The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign Pro Tools Next Move Audio Interfaces
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Why do you think Digi is offering 54% discounts on HD products when you give them your Digi002/003?, i guess ppl are not buying as much HD's as they used to....
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Except that most of the better sounding recent plug-ins have no sample delay at all. You're talking about the '90s when the only decent sounding plug-in compresses and limiters had significant delays. 99% of today's PT users don't use that stuff any more.
This is a good example of how career achievement and factual knowledge are often uncorrelated. We ought to have the courage to correct a "legend" because there are too many people that confuse the two.

Upsampling is essential for anti-aliasing, there needs to be additional frequency space for the harmonics to extend into otherwise they will reflect back into the audible band as inharmonic distortion via simple mathematics.

The best compressors have nonlinearity as a result of their operation and thus can benefit from anti-aliasing.

Upsampling (and downsampling) by nature requires processing delay.

Therefore it will be impossible to implement an anti-aliased compressor plugin without insert delay, that requires compensation by the DAW to maintain session sync.

Not to mention some of the best compressor plugins are protected from piracy by running on hardware accelerators, such as UAD, that have insert delay as a result of interfacing with the hardware.

It's the fear of UAD as a competitor for TDM that has driven Avid to bar delay compensation from their native products. This is made explicit by their refusal to grant UAD an RTAS license.

Seek out a more competitive DAW, and certainly seek out plugins that have processing delay for good reason, hopefully more of them in the future than the present.
Old 15th December 2009
Motown legend

Why is it that UAD always seems to come up in these automagic delay compensation discussions?
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Why is it that UAD always seems to come up in these automagic delay compensation discussions?
For the simple reason that that is the (somewhat secret) reason for denying the native line the ADC functionality. Avid is afraid people will just fill their machine with UAD cards and plugins, which are about 1/4 the price of TDM cards and TDM plugins.

The UAD Neve 33609 plugin I think most plugin authors would agree is just about the state of the art in plugin design. Yes I clearly prefer my hardware version to it, but it's very nice to have such a thing as a plugin for less than 1/10th the price of the analog hardware. It oversamples and has an anti-aliased saturation model that is flawless...these are things you just are not going to achieve with zero latency plugins.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Nut

I haven't been reading through this entire thread, and so I'm sure this has been mentioned but what Pro Tools needs to do is bring Delay Compensation into the LE platform. This will at least put them on the same playing field as some of the other software.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Noise View Post
I haven't been reading through this entire thread, and so I'm sure this has been mentioned but what Pro Tools needs to do is bring Delay Compensation into the LE platform. This will at least put them on the same playing field as some of the other software.
Haha yes this has been stated about 300 other times during this thread. My response is Pro Tools does have Delay Compensation. Its called HD. If you want to use the name Pro Tools, and you want to feel "Pro" spend the money and get HD. If not please don't complain that LE "Light Edition" is crippled. THATS WHAT ITS MADE TO BE... CRIPPLED!!! Please Buy Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc.. and stay within your budget, and except that you don't use Pro Tools.

I find it so funny, people bitch that Pro Tools LE doesnt have ADC. A million other Daws within that price range do have ADC. Why complain. You're only complaining because you want the Pro Tools name without the price tag otherwise known as "Have your cake and eat it to". Theres a reason people use LE. They want the name. PAY FOR IT! If you want a Corvette you don't buy an Aveo then bitch it doesnt run and look like a Corvette.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Nut

ha,ha Logic has no head room for mixing, sonar is crippled because of editing and monverability, maybe cubase is a better option but I'm not fimiliar. and if these so called less superior softwares have ADC they why not Pro Tools less superior version? I understand the marketing, but its also marketing that is losing them business. Besides those that use the various other platforms have probably stolen said software. And if I want to work at home I'll use LE, so that when I go into the studio with HD the transsion is easy. Why have HD at home if its at your studio. But having said that it would still be nice to have ADC at home, to get ahead on some mixing. Right

Sorry if I offending you
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP40oz View Post
Haha yes this has been stated about 300 other times during this thread. My response is Pro Tools does have Delay Compensation. Its called HD. If you want to use the name Pro Tools, and you want to feel "Pro" spend the money and get HD. If not please don't complain that LE "Light Edition" is crippled. THATS WHAT ITS MADE TO BE... CRIPPLED!!! Please Buy Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc.. and stay within your budget, and except that you don't use Pro Tools.

I find it so funny, people bitch that Pro Tools LE doesnt have ADC. A million other Daws within that price range do have ADC. Why complain. You're only complaining because you want the Pro Tools name without the price tag otherwise known as "Have your cake and eat it to". Theres a reason people use LE. They want the name. PAY FOR IT! If you want a Corvette you don't buy an Aveo then bitch it doesnt run and look like a Corvette.
I could careless about "the name" I use PT because I prefer it's work flow and GUI over anything else I've used. I've used Cubase, DP, and Logic over the years and none of them are as good at editing audio as PT IMO. I still use logic almost every day for programming simply because it's way more efficient with VI's than PT is but as soon as I'm done programming everything ends up in PT. Hopefully there will be a day when RTAS VI's perform as well as the AU's do and I'll be able to leave Logic for good. I tried going back to Logic for everything after 9 came out but it's still lacking a lot on the audio side for me (I've been using Logic since ver 4 so I'm very familiar with it) I'm using LE w/MPTK with a 002rack clocked to an apogee rosetta 800 on a 1st gen Macpro quad. It's been very stable and I have no problems tracking at 64 samples running multiple headphone mix's and plugins. My biggest gripe with LE is the interface options. I'm ok with LE being limited in it's stock form but i wish there was something in between LE and HD that offered more inputs, adc ect...IMO the Complete bundle should offer this stuff. At 2,000.00 thats no longer a "light edition" If I have to go to HD I probably will at some point but not until I have a better idea of what digi is going to do in the future. I have more faith in digi than I do apple at this point. While PT has it's issues for sure, compared to some of the bug's in logic (some of which have been there for years) I think they are still way ahead.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Noise View Post
ha,ha Logic has no head room for mixing, sonar is crippled because of editing and monverability, maybe cubase is a better option but I'm not fimiliar. and if these so called less superior softwares have ADC they why not Pro Tools less superior version? I understand the marketing, but its also marketing that is losing them business. Besides those that use the various other platforms have probably stolen said software. And if I want to work at home I'll use LE, so that when I go into the studio with HD the transsion is easy. Why have HD at home if its at your studio. But having said that it would still be nice to have ADC at home, to get ahead on some mixing. Right

Sorry if I offending you
No offense taken. It just gets said over and over again. It just seems everyone wants to say they use Pro Tools but only wanna pay LE prices. That's not how it works. BTW I bought my HD2 system on eBay for peanuts. They days of HD being expensive are over. Your Digi 003 sold used plus $1000 and you got an HD1. I would much rather them stick with the DSP format. I love the reliability, the stability and the low latency. I don't want Pro Tools to stoop down to the other Daws. Native is fine but I want something more. Give me a more powerful DSP system and you got my money.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Digi(Avid) is going to have to come with something major to keep a lot of customers. The era of the multi-million dollar studio is coming to an end and with the economy like it is and given the nature of the music/post industry there will only a few major studios that will even consider buying their products. In the end they will end up going out of business because they have stuck to an old out-dated business model. I have seen a bunch of Apple this and Avid that, but if you guys don't remember Apple was about to shut close up shop until Microsoft came along and bought a significant share in Apple to keep them alive, which was critical to the continuance of Microsoft. Without Apple they would have had to have been broken up because of their monopoly status.

Avid isn't anywhere near the position that Apple was in. There is not a single competitor to Avid that would be hurt by the loss of Avid. With that said, the industry is moving to the home/project studio market. Sure some people will still buy their products, but not enough to keep them in business. Now it seems they have realized this with the Pro Tools Essentials. Which begs the question, are they going to either:

A) Have three support teams running to maintain Essentials, LE, and HD
B) Have two support teams to maintain two versions of their software, Essentials and HD(Native).

I see a lot of "insider talk" about the next version is going to blow people away, but I highly doubt it. If it is "insider talk" then chances are they are the ones that get to beta test hardware and software and have everything to gain by hyping the product. I still see the same argument about if you want "pro" then you have to spend the cash, which is a mindset that is slowly dieing when it comes to this industry. Especially with computer technology being able to support software platforms that can give all the track counts and processing power one needs.

It is getting to the point now where when the kid in his bedroom wants to send his stuff off for mixing will call up a studio that supports the software that he is using, if the studio doesn't support it on to the next one. Hence the introduction of Pro Tools Essentials. What happens when those kids want to move on and Avid only gives them the option of LE or HD beyond that? Chances are they are going to move on to the next option and drop the cash saved into good pre's, converters, and other outboard gear.

Also Pro Tools 8 has been out for 2 years now, it's time for another version and new hardware. The days of 3 cars in the driveway are over, so if Avid doesn't adapt then they will be left in the dust. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will disagree with me, but that is okay time will tell and I'm pretty sure if Avid doesn't come out with a Native version of Pro Tools with the option of just upgrading interfaces to increase the number of tracks then Avid won't be around much longer.

I know I'm have an M-Box 1 and this is the last version that supports it, and I'm ready to have an interface with more in/outs and routing options and I'm going to take my 3 grand and buy rig that I can continually add onto and not be tied to a single software. While I keep my Pro Tools rig so if I ever decide to record other people if they ask if I have Pro Tools and I can tell them yes and just not use it. Once I get them in the door I can use my people skills to convince them that software doesn't matter it's the end product that does. Then export the session in OMF format to take with them.

That is my opinion at least. I also think it is pretty accurate, maybe it's just the ego though.
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you want to use the name Pro Tools ...
Quote:
You're only complaining because you want the Pro Tools name without the price tag ...
Quote:
Theres a reason people use LE. They want the name.
Quote:
It just seems everyone wants to say they use Pro Tools ...
not to say you sound like an arrogant ass, but...
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

I hope pro tools goes DSD

seriously - that would get my attention and cash VERY quickly
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv View Post
not to say you sound like an arrogant ass, but...
Fine fine but the point being is everything LE users want is available in other DAWs or in HD so I don't see why anyone would use LE as their primary DAW. I have an mbox for on the go editing but I wouldn't mIx with it.

I think Neumanns next move should be to give me a U87 for the price I got my TLM 103 for and they should do it cause all the other mic companies have mics for $700 so I think that's reasonable... If only that would really happen I'd be a happy man.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fine fine but the point being is everything LE users want is available in other DAWs or in HD so I don't see why anyone would use LE as their primary DAW. I have an mbox for on the go editing but I wouldn't mIx with it.

I think Neumanns next move should be to give me a U87 for the price I got my TLM 103 for and they should do it cause all the other mic companies have mics for $700 so I think that's reasonable... If only that would really happen I'd be a happy man.
Well, I think you raised very good points, really.
And that is clear avid did thought that le should not have more and more features.
But now time has changed. Even avid changed the policy, when they were put out the toolkit options for pt le.
Now (I think reasonably) the quite large le userbase want even more into le. Why?
Because many pro realized that le is a very capable daw, so why not make it full featured?

Your neumann example is fantastic!heh
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post

YESSSSS!!! DSD is the best commercially available sound quality on earth.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

The world is changing. I want a DAW running on my MBP. Even if I'm willing to pay HD prices for a native PT they simply don't have a product for it...

ADC is only a small thing to me since 95% of the plugins I use are 0 samples latency. But I do want 64 busses and freeze functionality. Sure, I could run Logic. But I like Pro tools... I'm not mad at them for not releasing what I want, but in your opinion I'm not even allowed to ask for it?
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
The world is changing. I want a DAW running on my MBP. Even if I'm willing to pay HD prices for a native PT they simply don't have a product for it...

ADC is only a small thing to me since 95% of the plugins I use are 0 samples latency. But I do want 64 busses and freeze functionality. Sure, I could run Logic. But I like Pro tools... I'm not mad at them for not releasing what I want, but in your opinion I'm not even allowed to ask for it?
Oh definitely you can ask for it my point being is the LE users who feel they're being screwed by not having ADC. The purpose of LE has been made very clear by Digi, it's even in the name. Also everyones claiming plugins have 0 latency. I use mainly the Waves Mercury bundle and Drumagog and I can't find 1 plugin with 0 latency. Am I doing something wrong on my end or are you guys using different plugins?
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh definitely you can ask for it my point being is the LE users who feel they're being screwed by not having ADC. The purpose of LE has been made very clear by Digi, it's even in the name. Also everyones claiming plugins have 0 latency. I use mainly the Waves Mercury bundle and Drumagog and I can't find 1 plugin with 0 latency. Am I doing something wrong on my end or are you guys using different plugins?

I don't feel screwed. You know what you get when you buy LE. That doesn't change the fact however that I feel PDC is hardly a feature that should fall under "LE". Busses amount, tracks amount, included plugins and I/O options, but PDC is such a silly thing to withhold from users in my opinion. It's a workflow feature. not a "FEATURE!" if you get what I mean.

About Latency, I don't use waves but Wavesupport | Tech Specs | Latency Chart shows there are definitely 0 latency plugins in your bundle. SSL, V-Series, API, CLA. Most of them have 0 samples... I use plugs from McDSP, Fabfilter, PSP and others, and the overwhelming majority induce no latency. Some EQs. And limiters. But I hardly ever use a limiter apart from the master where it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

If PTLE had ADC, would all the people that can't seem to stop bitching about it be happy and make better music?

Is not having ADC really whats holding you back as an artist or producer or engineer?
Is PTLE, Logic, Performer, Cubase, Nuendo, Live, Reason or Samplitude the savior or anchor of your life?
If you are so happy with Logic,etc what are doing looking thru Protools posts?

I also want a flying car....... if GM or Toyota had their **** together, they could make a fortune off people if they made one...... i'd whip out my credit card as long as it was around $17,500, got 50MPG+, had an iPod Dock, Leather interior with a sunroof, and was really stylish.
These car companies today have no clue what they are missing, boy are they missing the boat...... i want it NOW!

