The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your first recording you ever made (or as close as possible)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i thought a was gonna retire off my first recording !!
think i have it on dat somewhere will try to dig it out
Old 18th November 2009
So, nobody's first one was 'Itsy Bitsy Spider"?
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
OK..I do not have the first ones because it was done on tape to adat and I do not have a dat player..SO, here ie the first tune me and my father did with our first daw (Digi 001) in 1999.. acoustic guitar and vocal....please don't flame me to hard..it was a long time ago!!
That's pretty good. Not my cup of tea necessarily stylistically, but's it's definitely nothing to be embarrassed about.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

I think this was one of my first recording. It was recorded during a weekly practice session of this band. It was recorded with all kind of cheap mic's (close miced) connected with a Behringer eurodesk MX2442A. The eurodesk was connected with the line in of a onboard soundcard and recorded in CoolEdit.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~machiela/Khadg...g Syndrome.mp3

Greetings,

Mathijs
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll post mine tonight when I find it! Great thread! Great to remember our humble beginnings!
Old 18th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
That's pretty good. Not my cup of tea necessarily stylistically, but's it's definitely nothing to be embarrassed about.
Thanks man..not my cup of tea either, was a song my dad wrote so we used it to try out the brand new, never before seen, top of the line...Digi 001
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Then we should all moan about how our tascam 4 track had so much more mojo than our modern daw's
Man, My Tascam 4 track had so much more mojo than my modern DAW.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, this is my first "complete" solo recording.

'89 or '90 I think. I was 16 or 17 years old.

Yamaha MTX1 cassette 4-track
Probably a Boss DR550 for drums.
I think a Peavey amp. Originally I thought a Classic 30 head and 2x12 cab, but think it's a little early for that. JC-160 or borrowed redknob Princeton, maybe.
57 on the cab or something similar. through a Rolls 11-band half-rack EQ/pre straight to 4-track.
Fender Japanese strat with HB in the bridge, maybe a Japanese Fender Squire Bullet.

I was never really into surf music, so I'm pretty sure this was all I could manage. I'd just started playing guitar. I never got much better.
Attached Files

lgn.m4a (3.17 MB, 72 views)

Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

And this is what happened when I learned how to bounce tracks and got ahold of a sampler and a Boss SE-50 FX unit.

This would be 1990 or '91, I think. Same Yamaha MTX-1 recorder. Second "complete" recording.

First and last time I tried to play bottleneck slide.
Attached Files

Badlands.mp3 (5.13 MB, 43 views)

Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ok, here's the first thing I recorded for my band after I got a bunch of recording gear. Recorded guitar & keys first, then went back to overdub drums. Then I overdubbed cymbals.
Attached Files

Berea_demo_sample.mp3 (1.30 MB, 52 views)

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipamail View Post
... but the very very first recording of my band was made in 1981 with a cassette recorder and its own microphone. 20 years later I used the drum fills from that cassette for the re-recording of the same song:
Love it - completely nuts!
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

First pro studio recording was in '65 ..its in the attic with a ton of others.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool thread!

Ok, not my first recording as a musician but the first time I engineered/mixed a recording - MBox, borrowed mics, mixed ITB mostly with headphones - yikes! Properly mastered by a pro at least, even got a little airplay!
Attached Files

01 Bloody Mary mp3.mp3 (4.61 MB, 68 views)

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Listening to everyone's first recording efforts gives me an idea... we should have a retro-recording 'competition'... choose your antiquated recording platform of choice - preferably the first 4-track Portastudio or RTR or whatever you owned if possible - and record a new track to enter, using the skills (and better pres, mics and whatnot you've acquired since).

I reckon it would be a big surprise to a lot of people, what you can achieve with limited equipment.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
Whoa. That's awesome. Reminds of some Italian film music I have from the 70's.

As you can tell that was ad~lib -- written /recorded from the push of the button --on the spot music.
Old 4th December 2009
It is not exactly a recording, but it is a remix of two songs. But it was the first thing i've made 'professionaly'. It was made 2003-2004.

LSDIAS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

This is my old project pages. The songs are a remix to Ray Charles' Hit the Road Jack and a remix to brazillian composer Adoniran Barbosa (samba). Both drum n bass.

there are other remixes there, all from 2006-07 mostly.

Hope you like, sorry if i couldnt get the link to the tracks itself, just my page.

edit: BTW how do you attach the files to GS? Dumb question.
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Our version of Star Cycle from Jeff Beck ...

Hey phaqu, I enjoyed that! 1990 huh? Did you not catch the real thing at The Fox in 1980?

I posted a Dregs like thing.

Mark
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here is the one of the first recordings I've ever made. It was 1997.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1302877/Guitar_jinx.mp3

I had just bought an Yamaha 8-track with my mates - it was a dream come true...

I had a cheap Casio keyboard, and I recorded the beat by holding an SM58 in front of its speaker (I held the mic in my hand). All the other tracks are from a cheap Zoom -guitar FX pedal...naturally I used its line output

What can I say? Loved my LesPaul clone, loved the new 8-track. Couldn't get enough of it.

(Those were happy times...
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwerkn View Post
Listening to everyone's first recording efforts gives me an idea... we should have a retro-recording 'competition'... choose your antiquated recording platform of choice - preferably the first 4-track Portastudio or RTR or whatever you owned if possible - and record a new track to enter, using the skills (and better pres, mics and whatnot you've acquired since).

I reckon it would be a big surprise to a lot of people, what you can achieve with limited equipment.
maybee start a new thread.... new recordings using old gear....
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
I listened to a few of these and I was a little disapponted because they mostly use quite advanced technology. My first recordings were made by recording to a little cassette machine using the inbuilt microphone, and then playing it back through its speaker into the microphone on another similar cassette machine while playing another part..
Me too! As a 14 year old with a recording walkman and a ghetto blaster.

Wonder if I can find it.... then I moved onto cassette 4 track, then 8trk 1/2 inch, then adat machines, followed by tascam mx 2424.

At this time also got mbox, and had had a loan of an ampex mm1100.
Then protools LE, and access to an MM1200. I'm still using the mx2424 and 001. About to upgrade the protools.

G
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm going to have to buy a cassette deck and transfer mine to CD.
Then I'll post em. Yeah, I have some of those cassette to cassette transfers too, I used better decks borrowed from a friend.
But, they were still cassette decks and the fidelity is bleh.
The reel to reel transfers, with added live tracks, were much better.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Bastards!

Here's me and my pal in 1977.
Recorded on an early mono cassette recorder.
We "borrowed" my big brother's guitar and did unspeakable things to his mom's piano.
A definite high point to my artistic career.
It went all downhill after that...
Attached Files

04 Bastards.mp3 (2.49 MB, 29 views)

Old 4th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilli C View Post
Me too! As a 14 year old with a recording walkman and a ghetto blaster.

Wonder if I can find it.... then I moved onto cassette 4 track, then 8trk 1/2 inch, then adat machines, followed by tascam mx 2424.

At this time also got mbox, and had had a loan of an ampex mm1100.
Then protools LE, and access to an MM1200. I'm still using the mx2424 and 001. About to upgrade the protools.

G
I have one like that, but the tape is at the house of the guitarrist of my band at that time. We played Deep Purple's Burn using a portable tape recorder. But i dont have that in mp3. I can look for it, but it is really hard to find. Wow! just remembered another!
i will check another back up data here.

i have some thing from 98, using N-track!!! i will find it!
Old 4th December 2009
Found it!

The Sadman´s God.mp3

Boy! i've just learned to attach files lolz - i was dying to learn that.

heh

Recording "gear":
Mic: Leadership Computer Microphone (might have been other)
DAW: N-track
Keys: Yamaha PSR-530
AC. Guitar: Gianniani (dont remember the series)

The leadership microfone was placed between the keyboard speakr and the guitar (we tried all day to find the best sound).
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark mcg View Post
Hey phaqu, I enjoyed that!
Thanks man. Thats the first thing the bass player started playing when he was warming up when he auditioned for us. It took all of about 7 or 8 16th notes for us to to realize, this was the cat.

Quote:
1990 huh?
Yep 1990, in a basement in Woodstock.

Quote:
Did you not catch the real thing at The Fox in 1980?
I moved down here in 85, so I missed it by a good 5 years.
Quote:
I posted a Dregs like thing.

Mark
Funny that you mentioned that because our guitar player at that time was a Steve Morse and Eric Johnson nut.

Anyway,got to finally check your tune out, (my quicktime and browser were giving me grief earlier) . Yeah, kinda Dregs sounding for sure mixed with a Jan Hammer sounding keys.

Who was playing drums on that?

Did you guys ever gig anywhere around town?
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Nut

That guitar player was smokin' there. I'm going to play that for the keyboard player.

All we did were showcase gigs. A couple of Jazz Jams (for Easter Seals) at the old Moonshadow Saloon near Emory Univ. (that place was great!), we once opened for Maynard Ferguson - 2 shows at Rumours (also near Emory), we played with REM at some street party in the old Underground Atlanta (nobody knew who they were in 1980!), Lanierland Amphitheater, colleges like Ga. State, Ga. Tech, clubs, parties, etc. Only original music (because that's all we could play! )

The drummer's name was Brad Hammock. He is probably more well known for being frisbee golf world rookie of the year once! He still tours (on the frisbee golf circuit). Actually the guy is a top notch disc golfer. It was always sports or music? with him!

Mark
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict
I remember Moonshadows. It was a cool place. I remember Rumours too.

We only played at the best in town, like, Dannys, Wreck Room, Somber Reptile ,9 Lives...you know,...the real "high classed" places. LOL. Where you hoped your car didnt get stolen while you were playing.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Nut

phaqu,

Check this out! Earlier I sent a Facebook message to the keyboard player with your Star Cycle mp3 link. BEFORE he went on FB, he put on the There and Back CD and THEN (inspired) he went on Youtube looking for videos of Star Cycle (live or something) to post on FB but did not find anything good. So he finally went on FB and saw my message and flipped out that I was sending him Star Cycle!

Coincidence? ESP?

Very wild!

Mark
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear