The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adventures with a Rack Compressor.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Adventures with a Rack Compressor.

Hi,
At my local music store I bought the Behringer MultiCom 4 channel compressor. When I tried it at a gig, I realized that the mixer that we are using only has one send receive, so the other 3 compressor channels were unused. Is there any real problem with sending two or three microphones through the same compressor channel?

Anyway - I was thinking of swapping this compressor in for a HIGHER quality one with less channels... Nothing TOO expensive. I need some advice on which one to pick though
Thanks a lot,
Crispin
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are you sure you checked the mixer properly? It might only have one aux send/recieve, bu insert points are what you really need and these will either be on every channel, or none at all.

What mixer are you using?

Jim
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hi,
We use my friends rack mixer at the gigs - I don't know it too well, but we could use a bigger mixer with the ability that you stated. Is is really necessary to run each mic on a different compressor channel though? Also, all of the talk about this thing breaking down makes me nervous.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ha ha, don't get too alarmed by the Behringer hatred! If you've got a good one, i.e. one that hasn't died immediately, you should be fine. If it did go during a gig, just pull the insert leads out and continue.

Yes, it is better to have a compressor for each mic channel.

If you run all the mics through one compressor channel, you'll have some strange things going on.

For instance, when you have just a lead vocal happening, the compressor will just work on that. But then, when the backing vox come in, the compressor will have more to chew on and will compress more. This will result in the level of the lead vocal coming down, and then jumping back up again when the backing vox stop.

The effects will vary with settings, but that's what I'd imagine will happen.

What sort of group are you playing with, and what sort of PA? if you have a smallish rig and struggle with feedback at all, compressors are going to make things a whole lot worse....

Jim
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Yeah, unfortunately we do use a fairly small PA... Two large powered monitors RIGHT behind the mic's. Feedback is a big issue, but that was the case even before the compressor. Using the compressor, the low parts are higher, but the overall volume isn't as loud -- unfortunately. I've been wanting to use a compressor for a long time, but this feedback thing is a real pain :(
Also, it has no knee, attack or release settings, do you find those useful for live shows?
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Man, there is some serious behringer hatred on the Internet... Would I really be much better off with a low-end 2 channel dbx?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispinp View Post
Man, there is some serious behringer hatred on the Internet... Would I really be much better off with a low-end 2 channel dbx?
Depends on what you're using it for, but in most instances I'd say YES!!!!
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

In terms of reliability or sound quality? I'm basically just looking to compress vocals for live use -
Cheers,
Crispin
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear