to be a prick in this thread.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

the song sounds pretty good. props
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Good God.....what is the point of ridiculing this guy!?!?!? What does that accomplish???!!!??? Obviously nothing good....nothing remotely productive......and most likely just prevents someone else from asking a question because they're too scared they'll be lynched for not already knowing. Wow!

Obviously there was a time when every single person on this thread did not understand signal flow. No one was born with this knowledge. You had to learn at some point, one way or another.

So he bought a piece of gear before learning how to use it.....big freakin' deal. What do you care?!??!? At least he bought the right thing for what he needed!

--

Something similar happened to me last week and my question was (in a nutshell):

"When using the PT HD Native Card, am I able to use the Lynx AES 16e card simultaneously for it's digital i/o?"

And everyone but one person answered politely and professionaly. And as for that one person.....it's not like this was a Recording 101 question...

Here's the thread....

Anyways, just bugs me when people get on other people's case when all they're trying to do.....ALL they're trying to do is learn. That's it. Learn.

And you can see my responses to the rudeness towards the bottom of the page.

Good for you OP for asking questions and learning.

Scott
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

i should have been more clear, i was mostly refering to the response of the dude asking about using his la2a for stereo purposes then posting a snarky reply with a definition of stereophonic. came off as insanely rude to me for someone asking a question that he obviously didn't know the answer to. i'm not a dick and i'm more than happy to help people out but that really put me off.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound View Post
i should have been more clear, i was mostly refering to the response of the dude asking about using his la2a for stereo purposes then posting a snarky reply with a definition of stereophonic. came off as insanely rude to me for someone asking a question that he obviously didn't know the answer to. i'm not a dick and i'm more than happy to help people out but that really put me off.
No worries.

I was just talking about some of the replies in general....and also because the exact same thing happened to me in the thread I posted. And that was a pretty specific issue regarding interface / aggregate compatibility.

Anyways....

Cheers,

Scott
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

EDIT: @theblue1- Just noticed you deleted your post (right after I posted my response haha). Not sure why....it was no big deal...anyways here's my response.

Hey-

I totally see your point. And I, too, probably learned the same way you did (which I think you were saying was handed-down knowledge from other engineers, watching them work, working with them, etc)....the good old staring at the back of the engineers head for hours on end days.

Anyways, I guess the difference for me is that it doesn't bother me that I learned one way (through hard work and experience) and some other guy learns by asking. Also, he's only learning which cord plugs into which jack....and in which order. There's not really a whole lot else to gain compared to working alongside an engineer. The experience must be....well, experienced.

So, I do see your point. And I guess I can see how it would bother some....but I don't see the need for outright rude remarks towards this guys (not saying you did- just in general). But then again, that's sorta how I am about things in general.

All good,

Scott
Old 14th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy View Post
EDIT: @theblue1- Just noticed you deleted your post (right after I posted my response haha). Not sure why....it was no big deal...anyways here's my response.

Hey-

I totally see your point. And I, too, probably learned the same way you did (which I think you were saying was handed-down knowledge from other engineers, watching them work, working with them, etc)....the good old staring at the back of the engineers head for hours on end days.

Anyways, I guess the difference for me is that it doesn't bother me that I learned one way (through hard work and experience) and some other guy learns by asking. Also, he's only learning which cord plugs into which jack....and in which order. There's not really a whole lot else to gain compared to working alongside an engineer. The experience must be....well, experienced.

So, I do see your point. And I guess I can see how it would bother some....but I don't see the need for outright rude remarks towards this guys (not saying you did- just in general). But then again, that's sorta how I am about things in general.

All good,

Scott
Yeah, I was afraid it sounded too negative. And, after saying I didn't want to beat up on the OP, who seems like a nice guy, it seemed to me that it might sound like I was, anyhow.

But, yeah, I am sometimes frustrated that some folks don't make more use of the amazing resources we have at our disposal. There are tutorials, books, articles, videos, info ranging from the general to the highly specific. And often just a few clicks away. Still, over and over, we see people creating threads asking questions about real basic basics and, essentially, asking people to take the time to write out explanations for answers one could get in 20 seconds with a Google search.
Old 14th January 2012
Love this music.. Strange mix.. But beautiful song...
Old 15th January 2012
SteelyDani, MicDaddy, Oldone, suedesound and muziekschuur,

Thanks alot for appreciating the music! really made my day.

dimag333 - it WAS GC Pro that told me to take my mic into the LA2A and then into the preamp. they told me many more things that weren't really accurate, but they made it all up w/ excellent customer service. Anyways guys, I do plan on making further high-end purchases so will definitely touch base if I need more help

Regards!
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

I know it is an old thread but I'm quite shocked how people think they know it all when they know nothing.
Some magic vocal recordings have been done plugging directly the mic into a LA2A
(mics that don't need phantom or with a separate phantom)
The LA2A has about 30 db gain available.
Not the usual way, but it has been done !
So before telling the guy he should not even own the compressor..they should give a listen
to a beautiful example : Fotheringay (Sandy Denny) recorded by Jerry Boys, U47 straight into LA2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3x01BYDmDY
and realize that the OP's question was not stupid at all.
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear
I just bought a Fairchild 670, can I plug my guitar straight into it?
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Jerry Boys in Tape Op : "I knew what John Wood did, using a [Neumann U]47. Often he wouldn't use a mic amp. He'd just go straight into a [Teletronix] LA-2A, because it's got lots of gain in it. He didn't want to compress a lot, so I'd often do the same, because I felt that it sounded great."
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
I just bought a Fairchild 670, can I plug my guitar straight into it?
If you can afford a Fairchild, you are allowed to do anything you want with it.
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tammer View Post
Some magic vocal recordings have been done plugging directly the mic into a LA2A (mics that don't need phantom or with a separate phantom)
+1
40db and the tube setup is cathode follower, an excellent 1st stage mic preamp for mojo
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear