The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Another thing i forgot to add....... Humans have not had any hardware upgrades to their hearing or sight since the dawn of man.

We have augmented them with hearing aids & glasses though.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
No. My question was…

Why should they give us more if you admit they already have the best product for mixing and editing?
because its expensive maybe?
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
One thing to remember is that we are very close to a real turning point in hardware. Two major changes are just a few months off. One is USB-3. The other is a new generation of Ethernet.

Both of these are prime candidates for a next-generation audio interface and DSP package that will probably equal or exceed the capabilities of anything you can put in a computer slot. Nobody's going to develop new hardware for today's computers so the next generation of DAWs can only be expected to appear after USB3 and the new Ethernet have hit the mainstream.
Very good point, Bob.

Currently Firewire 400/800 and USB 2 trail a fair way behind PCIe in terms of bandwidth.
PCIe 2.0 supports 500Mbs per lane and Mac Pro's support up to 16 lanes per card.

USB3 is 4.8Gbs.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

That is precisely why I am thinking about buying an rme 400 UC... at least usb 3.0 will be backwards compatible, imagine the amount of firewire interfaces in the landfill soon...
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why should they give us more...
The development of HD was a revolution and a hard act to follow. But if they can't impose a new line, they'll simply disappear.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

It would be great if their new software would offer built in internet communincation between studios like source connect for free.
Old 4th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
That is precisely why I am thinking about buying an rme 400 UC... at least usb 3.0 will be backwards compatible, imagine the amount of firewire interfaces in the landfill soon...
Pretty simple to build adapters to make that not true! Plus it's a good few years away yet!! Didn't affect me when SCSI left the building - yet at one time everything I had in DAW land was SCSI.
Old 4th April 2010
Motown legend

i don't have a whole lot of trouble imagining a next generation mixer having far more comprehensive cue mixes and snapshot recall capability. I also strongly suspect we are going to see a return to a lot of live recording which is something that current DAWs take a mighty primitive approach to.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also strongly suspect we are going to see a return to a lot of live recording which is something that current DAWs take a mighty primitive approach to.
thumbsup
I've noticed in the last 6 months, more and more people are coming here to
do what they can't at home - record live.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Pretty simple to build adapters to make that not true! Plus it's a good few years away yet!! Didn't affect me when SCSI left the building - yet at one time everything I had in DAW land was SCSI.
good point, everything that comes out has standalone functionality as well so its not an issue at all...

Hey Hook! did you work on the new autozamm?
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
But for the HD user, who is still using a Mac G5 because it has PCI slots (instead of PCIe cards), you have to buy a new computer plus get a crossgrade for all your cards. (about $5,000 more for an HD 3 owner like me).
I've just transferred my HD3 Accel PCI system to a custom built hackintosh: Quad Core Xeon, 8GbRAM, nice rack mount case, quiet too. $1500. Running PT 8.0.3 with OS10.6.2 fine for a week now.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
It would be great if their new software would offer built in internet communincation between studios like source connect for free.
Purchase a copy of Source Connect and you CAN interface with other studios for free. Compared to what our ISDN lines used to cost, plus the cost of a Zephyr, the $1200 or so dollars for SC pro is pretty cheap. The light version is only a few hundred.

It would be cool to get it bundled within PT, but I'm not holding my breath. If you look on the source connect site and go by the the number of registered users, there aren't that many people who need or want it. I'd like it. But someone's got to write the code and provide the support. I'd be surprised if DIGI was willing to toss that in as a bonus.
Old 11th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboy View Post
I've just transferred my HD3 Accel PCI system to a custom built hackintosh: Quad Core Xeon, 8GbRAM, nice rack mount case, quiet too. $1500. Running PT 8.0.3 with OS10.6.2 fine for a week now.
I really wish you hadn't said that!!
Old 11th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
Purchase a copy of Source Connect and you CAN interface with other studios for free. Compared to what our ISDN lines used to cost, plus the cost of a Zephyr, the $1200 or so dollars for SC pro is pretty cheap. The light version is only a few hundred.

It would be cool to get it bundled within PT, but I'm not holding my breath. If you look on the source connect site and go by the the number of registered users, there aren't that many people who need or want it. I'd like it. But someone's got to write the code and provide the support. I'd be surprised if DIGI was willing to toss that in as a bonus.
not the same as ISDN.
Old 11th April 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
I've just transferred my HD3 Accel PCI system to a custom built hackintosh: ...
And if you switch to XP you can use all manner of audio utilities, many of them free, that have no equivalent on the Mac.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

I predict their next move will be to buy Euphonics.
Old 11th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict View Post
interesting.
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I like your "predictive" skills.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-euphonix.html
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous, man, it'd be a disaster!

Old 11th April 2010
Gear Head

Official Press Release on Avid's acquisition of Euphonix.

Avid | News Room
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Hey Hook! did you work on the new autozamm?
Hey Suda, Krish Sharma (Rolling Stones, Serj Tankian, Counting Crows)
produced and i did some of the engineering with him and all the PT work.
Was a fun record to do.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Look for AVID to abandon the pro audio segment and divert all resources into vigorously pursuing the broadcast/post-production segments to remain viable (not unlike Euphonix once did).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMaziad View Post
Official Press Release on Avid's acquisition of Euphonix.

Avid | News Room
Exactly as I had predicted.
Old 11th April 2010
Lives for gear

Cool stuff hook it sounds great!

Wow we have our own audio nostradamus... any more predictions?
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
could you give me the specs of that computer? especially the motherboard. please and thank you!
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
And if you switch to XP you can use all manner of audio utilities, many of them free, that have no equivalent on the Mac.
Bob, do you run a PCI PT HD system? if so, could you tell me the specs / motherboard of your pc?

sorry for the OT, as you were...
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
could you give me the specs of that computer? especially the motherboard. please and thank you!
+1

veeryyy tempted to just go the hackintosh route instead of a mac pro. Hate Pcs... but don't know if i can justify over 5 grand.
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

well i'm running PT HD on PC/Win for over 3 years now and i'm happy. it's just that i want to add another card and need another PCI slot to do so, which means a rebuild, so i'm doing the research.

these computaters can be temperamental beasts...

if you decide to go PC for your HD i'd be happy to give you any advice that i can.

again, apologies for the OT.
Old 12th April 2010
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
Bob, do you run a PCI PT HD system? if so, could you tell me the specs / motherboard of your pc?
I run an M-Powered with an Audiophile 192 PCI card feeding outboard converters on a Dell 690 workstation since I only need stereo. It has been dramatically more solid than the home-brew PeeCee I used to use. I think the current "official recommended" PC is an HP workstation.
Old 12th April 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
The physical offices may still be there, because they are leased until September 2014, but it is only a skeleton crew there. The "core" team has long since left the building.

Digi recently closed one whole floor, of Pro Tools development, at the Daly City offices. If you've driven by that building (the one with the Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Subway, Fuddruckers etc), it is not small. Closing one whole floor is a huge headcount reduction...320 to be exact. That is 320 Pro Tools engineers let go after years of loyalty and dedication.

Their marketing budget now eclipses the product development budget. The ICON is not selling in the pro audio segment, only in the post-production segment.

Look for AVID to abandon the pro audio segment and divert all resources into vigorously pursuing the broadcast/post-production segments to remain viable (not unlike Euphonix once did).
Avid is not abandoning the audio segment. That low end segment is what pays their bills.
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I run an M-Powered with an Audiophile 192 PCI card feeding outboard converters on a Dell 690 workstation since I only need stereo. It has been dramatically more solid than the home-brew PeeCee I used to use. I think the current "official recommended" PC is an HP workstation.
thank you.

since i'm running PCI HD i'll keep home-brewing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search