The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help with a Otari Mtr90 mk2
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

Recording to tape- HELP

hi everyone,

i bought my tape machine a few months ago and have been carefully cleaning heads with isopropanol, demagnetizing and doing everything by the book. suddenly out of nowhere, this hiss comes into a recording i'm dumping from my mac and onto the tape machine. i've tried to demagnetize and clean again, recorded on different tracks, i've also tried 4 or 5 different tape, but the outcome is the same. i've attached a clip... does anyone recognize this? any help would be much appreciated, i'm kinda new with recording to tape

best,

tommy
Attached Files

bråk og tull.mp3 (291.3 KB, 1991 views)

Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

It is possible that you MIGHT have some defective record relays on the audio cards. However, that problem will not show up at the same time on every track. Instead, it will be an intermittent problem that can randomly appear on one or many tracks.

This will seem ODD, but do a test recording onto the "noisy" track(s), and "thump" the metal front plate of the audio card(s) with something like back end of the plastic handle of a screwdriver. If you hear the "taps" on the recorded track, you likely have bad record relays.

Bri
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear