The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 15th August 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Hopefully avid makes us hd users look good again
in front of the logic folks.

Bring the emperor status back
Yeah, everyone is getting tired of pretending PT is the best. I think it's time they prove it.
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Head

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. heh

The post would be deleted here anyway... the same politics are in action.
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
It's rumored to be essentially an official version of the crack: a software emulator of the hardware cards that allows native CPU to run more of the engine through the existing i/o hardware. They may have even developed an emulator that allows TDM plugins to run without recompilation on the native CPU. So an HD1 will suddenly be useful again rather than just a demo, though you will still need card-based DSP for low-latency DSP (that's just laws of physics).

The announcement next week may just be a promotion for HD where you get the PTIEP included free and stuff is bundled more attractively. Or it may be an HD-only version of that technology. Like with 8.0.4, they are treating HD shops as beta sites because it's a smaller and more skilled population to figure the bugs out on before unleashing them on the unwarshed LE hordes. Most HD shops in music rely on 7.4 still anyway. So this may be the new engine, just for HD.

At AES that engine may be announced for LE, and at winter NAMM the new hardware for LE may appear. That will fully rely on that engine and may be either in the form of a PCIe card that has little or no DSP on it but allows Digilink or MADI connectivity, or Eleven Rack-like boxes with a bit of DSP and firewire, USB3, or lightpeak connectivity. Probably a 192i/o refresh then too, and Eucon support.

All of this stuff may take till 2011 to get into customers' hands and deep into 2011 to stabilize into a production platform.

That's the best of the rumors as I understand them. They were hoping for this to ship for AES 2009, bion. This is why they are most uptight about timing announcements: they aren't embarrassed about what they are doing, they are embarrassed it is taking them so long, and that pirates beat them to market with the concept.
Well that is one of the rumors. My bet is still on just a new version of HD software. No inside info or anything like that just an educated guess. But guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I think Digi will still rule in the native arena because latency when recording in Native is still a problem.
I hear this argument time and time again but really, is it that serious of a problem?

I use amp simulators on a day to day basis, many times using them in a final mix. I have never once, even while re-tracking something mid mix, sat back and said "wow, this latency thing is killing me." FWIW, a 128 buffer size is reasonable to track with an amp sim, imo.

Chris
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone with credible info can email me as an anonymizer. It is generally pointless to censor a cat out of a bag. The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.

I would caution that the rollout will probably be scheduled to maximize wasteful spending. So if you can wait six more months you might find all you needed to buy was x...
Old 16th August 2010
Announcement today???
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipse View Post
I hear this argument time and time again but really, is it that serious of a problem?

I use amp simulators on a day to day basis, many times using them in a final mix. I have never once, even while re-tracking something mid mix, sat back and said "wow, this latency thing is killing me." FWIW, a 128 buffer size is reasonable to track with an amp sim, imo.

Chris
I agree. Latency is not the issue. And I say that as a Cubase 5.5 MAc oSX usere in which the latency isnt that great.
The lack of PDC is an issue. But lets not go back there....
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

GUYS!

I know what it is!! It will blow your mind .. it's a .. hold on.. knock at my door.

asjkfsdnjk nhelp dksklmsdgl digi.. . . avdid...ADVIIIIIIID.... ..

gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 16th August 2010
Gear Guru

I think I hear the black helicopters.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear
Honestly after all this crap I don't think Avid will see many returning customers after this no matter what. A lot of people have already left for quite some time now and there are some that have stayed. I really don't care what happens and have put my money elsewhere and it's not only the current issues but the morality of the whole thing. I'm just not going to budge for anything with Avid or spend a dime. If I buy anything with big money it will be outboard pres, comps, racks ect. or swaping my rosetta 200 with some cash for a lynx8 soon or maybe a new apogee i/o down the line.

I think avid needs to make it up to the customers to try and get them back and at least extend a hand to do a decent trade in on something new that will be a decent discount for whatever the new system is that's is in taste with competition pricing. These boat anchor crap dongles are far to costly with sub par parts and a complete loss in the long run.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move

I'm just amped to see what the future holds for us HD users. I just went from G5, HD2 PCI to an 8 core Mac Pro with HD2 PCIe last week
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Personally I don't care for Avid the least bit but as long as they put out tools that make my job as a composer/producer easier, I'll buy and use it. If they put out an HD-killer, I'll sell my old rig and get the new one right away... but something tells me it's probably an LE/native/003-type thing.....
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
If they put out an HD-killer, I'll sell my old rig and get the new one right away...
I'll be more thrilled if it's a Logic-killer...
Old 16th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
Honestly after all this crap I don't think Avid will see many returning customers after this no matter what. A lot of people have already left for quite some time now and there are some that have stayed. I really don't care what happens and have put my money elsewhere and it's not only the current issues but the morality of the whole thing. I'm just not going to budge for anything with Avid or spend a dime. If I buy anything with big money it will be outboard pres, comps, racks ect. or swaping my rosetta 200 with some cash for a lynx8 soon or maybe a new apogee i/o down the line.

I think avid needs to make it up to the customers to try and get them back and at least extend a hand to do a decent trade in on something new that will be a decent discount for whatever the new system is that's is in taste with competition pricing. These boat anchor crap dongles are far to costly with sub par parts and a complete loss in the long run.
I think you're making the mistake of confusing what YOU'D do with what anyone else might do. There's no way you can predict what people will and won't do, unless you've done a reasonably broad survey. Have you?

There's plenty of people who've left reluctantly, and if their issues were addressed would be back instantly. What percentage that would be, I have no idea - I've not done an opinion poll either. I think it would be more than you do, however - I'd suggest a "sizable" number of former users would return.

A decent trade-in would be nice of course. Something like the recent decent trade in offered (LE to HD) would be great.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey

I think you're making the mistake of confusing what YOU'D do with what anyone else might do. There's no way you can predict what people will and won't do, unless you've done a reasonably broad survey. Have you?

There's plenty of people who've left reluctantly, and if their issues were addressed would be back instantly. What percentage that would be, I have no idea - I've not done an opinion poll either. I think it would be more than you do, however - I'd suggest a "sizable" number of former users would return.

A decent trade-in would be nice of course. Something like the recent decent trade in offered (LE to HD) would be great.
I agree
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I think you're making the mistake of confusing what YOU'D do with what anyone else might do.
well, to be fair, this entire thread is filled with people confusing what they'd do with what anyone else would do, what they want with what everyone else certainly wants, what's good for them with what's good for Avid.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

HD owners get ready.....everything will reveal itself 2morrow.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
I agree

I agree as well !!!!! I personally don't know anyone who's left. In my world everyone still uses HD, with a couple guys on Logic (even those guys admit it was purely financial and they wanted the free softsynths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
If PT was a loss for you than you made a bad business decision, and that's not Avid's fault. My rigs have paid for themselves so many times over I've lost count. I suspect the same would be true for anyone who actually studied their customer base, and competition prior to purchasing a DAW.
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Guru

here it is

it's eight minutes to tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move-picture-2.jpg  
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Eew a motu 828 with digi PRE's in it.

The people wanted a MADI card and lettuce pick our own converters and pre's!
Old 17th August 2010
Motown legend

You mean:

Avid | VENUE MADI Option Card
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Guru

and some harmonic distortion thing called Heat?
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Yeah that in a pcie format running pt would be fine. $800 map and we've got a deal.

I see they also took some xmon and have a smaller digilink connector. Getting rid of fans would be nice. But this is the project studio box. There are bigger ones. Plus I think there is a cheaper card to hook Le to this hd omni. Or an LE omni.

I wonder if it has internal dsp...then it would be an Avid ULN-8. Sorta.
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

wow

HD users were certainly expecting more...
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear
Photo. Shop. Know one else noticed the Digi logo on the lower right hand side...
Old 17th August 2010
That's it????
Old 17th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
Photo. Shop. Know one else noticed the Digi logo on the lower right hand side...
That's the last vestiges of a fallen empire.

I hope it wasn't Avid that did the Photoshop, sending this image to vtech to figure out how to build it next week...
Old 17th August 2010
MKM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
it's eight minutes to tomorrow (SUPPOSED NEW PRODUCT PIC)
Seriously?! Source please. I'm not biting 'till further proof. Nothing personal though eh, I'm just skeptical. Could very well be shopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
I noticed it too but I don't see why they wouldn't keep the Digidesign logos. I know it's all AVID now but are they planning on progressively changing what appears on the products too?

ANYWAY, I'm gonna wait for more info before believing this. Until we have proof I think we should all be cautious. I'm dying to get the official info.

EDIT: Pretty sure it's a shop; after looking around a bit, that seems to be more and more the general consensus. Once again I really want to abstain from pointing fingers and accusing people of trolling, just being cautious. The wait is killing me and I really hope it's worth it...
Old 17th August 2010
Here for the gear

I doubt any new products will have digidesign logo on the front. With Eleven rack (which I'm pretty sure is their newest product), which came out just before the name change, they wrote Digidesign on the back. The front only says Eleven Rack
Old 17th August 2010
Gear Addict

You would think the guys at the DUC would be talking about this if it were true.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search