The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
AVID's taking a dump. Stock is down 22% in last one month since Euphonix merger. PT HD 8.03 + hardware emulator cracked. Better move that Native version up from July.
Wow, you really have a boner for Avid's failure, huh? Did Dave LeBolt piss in your cheerios one morning?? (yes, I know he's not there anymore)

Do you get some sort of satisfaction out of posts like this? Do you feel better afterwards?

Why not just use what makes you happy and go about your business?
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Wow, you really have a boner for Avid's failure, huh? Did Dave LeBolt piss in your cheerios one morning?? (yes, I know he's not there anymore)

Do you get some sort of satisfaction out of posts like this? Do you feel better afterwards?
When one has an investment in a company's technology, the viability of that company, and the future of that technology, is important. A technology company's stock price is relevant to the talent level of engineers it may hire. Standard practice in Silicon Valley includes the inducement of stock options to retain top talent. Google, Apple etc do similarly. I feel it's relevant information for those similarly invested in AVID technology, and I will continue to follow developments, opportunities and threats, with a company so intimately integrated in the audio industry.

What is your personal opposition to the publishing of this data? Do you work for AVID in some capacity?
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
When one has an investment in a company's technology, the viability of that company, and the future of that technology, is important. A technology company's stock price is relevant to the talent level of engineers it may hire. Standard practice in Silicon Valley includes the inducement of stock options to retain top talent. Google, Apple etc do similarly. I feel it's relevant information for those similarly invested in AVID technology, and I will continue to follow developments, opportunities and threats, with a company so intimately integrated in the audio industry.

What is your personal opposition to the publishing of this data? Do you work for AVID in some capacity?
Nope.

I have no personal opposition at all, just curious about the tone and inflection (inasmuch as that's possible to convey on forums) that your posts seem to have IMO.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
i just pulled a $30,000 check out of my mailbox from Toyota for the music on a 15 second commercial I recorded using Amadeus and Audacity.

Finished in all 20 minutes, and I'm doing another today.

Never touched ProTools or Logic. Too complicated and slow.

What exactly was the point of writing about your $30,000 check? ******-ish move Mr. Bragsalot.

If I ever say something like this, each one of you has the right to come to my house and punch me in the face.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Nut

There are tools in the software of Pro Tools HD that I can't live without. ADC, yes, but there's aftermarket plugins that do a decent job here.

Input Monitoring, Import Session data functions are different between LE and HD. Stuff like that...

I think we should all be pissed about how old and slow the technology the TDM cards are based on. It seems like with the advancement in technology, we should all have the power of an HD3 Accel in ONE card.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristineb View Post
What exactly was the point of writing about your $30,000 check? ******-ish move Mr. Bragsalot.

If I ever say something like this, each one of you has the right to come to my house and punch me in the face.
Deal!!!
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristineb View Post

I'll do that, then I'll take your damn check, buy a Toyota with it, and post pictures of it here.

I do loves me some irony! thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I'll do that, then I'll take your damn check, buy a Toyota with it, and post pictures of it here.

I do loves me some irony! thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk

hahaha!
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

Merging has moved away from DSP based systems for HD since two years.
Merging Technologies
The Digidesign conterpart is still not officially available.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Damn digi - come on - it´s time for the new system.....
Old 22nd June 2010
Yeah - I want to move from M-Powered to HD but am waiting for the new format to hit the market.

Native?
We must be getting close to some sort of release - surely???

Can't live without ADC so I stay with Cubase 5 for now, and just use M-Powered to open projects, consolidate and 'export regions as files'.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
We must be getting close to some sort of release - surely???
Everybody can feel it.
Not shure what they are waiting for.

This would be the ideal time.
NADA is happening pro audio product wise these days.
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

amen
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

didn't I hear someone say fall?
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

I heard someone say summer
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Nut

May or may not be related... but I ordered a 003R Factory Complete from Sweetwater almost a month ago, and they're still waiting for Digi to give them the RMA. They don't even have any in stock. I cancelled my order today.

Then, I'm at work at the studio and I'm trying to get a LE 8 Update download for a little mix station we have, and I can't even get through to their phone support because they just keep bouncing me to some modem sounding fax line.
Old 22nd June 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

Just give me ADC and better converters, Avid!
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear
really guys the tech with digi is bad and we all know it especially at those prices! were not in 2002 any more! honestly as a 10 year use i've been done with them for a year now and i've been better off and don't have to think about anything. decided to roll with a rosetta, logic 9, some good plugs and a lunchbox with a api 512c and great river, already had a mac pro quad... i was looking to dump about 5,000 or so and they had nothing to offer me so they lost my money done deal.

there are many people like me out there now in there late 20's early 30's with cash to burn after growing up on the digi001,002,003 ect. and when you look at it hd is just not worth it when you compare it.
Old 1st July 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

I'm with you MattG - 30 and been working pro for nearly a decade. Flirted with HD a few times but ultimately make it work native in LE or Logic 9. Yeah, I would rather not track 14 sources at once but I mostly mix.
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good reply. That other guy got owned.. What kind of person deduces tone or inflection from digital text. Anyways, the market is down - but that's no excuse for a technology savvy company that is technologically stumped and stuffed with overpriced and OLD technology. I'm sorry, guys selling your old HD cards, you aren't going to get anything near what you're asking for or what you think you should make from me. I bought a computer for 3000$ in 2002, it's worth less than a hundred dollars today. I don't understand why digidesign is different from everyone else. If you refuse to innovate and evolve with the times you are destined for failure. If you believe you are entitled to my money you're also in trouble

Kenny G, that was a great analysis

BTW - What the hell is up with Peter Gabriel owning SSL?! I just learned this today! They're a great example of a "quality" company utilizing current trends
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear Guru

Attached Thumbnails
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move-avid.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

heh good one
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
"DIVA," LOL.

Love how AVID ripped off the Audiko logo...talk about trademark infringement and no originality!

Old 5th July 2010
Gear Addict

C'MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!
Old 5th July 2010
Quote:
"DIVA," LOL.

Love how AVID ripped off the Audiko logo...talk about trademark infringement and no originality!

Dude, are you serious?

Both logos are unoriginal.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgorny View Post
Dude, are you serious?

Both logos are unoriginal.
There's a certain group of GSers that get off on dissing Avid, him and Spicemix are the Pres and Veep of said group. heh
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
brilliant.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
There's a certain group of GSers that get off on dissing Avid,
Every industry has to have an "Establishment" that everyone can throw crap at. Probably 70% of the criticism has more to do with psychology than technology.
Old 31st July 2010
I heard a rumour that we are around a year away from a new system release.
Anyone got any 'inside' info?

I'm going to buy an HD2 anyway and hope that the new system will still work in the HD environment.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Most pro facilities (which I'll define as studios where the folks out in front of the microphones are being paid to be there) have had Pro Tools for a decade and switched to recording into it right after HD came out. No other DAW has come up with anything that would make pro studios want to replace their system. That would require something an order of magnitude better. Even then studios need to be able to reopen decades old projects so they have to keep Pro Tools around. A professional audio standard is largely defined by the economic value of the recordings recorded in that format. Avid/Digidesign simply won that race years ago.

There is simply no professional market for an "as good as or slightly better than but cheaper" DAW. The format compatibility issue alone makes it not worth the hassle.

Avid's biggest problem is that they are competing with themselves.
Strictly speaking, Bob, what you say is perfectly logical. Why would you post such a thing? You some kind of radical?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search