The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
You would think the guys at the DUC would be talking about this if it were true.
They might be, but if it were true, someone at avid would have the lasers armed to destroy anything that popped up.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

fake! no new hardware for a bit.
Old 17th August 2010
MKM
Gear Head

Quote:
You would think the guys at the DUC would be talking about this if it were true.
Google: "New HD Omni duc" should be the first result. Am I allowed just linking to the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
They might be, but if it were true, someone at avid would have the lasers armed to destroy anything that popped up.
True that.

I'm thinking it's a shop though. Anyone notice the pres/ inst inputs in the front are labeled 1 and 2 BUT the pres in the back are ALSO labeled 1 and 2. That's either fake or I'm a big dummy who's missing the point how that would be useful/ make sense.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

It's too stupid a product for anyone but Avid to come up with. Take all your failed technologies, put them in a box, and cripple them. Price high enough that It Must Be Good. Repeat.

They may have pushed hardware forward in the wake of the Apogee announcement.

I believe the image.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM View Post
Google: "New HD Omni duc" should be the first result. Am I allowed just linking to the thread?
I didn't see this. It just seems like it would have been a bigger deal over there. Totally photochopped or avid has lost their mind.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally photochopped or avid has lost their mind.
Guess we'll know pretty soon but it's very possible avid has lost their mind judging by the past few years.
Old 17th August 2010
Deleted User
If there is new "hd" hardware coming out and it has built in mic amps, I'm going to be pissed. I don't want that ****...

I like straight in and out like the 192s are right now.

A lot of us still use our rigs with a console. We want a standard 1-56 inputs and outputs, and we'll add **** as necessary. The onboard amps might sound like a virgins first moan, but I still don't want them on onboard.

Same with a freaking monitor section or headphone amp. Leave that for the le type guys.
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If there is new "hd" hardware coming out and it has built in mic amps, I'm going to be pissed. I don't want that ****...

I like straight in and out like the 192s are right now.

A lot of us still use our rigs with a console. We want a standard 1-56 inputs and outputs, and we'll add **** as necessary. The onboard amps might sound like a virgins first moan, but I still don't want them on onboard.

Same with a freaking monitor section or headphone amp. Leave that for the le type guys.
Amen Brother.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

There is no way in hell that's the interface... Why would they have DB25 analog out and no DB25 Analog in on an hd interface, not use expansion cards for io, and metering for only 8 channels...

Avid logo where the model usually goes, Digi logo on the back, list goes on...

Hoax....

Looks like a Photoshloped Sync to me.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Lol @ cr -23
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

OK my speculative analysis:

The point of this is to have a portable HD solution for e.g. John Mayer to take out on the road. They may couple this with some form of laptop interface, or they may just have a firewire version as "LE OMNI." It appears to be a 18x18 interface much like the 003R where you get 8 analog inputs. The meters on the front are only for the internal A/D converters; your external converters are expected to provide their own meters. The two TRS outputs may be used for monitoring. The emphasis is using this as a tracking box for ITB projects in line with the mobile concept. But you have all the trappings of HD and can hook this right into your HD stack in the studio (which you can't with a 003). There will be a cable adapter for the new Digilink connectors to match the old larger ones.

You also get a remote control for the Digi PRE's, which may be a political gesture to all the money spent developing that failed product, or it may be an effort to try to revive interest in it. The remote also can work with the mini-XMON.

I don't think they consider it a studio product. They are trying to bridge the gap to getting more project and personal rigs into the HD family. A MOTU 828mkII that runs HD. The main question remaining is how do those things hook into a computer that is likely to be found in such places?

The pisser of course is that they crippled HD to bridge the gap rather than de-crippled LE. dfegad
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Spicemix, I agree with your assessment. I think the idea is to get people into HD cheaper than ever, in the sense that they don't have to immediately add preamps or monitor control, which they would normally have to do with the other interfaces, adding to the expense. And the fact that it has less inputs, it would seem to be a cost saving thing. The actual price will be a big factor, obviously.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
The pisser of course is that they crippled HD to bridge the gap rather than de-crippled LE. dfegad
You are talking as if something has actually happened. I have high hopes for avid...
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
and some harmonic distortion thing called Heat?
Picking up on that, I'd suppose the programmer who did Reel Tape Saturation moved onto Heat next. So it would compete with the Slate Console emulator and Soundtoys Juice and Redline Preamp etc. Except it will be more expensive and stuck on Pro Tools instead of available anywhere.

Maybe, in a long shot, they will integrate it as a Mixer plugin a'la Harrison Mixbus. As an alternative to the dithered mixer. Almost certainly that will be mathematically equivalent to having plugin inserts like Slate does, but it will look cleaner and make people think there is some special analog-ish "summing" going on in PT9. The actual summing will still be a + b of course.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Most likely this is fake.
8 AES Outputs without 8 AES Inputs on one DB 25 connector ?
What sense would a mobile interface make without any
laptop relevant connections like ethernet, usb or firewire ???

The design is much too dense
and look at the deformed power switch.
ULN 8 clone ? Nah - nice try heh
That would be the most unsexy and dumb turn for avid ever....

Though there eventually could be some truth among false:
HD Omni certainly sounds good...

in the end there will be something good for all, I´m shure.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Well according to the AIRusersblog it's real...

The AIR Users Blog :: The Number 1 Source for AIR Tips, Tricks and Information - News Latest - Welcome Avid HD

Choose your salt and pinch?
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Head

hmm interesting, if it is real wonder when their gonna announce it.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

I bet it's real... and a perfectly chosen offering. Why, you ask? Because you all are forgetting about post. This is perfect for many post solutions. All they need are a couple of pres to do VO, and 8 outputs for surround mix and headphone mix. Even an all ITB 1-operator dub stage. This is all the box they need. Notice the "remote" port? Maybe it has SYNC IO functionality built in on a breakout cable or to sync to an AVID media composer system for locking the two together.

Avid IS picture... Not just (and maybe not so much anymore) music.

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

Or maybe "remote" is for a control room remote...

Guessing is fun.... mmmmmmm

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

The XMON built-in may well cover 5.1 control on the analog outs. Of course if the XMON is implemented in analog then those outputs will be a bit quality compromised by the automated trims, just as the DIGI PRE inputs will be compromised by the remote controllable gain circuits.

Yeah the remote would be for the PRE and XMON functionality.

They'd want to make bank selling a separate SYNC unit.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

i say FAKE.

people are so worked up over this... a few people even PMd me asking me to tell them when I obviously jokingly said I knew what it was a few posts back.

-s0nguy
Old 17th August 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
I agree as well !!!!! I personally don't know anyone who's left. In my world everyone still uses HD, with a couple guys on Logic (even those guys admit it was purely financial and they wanted the free softsynths.

If PT was a loss for you than you made a bad business decision, and that's not Avid's fault. My rigs have paid for themselves so many times over I've lost count. I suspect the same would be true for anyone who actually studied their customer base, and competition prior to purchasing a DAW.
Let me guess......you drive a Deloreon
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixboy bob View Post
I bet it's real... and a perfectly chosen offering. Why, you ask? Because you all are forgetting about post. This is perfect for many post solutions. All they need are a couple of pres to do VO, and 8 outputs for surround mix and headphone mix. Even an all ITB 1-operator dub stage. This is all the box they need. Notice the "remote" port? Maybe it has SYNC IO functionality built in on a breakout cable or to sync to an AVID media composer system for locking the two together.

Avid IS picture... Not just (and maybe not so much anymore) music.

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Well - for the travelling recordist this thing would be pretty useless
if he wants to connect some external high quality converter via AES /EBU
and I see no way this "thing" can compete with a prism orpheus, an uln-8 or even a lynx aurora
and these certainly are the devices AVID should have on their radar to compete...

if this box represents avid´s "new thinking" I´m not so shure about their future anymore...
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe I am just dumb, but how does it connect to computer? There are two "ports" with unreadable type - IF this were a real interface wouldn't it have either firewire or ethernet? Or is there a card to go with it - if so forget the laptop!

L
Old 17th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Maybe I am just dumb, but how does it connect to computer? There are two "ports" with unreadable type - IF this were a real interface wouldn't it have either firewire or ethernet? Or is there a card to go with it - if so forget the laptop!

L
It's probably a PTHD interface, which means it connects to an HD core card...
Old 17th August 2010
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

And here:

ProToolerBlog → Post

stike
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

The products are now on the Sweetwater site, with pics, prices, etc.

Pro Tools|HD Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

..scroll down a bit.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I think their next move will be:
USING M-AUDIO AD-DA converters on all their stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

damn... too late its already been done...

That been said, I like their new AVID look on the stuff presented in sweetwater but damn... AVID logo? C'mon...
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear
Assuming this will be the new HD hardware for say 5+ years I guess they're not abandoning the PCIe connectivity any time soon.

I don't know why anyone thought a "native" HD was coming? The Digi/Avid hardware based model is here to stay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search