The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
I don't know why anyone thought a "native" HD was coming?
Because lots - LOTS of people have been asking for it.
Old 17th August 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Because lots - LOTS of people have been asking for it.
Since when is Avid/Digi reacting to what people are asking for?
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear
When was the last time Avid gave anyone, anything they asked for...
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I never said they were. I was just explaining why some people might have thought a native solution were possible.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

After the initial excitement, I'm officially "meh"

More I/O..

I can spend thousands of dollars + days ripping my studio apart + downtime lost income for a couple of extra spaces in my rack.

OR

I can leave it alone (since I already have a couple of racks already working just fine together), keep working, & make money.

Show me some software changes that will make my life easier.. i.e.: ADC in my $2000 "Complete" Production Toolkit, EuCon Support, OR BUG FIXES and I'll be happy.

I hope this post is a bit premature & we get more as the day goes on, but so far, I've very frustrated. I feel like Avid is trying to sell me thousands of dollars worth of metal & wires over listening to my (and many others) needs.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear
Hmmm so great it's just upgraded hardware with better converters for the hd system starting at 4,000 for a 8 I/O plus another few thousand on HD cards. My biggest issue here is the damn hd cards. Now I see the apogee is 3,800 plus 1,000 for the symphony so that comes to 4,800 for the whole thing.

pretty much $4,800 for a great native daw or using hd cards and spending a lot well you can do the math.

They really should just give the option for no hd cards and run it off the computer itself and let hd cards be more of a expsansion situation for bigger studios. hd cards might be benificial for a crazy amount of tracks but for most people it's not even needed. If that was so I would buy it for $4,000 no questions asked and I'm sure a lot of sales would have been made and being able to have the option to upgrade would hook many new long time customers. The whole thing is a backwards way of being way way to greedy and I can't stand behind that.

ugh

R.I.P Digi I guess we just can't be friends. It's not you digi it's just me...well actually it is you. I'm breaking up with you and never want to see you again you slut.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
fake! no new hardware for a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neily View Post
There is no way in hell that's the interface... Why would they have DB25 analog out and no DB25 Analog in on an hd interface, not use expansion cards for io, and metering for only 8 channels...

Avid logo where the model usually goes, Digi logo on the back, list goes on...

Hoax....

Looks like a Photoshloped Sync to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
i say FAKE.

-s0nguy

All in fun.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post

R.I.P Digi I guess we just can't be friends. It's not you digi it's just me...well actually it is you. I'm breaking up with you and never want to see you again you slut.
I have to respond to this - Dig wasn't so bad compared to the new conglomerate owner, avid. Not just an ugly name anymore!

L
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmmm so great it's just upgraded hardware with better converters for the hd system starting at 4,000 for a 8 I/O plus another few thousand on HD cards. My biggest issue here is the damn hd cards. Now I see the apogee is 3,800 plus 1,000 for the symphony so that comes to 4,800 for the whole thing.

pretty much $4,800 for a great native daw or using hd cards and spending a lot well you can do the math.

They really should just give the option for no hd cards and run it off the computer itself and let hd cards be more of a expsansion situation for bigger studios. hd cards might be benificial for a crazy amount of tracks but for most people it's not even needed. If that was so I would buy it for $4,000 no questions asked and I'm sure a lot of sales would have been made and being able to have the option to upgrade would hook many new long time customers. The whole thing is a backwards way of being way way to greedy and I can't stand behind that.

ugh

I agree. I'd call it an Epic failure, worthy of a motivational poster. I think they could have re-gained a HUGE market share by having a smooth transition path from powerful native to HD. Why they aren't catering more to the pro-sumer market is beyond me as it is a huge and growing market.

I'll admit as a happy Cubase/Logic user: For $3500 or so for an HD3 equivalent
system, I'm in there like swimwear, put it on the card. But $13,000, ha! no way! I think many many others would feel the same way.

I feel like I'm trapped in some time warp limbo transition period. I want to have professional level Pro Tools software,in addition to Cubase and Logic for a price consistent with the market, but I can't have it yet. For now I'm just gonna bank on a major change, the change we thought we hoped see today, in the next 3-5 years, and not buy an HD system for the time being.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
All in fun.

It looked so bad I though it had to be fake! I'm sorry but the HD OMNI looks useless for $3000
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Software improvements = I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neily View Post
I'm sorry but the HD OMNI looks useless for $3000
When you think of how much an external monitoring section, and preamps cost in addition to your core system and choice of I/O box (96io/192io), for the basic HD user (VO work, in-the-box, software dependent kinda user), the OMNI is perfect for the price. Seriously bridges a hardware gap.

I like the updates. HD was never for the pro-sumer market in the first place, so I'm glad they're still supporting the development of the professional product line. No native BS, just developing and perfecting an already solid product line. New I/O possibilities, better converters, integration with current core systems ... no issues there whatsoever. Gave me more options to integrate different setups, all depending on what my work-flow and needs are.

I'm probably one of the few, but I'm happy thumbsup
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
When was the last time Avid gave anyone, anything they asked for...
Wow, these two posts were sent in the exact same minute!
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

ugh

Not to mention that IME, the new processors **** all over the the HD cards. Obviously old technology is obviously old.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
When you think of how much an external monitoring section, and preamps cost in addition to your core system and choice of I/O box (96io/192io), for the basic HD user (VO work, in-the-box, software dependent kinda user), the OMNI is perfect for the price. Seriously bridges a hardware gap.

I like the updates. HD was never for the pro-sumer market in the first place, so I'm glad they're still supporting the development of the professional product line. No native BS, just developing and perfecting an already solid product line. New I/O possibilities, better converters, integration with current core systems ... no issues there whatsoever. Gave me more options to integrate different setups, all depending on what my work-flow and needs are.

I'm probably one of the few, but I'm happy thumbsup
Lol @ native BS.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Don't get me wrong, I have a huge gear boner for the 16x16io. I want one NOW.

... but that omni = gay.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

sooo...

i have a UA2192... therefore no need for anything digi just announced.

sweet!
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Mega-disappointing ultra fail.

I am embarrassed for them.

Clearly no one is at the wheel on the PT product front.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

We are heading into 2011

I am unbelievably pissed off
Old 17th August 2010
Here for the gear

Really Avid, this is it? Throw a new paint job on it, knock out a few dents, a few wrench turns under the hood and sell it for brand new! Its amazing after all these years of R&D for the new line of products, that this is it. Well, I for one am sick and tired of your company and I.......will probably end up buying it. Damn.
Old 17th August 2010
MKM
Gear Head

Holy ultra epic mega fail. Biggest FAIL I have seen in my entire life. I'm deeply saddened by how badly AVID dropped the ball on this one.

MAYBE the OMNI is justifiable for SOME people, but did we REALLY need new HD I/O? If you couldn't get good sounding records with the "old" stuff (96i/o&192i/o etc..) what in the hell makes you think that this new HD I/O is suddenly gonna make everything sound good? Does it have a specially voodoo AVID magic button?

Talk about having your priorities in check. What the hell are they doing about the damn cards? WHAT THE F*CK AVID?!?!?! Sure you got great looking new **** that does the same old **** but now it looks prettier but I still need at least 5k for HD1?!?!?!

Call me when you either have a NATIVE full non-crippled Pro Tools OR give me cards that don't cost as much. The only thing stopping AVID from dominating the DAW industry is themselves.

/Rant over
Attached Thumbnails
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move-same-shit.jpg  
Old 17th August 2010
Where's the unlimited voice count for HD.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Wooow lol

LOL who wants to be the guy to tell 100 of people on GS told u so, Avid are wack man everyone was waiting lol people even got sacked over this and all it is like said above quick respray anyone could have done at home some masking tape and a can of spray lol !!! There painful
Old 17th August 2010
an awful lot of hate goin' on here for something that hasn't been heard yet
what if it sounds great? it just might...
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Where's the unlimited voice count for HD.
There will never be an unlimited voice count for HD (as we currently know it) due to physical limitations of the current cards.
Old 18th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
There will never be an unlimited voice count for HD (as we currently know it) due to physical limitations of the current cards.
Why can't they use a Hybrid approach using Native power also.
Old 18th August 2010
MKM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuLio View Post
an awful lot of hate goin' on here for something that hasn't been heard yet
what if it sounds great? it just might...
SO even IF it does sound like insanely good, was it REALLY and honestly the most pressing issue? Is there not many other things they could do/ have done to make a lot more people happy?

All the people who already have HD, are they really gonna say: "screw these perfectly good 192s/96s; I need the new HD I/Os"?

All the people who already have LE, are they going to be affected by this in any shape or form? Most of those planning to make the jump just did so in the past few months with the rebates and trade-in specials.

All the people who already are M-Powered, well AVID doesn't even acknowledge their existence so no change there.

The fact remains: entry ticket to HD is still 8k for HD1 ONLY + interface WHICH is insanely HUGE. For Post and HUGE track counts with huge I/Os its justifiable but then again at that stage it's a whole different league ya know.

Just as a comparison:
HD 1 + 2x 96i/o Total = $12,385.00 (Sweetwater prices for reference)

No computer, no pres, 16 inputs up to 96k, 96/48 tracks at 48k/96k, ADC, Surround Mixing.

On the other hand

8-core 2.4GHz 8GB RAM 2x 1TB Drives Mac Pro $3,799.00 (Apple.com) + Digidesign 003 Rack Factory + Complete Production Toolkit $3,194.00 (Sweetwater).
Total = $6,993.00 + $1,350.00 if you want BLA Signature MOD

Beast computer, 4 mediocre pres, 16 inputs up to 96k, 128/96 tracks at 48k/96k, Mellowmuse ATA plugin is $49 if you want it, 7.1 Surround Mixing (CPTK).

We're looking at a $4,042 price tag difference. You can buy some pretty slutty stuff with that 4k difference can you not (5k if no BLA MOD)? PS I'm not saying that the 2 examples above are the exact same but they are however pretty close in regards to what MOST people would need/do with them.

Point being, as long as those cards are still there or at that price, a lot of people are putting money elsewhere or at least not as much in AVID's pockets.
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Addict

It really does make sense. Avid wants to be the top dog in the super top of the line professional environment. It seems like for them to continue to do that - the changes they have made were completely necessary. It does however feel like they are ignoring all of us that don't have lavish budgets - but there is still much more to come.
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Nut

First the Ipad now this..Geeez what a year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search