The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Cheap HD 1 PCIe
Digidesign HD Accel Core Card PCIe (PCI-e) - eBay (item 270533971030 end time Feb-21-10 16:14:56 PST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsound View Post
HD1 5 years from now? Possibly $0 resale value. 1084's 5 yrs from now? Possible INCREASE in value. Computer tech is not an investment. It's an expense.
I agree computer stuff does depreciate a lot by Digi HD and used Macs seem to do better than the average.

For example this system came out in 2002 is now about 8 years old it still has good value and is worth more than zero

USED DIGIDESIGN HD SYSTEM PCI WITH 192 INTERFACE - eBay (item 290362222702 end time Mar-28-10 15:13:26 PDT)
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Is it the time of the year when used HD systems - often the non-PCIe versions - will be used to show that native systems are costing the same, by comparing the cheapest available HD offer out there with new Symphony prices, and where list price, and not 'street price' is used for the native sysems?

:-)

Don't get me wrong, I know that PTHD used prices have been going down for a while, and that's of course great.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Lets face it, we all WANT WANT WANT.........

and now with the fantasy lives we lead on the internet & forums, we can act like we know how to run fortune 500 companies & write software code.

Its all so easy in a forum when "all you have to do is want"

as i was mixing tonight and i pulled down my plug in list to select a compressor from the list of 40+, i realized how crazy this all can get.
In the past ive done so much with so little as compared to today.

I think my gear owns me, i don't own it.
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Any of you guys ever had a session that you saved and closed, and when you open it back again the next day or whatever, the audio regions are all gone?

Ive had this problem more than once, the automation is there and everything, but no audio
ooooooooooold problem
for years
i know it since 5.1 or so...
on Mac OS9 and OsX and now on XP also...
randomly...sessionbackup folder is the key
(especially on very large sessions every now and then)

Quote:
Of course i also have the usual session crash every 1-2 days.
normal...
Quote:
And now that im into this, have you guys had the problem using wave plugins, specially the ssl or veq4 and all those, were a knob or parameter resets to 0 when you click on it? and if you try to move it and once resetted it wont move from default position? i have this problem very often, usually gets fixed by restarting PT, but i know a lot of ppl with the same problem...
you´re on PC? never had that on a mac
have it all the time on XP, Win7, PT6.4-8.03 (Mpowered AND HD)
"solution": any combination of leavin PT (not quitting but going to any other program) pressing windows (letting the startmenue come up)
pressing alt etc going back to PT. sometimes you just have to hide all floating windows (strg+wind+alt) and taking them back again ((strg+wind+alt again) helps or is needed in addition
fu...ing annoying but faster that restarting ...

WHY the hell doesn´t digi adress this???????
i am hardcore PT user for 16 years...you can imagine how much money they got from me over the years and these dumb idiots (sorry but i have to vent--i suffer undere these things EVERY DAY) IGNORE many of these things for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is a little hate buliding up inside me do you see???
if people like me really think about leaving plattform then who wouldn´t?
(ok we´re stuck by all our old sessions etc. but that makes the suffering even worse)

digi?
anyone?

ahhh noone because they dropped their programmers and moved to india or ukraine...hahaha i do not think there is any real hope on these things
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
While you have some valid points, I think in many aspects, you are wrong.
Technology:
- Who introduced the first actually usable elastic audio feature in daws?
- Who has the most advanced automation?
- Which was the first (or almost first) daw with complete pro routing?
- Which daw has the best control surfaces? (from le to hd)
etc, etc.

Avid must move on, I agree.
Wait, how was I wrong? I was talking about the advances in computer technology. I don't really disagree with your post, nor think mine contradicts it. I think pro Tools has got to raise the bar to stay competitive with the market (with fewer employees, etc.) Many users are switching. The hour is getting late.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any of you guys ever had a session that you saved and closed, and when you open it back again the next day or whatever, the audio regions are all gone?

I had a session, we had just done drums and the guide guitar, open it up the next day and for some reason a tom audio track is missing and so is the room track. Clearly a PT problem as the rest of the kit was still there! very weird.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsound View Post
I've actually found over the years that PT has the least amount of bugs out of the box, and definitely as the version matures. Cubase 4, even at the end of its update lifespan, has some very annoying bugs.

Of all the DAWs I've used Cubase is the closest for me in terms of almost euphoric openes and features, and I'm sure Nuendo's even better. But, PT does many things I need in a way I can't really work without, and I'm running LE. But I too am wishing Avid opens up a native system on par with the features of all the other native-loving DAWs like Cubendo and Logic.

Knowing I can open up virtually anyone's session at my studio makes me sleep that much better at night.
I totally agree, I can use pt7.4.2 with no hiccups, but just through my own personal experience I have had a lot more issues with pro tools 8 than I have had with logic.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
if it took 15 minutes to load sessions for people, this forum would explode.
Sounds like you are having your own isolated problem.
There are a few others that are having the same problem. I even reformatted and only installed pt8 and still no good! Hardware test was done to and it was all good. Seeing as pro tools 7.4.2 worked it seems to be a pt8 problem (according to digi/avid).

I actually have no idea what the problem could be, but it is incredibly frustrating.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Wait, how was I wrong? I was talking about the advances in computer technology. I don't really disagree with your post, nor think mine contradicts it. I think pro Tools has got to raise the bar to stay competitive with the market (with fewer employees, etc.) Many users are switching. The hour is getting late.
Oh, sorry, again, my english...heh
We actually agree!
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karp47 View Post
There are a few others that are having the same problem. I even reformatted and only installed pt8 and still no good! Hardware test was done to and it was all good. Seeing as pro tools 7.4.2 worked it seems to be a pt8 problem (according to digi/avid).

I actually have no idea what the problem could be, but it is incredibly frustrating.
Yes, as you mentioned few others has this problem. So it must be something with the setup, hard- and sotware combination.
Of course, pt8 introduced some problems, but for many of us, it is a rock solid release. Especially 8.0.3.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeek View Post
ooooooooooold problem
for years
i know it since 5.1 or so...
on Mac OS9 and OsX and now on XP also...
randomly...sessionbackup folder is the key
(especially on very large sessions every now and then)

normal...

you´re on PC? never had that on a mac
have it all the time on XP, Win7, PT6.4-8.03 (Mpowered AND HD)
"solution": any combination of leavin PT (not quitting but going to any other program) pressing windows (letting the startmenue come up)
pressing alt etc going back to PT. sometimes you just have to hide all floating windows (strg+wind+alt) and taking them back again ((strg+wind+alt again) helps or is needed in addition
fu...ing annoying but faster that restarting ...

WHY the hell doesn´t digi adress this???????
i am hardcore PT user for 16 years...you can imagine how much money they got from me over the years and these dumb idiots (sorry but i have to vent--i suffer undere these things EVERY DAY) IGNORE many of these things for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is a little hate buliding up inside me do you see???
if people like me really think about leaving plattform then who wouldn´t?
(ok we´re stuck by all our old sessions etc. but that makes the suffering even worse)

digi?
anyone?

ahhh noone because they dropped their programmers and moved to india or ukraine...hahaha i do not think there is any real hope on these things
Thanks for the tips man!!!, yeah im on PC, i like macs but hmmmm how do i say this without offending anyone... they are just not for me, very pretty and user friendly, if i would have them compared to cars the Mac would be a nice Bentley, and the PC would be a 1970s Dodge Charger, it has a lot of power under the hood, but you dont know what can happen next... i just learn to deal with it.

Regarding the session file backup folders, yeah like i said it in my previous post, thats a life saver, i dont know what i would do with out them...
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
If something like that was a regular problem that many people were having, i'd think it would be in USA today or featured on 60 minutes.
Might be that you need to head over to the Digi site and do some reading of the basics on setting up your system as well as system requirements for PT.

Protools has minimum requirements for you computer as well as basic knowledge of file management.
This goes for ANY DAW program.

And for those who don't like to RTFM...... there is no shortage of online video tutorials out there...... lots of them are posted on youtube for free.
i highly suggest investing in some, they are very affordable.
Even power users can learn new stuff...... i've picked up many tips from other users.
Well as you can see now, its not only me...
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

i'm not a pro tools user, but when my motu 828 died a while back, i would have gotten a digi.. but i ended up with the duet, because it had better converters and pres, i think for them to keep up in the lower end market, they need to make better hardware, and also include plug ins, if they did that, they would rule
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
i'm not a pro tools user, but when my motu 828 died a while back, i would have gotten a digi.. but i ended up with the duet, because it had better converters and pres, i think for them to keep up in the lower end market, they need to make better hardware, and also include plug ins, if they did that, they would rule
Next time you are on the market for a new system, I would recommend actually compare quality, functionality & at list check what you get in the package.
As plug-ins f. ex.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Software not hardware

All I want from Pro Tools is the ability to use the software with my own interface, Prism Orpheus, which has ASIO drivers. They would actually increase the number of people using their product if they did this. Or alternatively allow hardware manufacturers to create their own drivers for Pro Tools.
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
All I want from Pro Tools is the ability to use the software with my own interface, Prism Orpheus, which has ASIO drivers. They would actually increase the number of people using their product if they did this. Or alternatively allow hardware manufacturers to create their own drivers for Pro Tools.
Hear hear! I completely agree. I want to use an Ensemble or Metric Halo interface. Orpheus rocks, but I don't have the $$$...

