The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Michael Joly's Modded Mics - I need firsthand advice
Old 5th January 2010
Here for the gear

Just in the proces of getting new mic...

Right now I have Rode K2 as my main vocal mic run through JLM baby animal pre, amek CiB (eq) and to SPL Kultube compressor...

I manly record Rap but also some rock and heavy metal stuff. I'm very much satysfied with K2 (got it 6 years ago), but I find it sometimes to sibilant on some voices.

Tried cople of other microphones as I sometimes work for major studio here in Croatia...

Recently I was considering buying an avantone cv-12 but I'm not sure if that would be an upgrade since I've never heard that mic personaly. I now I saw this and similar threads about mods and I got quite interested in this matter.
Any suggestions for a nice cheap (under 500$) sibilant free mic that would nicely companion my K2 and give different vibe to my vocal chain?? Of course take in consideration that I'm not afraid of mods.....

Tried by now different beasts: Neuman U87, Soundelux u195, AT 4060, RE-27.... not to happy considering price - performace level ... for my applications Rode K2 kicked U87 straight in tha face and knocked him out of the ring

Any suggestions??
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Take a listen to a mod'd CAD GXL 3000 - an $89, 3-pattern, FET / transformer-coupled mic against a U 87 and Gefell M71. K47-type capsule, nice midrange push and sibilance-free top end.
Old 5th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Take a listen to a mod'd CAD GXL 3000 - an $89, 3-pattern, FET / transformer-coupled mic against a U 87 and Gefell M71. K47-type capsule, nice midrange push and sibilance-free top end.

Nice, but it lacks botom end for my taste... as far as what I can hear on computer speakers right now U87 is not my favorite mic... don't like it for hip-hop vocals wich I do mostly but could find other use for pop vocals and acc guitars....

I listened Oktava 319 and I like it beter... how is 319 with sibilance??

Tomorow I'll try to listen all the samples of all the mics on my Adams...

Michael, thank you for kind reply!!
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

For hip hop you should consider an MK-219. Same capsule and electronics as the 319 but the headbasket is different, this gives the 219 a bit more lower midrange that works well for rap / hip hip vocals - super low sibilance btw. The 219 is out of production so you would have to find a used one.
Old 8th January 2010
Here for the gear

Hi--

I've got the following Michael Joly modded mics:

(1) 319 PE/Floating Dome mods
(1) ML-52 ribbon PE/Lundahl transformer mods
(2) MK-012 PE mods
(4) Ultimate SDC mods

Since these are the best mics I've ever used I can't honestly compare them to the super- expensive models but I can say they sound a whole lot better than stock and that I am VERY HAPPY with them!

Mr. Joly and Meryl are a great pleasure to do business with.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

I've used all the expensive stuff from Neumann and I can tell you, these mics have a nicer top end when modded and much better bottom end that is extended instead of hyped. No sibilance problems and beautiful mids, very open and effortless sounding, great for ac instruments and female vox. The top end is frikkin magical. You WILL have plenty of use out of them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear