The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Here's Avid's next move...

Avid | News Room
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Digidesign will likely re-brand Pro Tools as strictly a consumer product with ultra low cost ($99) USB packages available at Best Buy etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Avid is not abandoning the audio segment. That low end segment is what pays their bills.
Yes, I know Digi is not abandoning the "Low End" audio segment (see my above previous post). I should have specified abandoning the "High End" audio segment.

The acquisition of Euphonix only fortifies the corporate level strategy to pursue the Broadcast/Post-Production segment. When a company lays off 320 "Pro Audio" engineers in Daly City (not Video engineers in Tewksbury), some product segment must suffer as company resources are re-directed.
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsound View Post
Here's Avid's next move...

Avid | News Room
Wow I was late to the party with that news.

Anything from NAB?
Old 12th April 2010

Quote:
Exactly as I had predicted.
isn't that the opposite of "leaving pro audio"?
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
isn't that the opposite of "leaving pro audio"?
I would say Euphonix LFDC desks (System 5 in all its incarnations) & controllers (System 5MC) are more prevalent in "Post-Production" facilities, than music. There are still the few CS2000/CS3000 kicking around music recording studios ("Pro Audio" product segment), but IMO Euphonix' footprint is largely in Broadcast/Post these days.
Old 12th April 2010

Quote:
The acquisition of Euphonix only fortifies the corporate level strategy to pursue the Broadcast/Post-Production segment.
actually the biggest user of high end I'd say - so ICON is pretty well installed there!!
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Avid's Next Move ...

Buy Pace/iLok ....
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
So your one of these people that want to pay the dealer for a Chevy Cavalier and want to drive off the the lot with a Maserati.
It's pretty simply
Protools LE is an entry level program with starter home user features with a small price tag.
Protools HD is the flagship product with professional level features and support with a premium price tag.
It's simple market plan that every company does.
FWIW if you know Dave Lebolt then you would have some idea why Apple would hire him instead of you.
Hello? are you even paying attention to what other DAW's are offering for that "small price tag"? Are you paying attention to advances in technology? Avid doesn't have to make them equal but they are not in a pretty situation and need to make some changes or they're going to lose a lot more of the market.
LE is bordering on cripple-ware compared to what modern technology is capable of, and to the feature sets of their competitors.
They seriously have to raise the bar on their flagship line as well.
cheers
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Go Native

Long time Cubase user here. For me I'd like to see Pro Tools go totally native on all OS platforms and offer AU, VST/ASIO, WDM etc compatibility. I use a Prism Orpheus which supports ASIO and I want to fully utilise that and my VST plug-ins in Pro Tools. I know I can do a digi out from my Prism to a digi in on an M-Powered piece but...

What's the odds on them opening their software up to native standards?

100:1?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
Long time Cubase user here. For me I'd like to see Pro Tools go totally native on all OS platforms and offer AU, VST/ASIO, WDM etc compatibility. I use a Prism Orpheus which supports ASIO and I want to fully utilise that and my VST plug-ins in Pro Tools. I know I can do a digi out from my Prism to a digi in on an M-Powered piece but...

What's the odds on them opening their software up to native standards?

100:1?
I'm curious, if this is such an awesome business model why isn't Steinberg the industry standard DAW maker and a raging money making machine? Instead of a small subsidiary of Yamaha?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Hello? are you even paying attention to what other DAW's are offering for that "small price tag"? Are you paying attention to advances in technology? Avid doesn't have to make them equal but they are not in a pretty situation and need to make some changes or they're going to lose a lot more of the market.
LE is bordering on cripple-ware compared to what modern technology is capable of, and to the feature sets of their competitors.
They seriously have to raise the bar on their flagship line as well.
cheers
While you have some valid points, I think in many aspects, you are wrong.
Technology:
- Who introduced the first actually usable elastic audio feature in daws?
- Who has the most advanced automation?
- Which was the first (or almost first) daw with complete pro routing?
- Which daw has the best control surfaces? (from le to hd)
etc, etc.

Avid must move on, I agree.
Old 20th April 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I'm curious, if this is such an awesome business model why isn't Steinberg the industry standard DAW maker and a raging money making machine? Instead of a small subsidiary of Yamaha?

Uhh, probably since Steinberg hasnt had any HARDWARE for YEARS and is just now making the ( Yamaha )MR816 interfaces and a small controller(CC121), thats it.

Digi makes its money with hardware sales and inflated HD prices
Protools software your getting for FREE

Digi has also convince the sheep that you CANT make a professional recording without Protools, great marketing BTW

Steinberg on the other hand DOES NOT give the customers what they want with the DAW and dont listen at all to end users compaints
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

I am personally still finding pt8 incredibly buggy, more so than logic 9. I have been speaking to digidesign for the last few weeks and although they have been helpful they haven't been able to solve my main problem (pro tools taking up to 15 minutes to load/create a session) I have literally tried everything to fix the problem and it seems to be a problem with the actual software (as 7.4.2 works perfectly)

Digi should really focus on making pro tools as reliable as possible and getting the midi editing on par or better than logic.

Pro Tools is a great program but I just seem to have to many unexplainable problems with it at the moment to justify using it over logic (even though I would prefer to)
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

I spend a lot of time at the Digi User Conference and I've never read about this problem. Does it happen on all PT session files, large and small, old and new?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Uhh, probably since Steinberg hasnt had any HARDWARE for YEARS and is just now making the ( Yamaha )MR816 interfaces and a small controller(CC121), thats it.

Digi has also convince the sheep that you CANT make a professional recording without Protools, great marketing BTW

Steinberg on the other hand DOES NOT give the customers what they want with the DAW and dont listen at all to end users compaints
Cool, so they both suck!!

Sounds about right. So again, why would company that sucks be smart to emulate another company that sucks??
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karp47 View Post
I am personally still finding pt8 incredibly buggy, more so than logic 9. I have been speaking to digidesign for the last few weeks and although they have been helpful they haven't been able to solve my main problem (pro tools taking up to 15 minutes to load/create a session) I have literally tried everything to fix the problem and it seems to be a problem with the actual software (as 7.4.2 works perfectly)

Digi should really focus on making pro tools as reliable as possible and getting the midi editing on par or better than logic.

Pro Tools is a great program but I just seem to have to many unexplainable problems with it at the moment to justify using it over logic (even though I would prefer to)
if it took 15 minutes to load sessions for people, this forum would explode.
Sounds like you are having your own isolated problem.
Old 20th April 2010

Quote:

you could lay that comment to ALL DAW makers. They listen to the bells and whistles demons far too much.
Old 20th April 2010
Motown legend

I love pointing out elephants in the room. The one in this room is the extraordinary cost of orphaned recording projects.

The amount of money that has been invested in almost twenty years of Pro Tools projects is why nothing is going to be be replacing Pro Tools as the standard in the foreseeable future. Professionals have no choice but to keep a Pro Tools rig running in order to stay in business even if they like another platform better. The race has been over for a decade.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The race has been over for a decade.
Which race?
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am personally still finding pt8 incredibly buggy
I've actually found over the years that PT has the least amount of bugs out of the box, and definitely as the version matures. Cubase 4, even at the end of its update lifespan, has some very annoying bugs.

Of all the DAWs I've used Cubase is the closest for me in terms of almost euphoric openes and features, and I'm sure Nuendo's even better. But, PT does many things I need in a way I can't really work without, and I'm running LE. But I too am wishing Avid opens up a native system on par with the features of all the other native-loving DAWs like Cubendo and Logic.

Knowing I can open up virtually anyone's session at my studio makes me sleep that much better at night.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The amount of money that has been invested in almost twenty years of Pro Tools projects is why nothing is going to be be replacing Pro Tools as the standard in the foreseeable future.
Not necessarily. I'm sure you have a Panasonic SV-3700 DAT machine laying around, to play old mixes, but I doubt you're still mixing to it these days.

Keeping legacy gear around to open old projects doesn't necessarily mean one has to spurn new technological advances.

PT is the industry standard (installed base approx 200k) because they had NuBus/PCI hardware cards around in the 90s. Now that card buss designs are giving way to multi-core software capabilities, I'm not sure a card-based platform will continue being the standard into the future.