I'm going to buy a new interface and if I have to use Logic I will.
If they unlocked Pro Tools, I WOULD use Pro Tools.
Old 22nd April 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
1. Duet is not a system. It is a component.
2. What plug ins did you get with the Duet?
3. Unless you are talking about M-Audio, the main PT line has nothing comparable to the Duet. The Duet is not a pro piece per se.
4. ALL ProTools systems come with plug-ins.
5. They DO rule. In case you haven't noticed, there are exponentially more PT systems sold than any other.
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
1. Duet is not a system. It is a component.
2. What plug ins did you get with the Duet?
3. Unless you are talking about M-Audio, the main PT line has nothing comparable to the Duet. The Duet is not a pro piece per se.
4. ALL ProTools systems come with plug-ins.
5. They DO rule. In case you haven't noticed, there are exponentially more PT systems sold than any other.
+10
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

rumor

Maybe it's mentioned before in this thread (didn't have time to read it all) but... I heard a rumor a couple days ago at a high profile store/distributor that there is a HD/LE crossbreed coming this summer in July.
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFool View Post
Maybe it's mentioned before in this thread (did'nt have time to read it all) but... I heard a rumor a couple days ago at a high profile store/distributor that there is a HD/LE crossbreed coming this summer in July.
I heard this as well.
Not shure about July.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Drop Prices of Euphonix gear.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Another 54% discount till june? WTF is going on? first one was till january, then march, now june?, and i bet it wont be the last... Is it like "lets get rid of the HD stock remaining?"
Old 5th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Another 54% discount till june? WTF is going on? first one was till january, then march, now june?, and i bet it wont be the last... Is it like "lets get rid of the HD stock remaining?"
I think it's pretty obvious, isn't it? they are most probaly about to hit the market with something new this summer, and are trying to liquidate the current HD stock. Pretty common business practice.
doesn't mean that they will stop supporting HD, of course not, it'll be supported for years to come with all the new discount buyrs and current pro database aroud the world.
But since something new is obviously coming, the price of HD systems will naturally drop big time, just like they did with previous protools systems when HD came out.
'tis what it is..
Old 5th May 2010
Motown legend

I wouldn't read into it that HD is about to be obsolete because the simple fact is that almost nobody is buying new systems of any kind. It makes perfect sense for them to turn as much of their HD hardware inventory into cash as they can by selling upgrades.
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

There has been a backorder for Digi HD systems of up to 3 months since they did the upgrade path.
I waited 1 month to get the PCI to PCIe cards crossgrade.

from what a friend of mine who is a Digi dealer told me, they have been selling more HD systems than they expected.

Thats not to say many people have been buying other stuff..... i have an HD rig as well as a Motu Traveller and a Profire 2626 for my other audio ventures.

How many people here have more than 1 type of audio rig?
Old 5th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
they are most probaly about to hit the market with something new this summer, and are trying to liquidate the current HD stock.
Not necessarily. They might actually be doing production runs to fulfill all these HD orders. My friend ordered a rig in Nov '09, from a major dealer, which was only delivered in April '10 (4 mos later).

Their VP has been flying around the country (forgot her name) telling everyone that the new hardware will supplement, not replace, current offerings and that the new products will be more evolutionary, than revolutionary. Sounds like they may be consolidating some Pro Tools product lines, but current owners will not be left out in the cold.
Old 5th May 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Drop Prices of Euphonix gear.
When your company posts losses of three million dollars that is exactly what you don't do.

I know one thing. There are fewer and fewer dealers by the day, as the reps make the calls. They want dealers to take less and invest more of their time with customers dealing with bad software DVDs, pages of compatibility issues, etc, etc. Screw that. How many people at Guitar Center will actually sit down and help someone on PT? How many of them REALLY know it? Come on Avid. Your heading down the wrong trail at the wrong time.
Old 5th May 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Not necessarily. They might actually be doing production runs to fulfill all these HD orders. My friend ordered a rig in Nov '09, from a major dealer, which was only delivered in April '10 (4 mos later).

Their VP has been flying around the country (forgot her name) telling everyone that the new hardware will supplement, not replace, current offerings and that the new products will be more evolutionary, than revolutionary. Sounds like they may be consolidating some Pro Tools product lines, but current owners will not be left out in the cold.
The dealer must not be a stocking dealer and/or must have had to two-step it. There has not been a shortage of HD hardware available.

I don't think consolidation is the word. They are making a building block system that is different from the building block of the past. Think ElevenRack....interface and processing. This way they will not alienate their existing base and will help bridge the gap between LE and HD.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

AVID's taking a dump. Stock is down 22% in last one month since Euphonix merger. PT HD 8.03 + hardware emulator cracked. Better move that Native version up from July.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

I think that's a reflection on the whole market
NASDAQ index is down about 20% from last month.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search