The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor going crazy!
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Monitor going crazy!

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place btw)

I have been using a pair of M-Audio BX8a monitors for roughly 3 years now and they've been great so far. However, last week I started having an issue with one of them. When I turned it on (after I've started up my DAW as usual) it started buzzing and popping very loudly, so I shut it off quickly and checked all the inputs.
Everything seemed fine so I switched it on again and the same thing started happing, loud popping and buzzing noise. I got very frustrated after a while so I didn't care anymore and just let it buzz and pop for about 10 seconds and then it just calmed down and stopped. I completed a studio session that night without further problems.
I returned to the studio again and the same thing happened with the same speaker. So I unplugged everything, I tried disconnecting the audio cable and pluging only the power chord into a different outlet but that didn't help. Again, after I switched it on and off a few times and let it buzz and pop for a while it stopped. It keeps getting worse I'm waiting for the speaker to actually pop

What could be happening? I'm afraid the buzzing and popping will ruin the speaker if this continues. Please let me know

I contacted M-Audio as well but no reply yet...
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Well it looks like you posted this 3 years ago but I can tell you now you need to replace the capacitors if you even still have them that is a common issue.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear