The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your first recording you ever made (or as close as possible)
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Post your first recording you ever made (or as close as possible)

Here's the first (real) recording I ever did. I had just recently bought a Digi 002 and an M_audio octane. It was my first introduction to Pro Tools, and a friend of mine who had a band wanted to record one of their jams. Hear it and weep!
Attached Files

All Night Long (carlos).mp3 (3.43 MB, 3540 views)

Old 15th November 2009
Here's the first attempt at something song length, though still instrumental and it didn't go all the way to a full song. It's called Hot Buttered Rocks, and is kind of a rocked up version of something in the Hot Buttered Soul vein.

Though it's not the best recording ever made, listen at least up to one of the choruses. I hit on the chorus structure by accident, so I can't claim much responsibility, but it's extremely cool the way the bass and drums work against the rest of the song.

[EDIT: See post #20 below for a much better version]
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Haha. Awesome man! Funkay!

Is there unintentional talking in there?
Old 15th November 2009
Unfortunately I can't. It was when I was very young - somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, and my father recorded me on his Presto home disk lathe. I said "MIKWAFONE!"

I'd as soon let you see my bare-butted baby pictures........
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Unfortunately I can't. It was when I was very young - somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, and my father recorded me on his Presto home disk lathe. I said "MIKWAFONE!"

I'd as soon let you see my bare-butted baby pictures........

Awwwwww! I bet they're cute.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

Yikes,

I had to go back to the archives for this one..

One of the first songs I wrote, first recording I think. Done on a Fostex X-26 four track.

Clips from Evil Dead recorded straight from the TV speaker

21 or 22 years ago I believe.

Keep On Fighting
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Post the year the recording was made too.

When I made my first recording, there was no such thing as a Digi002 (or any such thing as a modern DAW), and I'm not that old.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

my first recording i ever recorded, was with my dad. He put a limp Bizkit cd in when i was like 5 years old and i sang along to it,
i think he has the tape, ill find a way to convert it and put it on here.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Here's one from my first "recording session" I did in late 1988/89. I was 12 back then, my brother had sort of a karaoke tapemachine/mixer/amp, you could record on one tape, then play it back and play with it, realtime overdubs/bounces. I played guitar and sang, then I played drums, then bass... I did a few covers, here's an Eddie Cochran tune. Note the silly words, I learned them by ear, didn't understand a thing. Funny how I knew at the age of twelve that I'll never love again...
Love Again.mp3
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

My first was takes were in 60's -- nothing left from those days ---This was Lake Tahoe ~ the Winter of '75 ---6ch Tapco mixer direct to a 2 trk Optonica cassette --- Roto toms & a couple mics / Sunn bass amp

The writer/lead singer.guitarist is still playing in that band >> 30+ years ...that's dedication
Attached Files

64 k STONED ZONE.mp3 (3.05 MB, 119 views)

Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Post the year the recording was made too.

When I made my first recording, there was no such thing as a Digi002 (or any such thing as a modern DAW), and I'm not that old.
I think it was sometime in 2003. I wish I still had the session file, cuz I could tell you the exact date! I know it was recorded the day after I bought the 002.
Old 15th November 2009
Mine would have been about two years ago.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear
Porta 1

1987 - 13 years old

Tascam Porta 1
Generic Flying V bass
Casio CZ1000
Baldwin Acrosonic Piano
Roland TR 505
Realistic boundary mic

I love listening to all of this stuff!!!
Attached Files

05 - Slap and Piano thing.mp3 (1.44 MB, 149 views)

Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
1987 - 13 years old

Isn't it humbling?
Old 15th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral James T. View Post
Here's one from my first "recording session" I did in late 1988/89. I was 12 back then, my brother had sort of a karaoke tapemachine/mixer/amp, you could record on one tape, then play it back and play with it, realtime overdubs/bounces. I played guitar and sang, then I played drums, then bass... I did a few covers, here's an Eddie Cochran tune. Note the silly words, I learned them by ear, didn't understand a thing. Funny how I knew at the age of twelve that I'll never love again...
I can picture you with your hair slicked back and your collar turned up :-)
Old 15th November 2009
Here are some even more partial ones that pre-date the one above. All fairly rough, but some very good ideas to come back and revisit at some point:

One called Afro Metal Funk
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Tmp...oMetalFunk.wma

One called Also Puked Zarathustra. It starts off kind of spacey and then goes metal.
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Tmp...arathustra.wma

And an experimental variation on that first song above, done more as a 70's rock song, called Regurgitatis.
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Tmp...sVariation.wma

If nothing else, I should get points for song names.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear
Fun Thread

I posted this song in another thread when I was going down memory lane.

Recorded in 88/89

I had just bought some recording gear and wanted to play.

wrote song in ten minutes, brother in law wanted to try and sing after a few

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...recording.html
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

dig it!

That should have been Beverly Hills Cop or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
1987 - 13 years old

Tascam Porta 1
Generic Flying V bass
Casio CZ1000
Baldwin Acrosonic Piano
Roland TR 505
Realistic boundary mic

Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mine's long gone. Recorded on a portable cassette player with a cheesy little mic. I did a tape of various covers of Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and, yes, John Denver for my Grandma and Grampa who were in Jamaica with the Peace Corps in '72.

Got to go visit them the next year, and the Customs dicks did everything but take the strings off my guitar when I went through.fuuck
Old 16th November 2009
Bcgood was bored today and did a quick mastering job on my Hot Buttered Rocks tune above. It sounds great. Of course, at that time, I didn't even know what mastering was. I was amazed if if it was just all in tune. But it's a good example of what can be done with a pretty trashy sounding original track.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Tmp...Rocks_bcgm.mp3
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

( Removed )This is my first try in music demo recording after leaving film/TV industry.
It was done in a quite decent studio with 24 trk of 20bit adat around -98.
Didn´t remember I had this

Matti
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm going to dig some stuff up and a friend who recently got in touch who I did some of my first with said he has the masters. I'm psyched to hear them. I wish I still had my first commercial recording done in a homebuilt garage studio in like 1976. Shag rugs and pennies.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

We should have a little vote for best first *complete* recording, as long as everyone was honest about it being 1. an actually first completed recording, and 2. that they were at the helm, not a 2nd engineer or anything.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll dig mine up. Was on a Yamaha MTX-1 cassette 4-track recorder. Would have been all line-in stuff.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

OK lets see, Well I was quite lucky, my first recording was done by a friend at Buzz NYC- 2001
Attached Files

1 Audio Track.L 1.mp3 (4.95 MB, 67 views)

Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
We should have a little vote for best first *complete* recording, as long as everyone was honest about it being 1. an actually first completed recording, and 2. that they were at the helm, not a 2nd engineer or anything.
I vote for Dean's contribution! I love how it "could" sound with real instruments in place of MIDI. So I guess I like the arrangement. lol
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus888 View Post
I vote for Dean's contribution! I love how it "could" sound with real instruments in place of MIDI. So I guess I like the arrangement. lol
Well, let's hold on for a couple days, get everyone's in and I'll consolidate all the links into one post and create a poll.

I have as much cause to be embarrassed as anyone, so no-one get their panties all twisted.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
We should have a little vote for best first *complete* recording, as long as everyone was honest about it being 1. an actually first completed recording ...
For me there was first a lot of recordings on a Pioneer 8-track-2-channel recorder (that is correct - the ol' 8-track format!) Panasonic boombox cass., then a hifi cassette deck and then a demo of this band on Tascam 4 track reel (which I do not have a good copy of at the moment) and then we recorded this in a temporary set-up by the Wolff Brothers and it's a Scully 16 track/ 2 inch machine and Harrison console? with dbx/ Prophet5, etc. - very late 70's/ early 80's but actually my first serious recording. We did 4 tunes and here is one of those from this fusion type band (turn it up!):

http://markmcgouirk.com/music/revela...e_Clincher.mp3
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

FYI: the sad thing is that this is from DAT to cass. to DAW 24bit and not the DAT from 1/4" reel backup tape which is a long story!

Mark
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Early nonsense recordings with dad's ghetto blaster and meddling with 4 tracks have been long lost (sadly, there was some absolute gold on them), but I do have these... they were my first 'proper' recordings in Audio Design class in 1997, using a local world music group who were too cheap/skint to pay someone who knew what they were doing (!) for some demo recordings... instead they came to the college and, knowing that it would be probably my only opportunity to get some recordings down that WEREN'T alt rock groups (we needed variety in our portfolio for external assessment), I put up my hand.

Instrumentation was tracked one or two instruments at a time... we didn't have enough mics or iso rooms to record in one go. The musicians whereWe eventually got three songs down in 2.5 days... the mixes for the demo cassette run (which I did... manually... with a Denon tape deck and an Alesis 3630 to compress/limit) were done a week later, but I was still doing mixes for months... I think these ones were about the 7th or 8th attempts by the time I was happy/realised I couldn't do any better.

Equipment:
Fostex A8 8 track analog reel to reel tape machine, Ampex 456 tape
Tascam DA-30 Mk2 for mixdown, Denon tape deck for cassette mastering, PowerMac 7100 with Audiomedia8 card for digital 2-track transfer, then CD mastering on some PC with a then very expensive CD-burner that only worked half the time!
Soundcraft Spirit 16:8:2 inline console
AKG C3000, 2x C1000s and a handful of SM57s and SM58s
Alesis 3630
Alesis MEQ-230
BOSS SE-50 and SE-70 multi effect processor
BBE Sonic Maximiser+DI (remember those!)
The electric violin was recorded direct through the artist's ZOOM processor... which is why is sounds like arse. Seriously, I did everything I could to make it not sound like a creaking door!

...and that's it! Ah, the joy of home/hobbyist studios before the computer revolution.

The mixes I've posted were recorded off my master DAT in 2001 which was already starting to fall apart (I still have the tape though I reckon it would be unplayable now) hence you can hear a few clicks and pops. It's also been transcoded a fair few times so the sound quality isn't as good as it was... a few years back I got access to the same RTR deck and transferred the raw tracks off another project I still had the reels for and the quality was amazing, given that the lowly Fostex is hardly the epitome of 'good' analogue... plenty of high end detail, low noise floor... then again, we had it drummed into us to record as hot as possible without clipping and because I read too many recording magazines at the time, I'd usually had a little more high end on the way in so I'd never need to boost, only cut, the tops in the mix.

Mmmm... nostalgia!
Attached Files

02 Fairytale [160kps].mp3 (4.33 MB, 66 views)

03 From Nowhere [160kps].mp3 (5.51 MB, 58 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search