At one time, cards were necessary for mission critical data throughput, but now have been reduced to merely a copy-protection scheme.
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
6K will buy you an brand new HD1 PCIe and a 192 and 8.5K will get you pair of Neve 1084's who is selling at inflated prices?
Sure I agree if you giving away studio time to a friends band 6K is way too high. But if your even in small studio billing $600-$700/day you probably can afford to do it. It's all relative
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
6K will buy you an brand new HD1 PCIe and a 192 and 8.5K will get you pair of Neve 1084's who is selling at inflated prices?
HD1 5 years from now? Possibly $0 resale value. 1084's 5 yrs from now? Possible INCREASE in value. Computer tech is not an investment. It's an expense.
Old 20th April 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Sure I agree if you giving away studio time to a friends band 6K is way too high. But if your even in small studio billing $600-$700/day you probably can afford to do it. It's all relative
In comparison to Steiny, DIGI would be inflated for sure

The statement was how DIGI had a cash cow and steiny was the little guy
My response was to that statement, I dont care how much they cost and how I can recoup the cost.

Cubase is $500, I got my MR816X for 750, $1250 total, thats still almost 5G more for the HD system. Im talking cost only here, NOT how great or non-great the system is

6K seems low, where are you finding that price BTW? That seems like a dealheh

My point was that STEINY has very little hardware to sell where as DIGI's profit comes from those hardware sales

Drum Tracking Session @ My Pad Check it! Diggin the sound and the song there!!!
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any of you guys ever had a session that you saved and closed, and when you open it back again the next day or whatever, the audio regions are all gone?

Ive had this problem more than once, the automation is there and everything, but no audio

Ive also had a problem were in the same situation when i try to open a session, the session opens, no audio files, and my tracks are reduced to 8 tracks, regardless of the amount of tracks i had before, meaning everything is gone!. Thank god for the Session Backup folder, if it werent for that ill be doomed! i keep my settings to autobackup every minute, you just dont know what could happen in PT 8.

Of course i also have the usual session crash every 1-2 days.

And now that im into this, have you guys had the problem using wave plugins, specially the ssl or veq4 and all those, were a knob or parameter resets to 0 when you click on it? and if you try to move it and once resetted it wont move from default position? i have this problem very often, usually gets fixed by restarting PT, but i know a lot of ppl with the same problem...
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Any of you guys ever had a session that you saved and closed, and when you open it back again the next day or whatever, the audio regions are all gone?
If something like that was a regular problem that many people were having, i'd think it would be in USA today or featured on 60 minutes.
Might be that you need to head over to the Digi site and do some reading of the basics on setting up your system as well as system requirements for PT.

Protools has minimum requirements for you computer as well as basic knowledge of file management.
This goes for ANY DAW program.

And for those who don't like to RTFM...... there is no shortage of online video tutorials out there...... lots of them are posted on youtube for free.
i highly suggest investing in some, they are very affordable.
Even power users can learn new stuff...... i've picked up many tips from other users.
Old 20th April 2010
djs
Gear Nut

Quote:

Ive had this problem more than once, the automation is there and everything, but no audio

Ive also had a problem were in the same situation when i try to open a session, the session opens, no audio files, and my tracks are reduced to 8 tracks, regardless of the amount of tracks i had before, meaning everything is gone!. Thank god for the Session Backup folder, if it werent for that ill be doomed! i keep my settings to autobackup every minute, you just dont know what could happen in PT 8.

And now that im into this, have you guys had the problem using wave plugins, specially the ssl or veq4 and all those, were a knob or parameter resets to 0 when you click on it? and if you try to move it and once resetted it wont move from default position? i have this problem very often, usually gets fixed by restarting PT, but i know a lot of ppl with the same problem...
Yep, I've had audio vanish after closing a session, quitting protools (LE 8), then opening a session the next day. I had been recording my own band and it was late, and maybe a few drinks had gone by. I thought I was just tired and did something stupid... until it happened again a few weeks later! I have been using pt for over 6 years since version 5. Never had this issue...ever.

I was speculating that it may have something to do with the large file size or something. I think I had around 14 tracks @ 44.1k, and maybe a 90+minute take. Within a few min I saved then quit. Since then I save and wait 10 or 15 min before quitting. No repeats yet. Oh, auto save is and was always on, set to bkup every 1min. You are not alone! Very scary stuff! At least it was my own band, just jamming, and not a client!
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

the missing audio has happened to me a few times
actually last time it happened was 2 weeks ago
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Pro Tools HD is NOT 5 grand any more. If you buy used an HD 1 can be put together for under 3. eBay buy it now. Did it for a friend like 5 or 6 months ago.
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

A PCI HD1 for under 3k maybe... I've never seen a PCI-E HD1 for that cheap!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search