The arrogance of the internet is astounding! All you have to do is "Want, Dream & Type"....... no effort required.

After 30+years in the studio business, i can't believe how fortunate we all are to have the tools we do....... if you can't make a record with this stuff starting at under $1000 and up, you will never be able to. I consider us all VERY blessed with any of the technology that people work so hard to bring to us.

Thanks to all you software & hardware designers! I hope you are as rich as you are smart!
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yeah, there are other DAWs that have the things LE users complain about, but i don't use PT just b/c of the name, and i'm sure countless others can say the same. personally, i use LE as my primary DAW b/c i don't need any more than two channels to track, so what good would an HD1/2/3 system do for me when i'd be better served using that $$$ toward a nice mic, pre, converter upgrade, or packing my computer with more RAM?? i understand LE's limitations, and other DAWs simply do not have the editing capablities that PT has to offer, even in its LE form. for editing alone, i'd keep my Mbox.

having said that, i'm sure you're right that [a small portion of] people do use PT just for the label...but i wouldn't be so quick to generalize. people have their reasons, be it workflow, the ease to open sessions elsewhere, learning on PT to begin with, et al.

in any event, i could care less about ADC. perhaps some of the bitching is warranted, but you're right in that you get what you pay for and people should understand that, even if every other platform out there has it...Avid is a business and they can't cram all the good HD stuff into LE. however, there are some things that you really gotta wonder how/why some seemingly simple additions (i.e. Freeze) haven't found their way into PT...

what i think will end up happening is Avid will concentrate on more software expansions, like making the MPTK standard in 8.2 (that is, if they don't succumb to a number war and call it 9 already...). but if they keep up with the Eleven Racks and Mackie partnerships route, they won't hold all their users. if we see a Pro Tools - Guitar Center Edition, i think at that point i'll run for the hills. i'd love for them to make a quality LE (or whatever LE is to become) interface, but i'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
I think Neumanns next move should be to give me a U87 for the price I got my TLM 103 for and they should do it cause all the other mic companies have mics for $700 so I think that's reasonable...
LOL!! heh
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
After 30+years in the studio business, i can't believe how fortunate we all are to have the tools we do....... if you can't make a record with this stuff starting at under $1000 and up, you will never be able to. I consider us all VERY blessed with any of the technology that people work so hard to bring to us.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If PTLE had ADC, would all the people that can't seem to stop bitching about it be happy and make better music?
If PTLE had ADC, I would use it to mix. Simple as that. I already own it, but I also own Sonar. I'm happy with our tools too, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss ways to make them better. There is just no reason that any DAW in 2009 should not have PDC. I agree with spicemix that this can all be traced back to the UAD squabble.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I own 2 HD rigs. 1 HD3 on a G5, One HD 2 on a quad mac pro.
I do most of my pre mixing on a 8 core mac pro, 003 and complete production toolkit.

I have experienced on numerous occasions when trying to open my LE projects on the HD 2, due to HD's allocation of voices on RTAS enabled tracks that they just won't open. Although on paper there should not be a problem. The G5 HD3 doesn't have a hope in hell of opening these sessions.

The argument that those who use LE are just using it for its name is a little short sighted. LE is a massively capable DAW but crippled intentionally considering the power of modern computers. HD is somewhat crippled by its inability to truly capitalize on the power of modern computers... RTAS voice allocation being the example.

Without considering IO and 0 latency monitoring... just for mixing, in reality it would take HD3 running on a decent mac pro to out perform my LE system.

The idea that buying HD will solve all your problems, for me at least is untrue. Fair enough I should buy another accel card...
but the Native Vs. HD race even in its current form is closer than you imagine.
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I also want a flying car....... if GM or Toyota had their **** together, they could make a fortune off people if they made one...... i'd whip out my credit card as long as it was around $17,500, got 50MPG+, had an iPod Dock, Leather interior with a sunroof, and was really stylish.
These car companies today have no clue what they are missing, boy are they missing the boat...... i want it NOW!

- perfectly captures the mood and spirit of these threads

all the would-be CEOs of Avid with their plans for 'saving' the company!
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
When Toyota and Honda are sell a flying car for $17500, then GM had better catch up!

I may like a Civic more than a Camry, but if the Camry can fly that's where I'm going...

I may like Pro Tools better than Logic, but I Logic can mix, so that's what I've been using of late... Avid's not getting one more cent from me until ADC comes to PT... and maybe more than that; every day I use Logic PT becomes less and less important to me..

THAT's what the CEO's of AVID need to think about; also, I've had a few musician friends just getting into recording come to me and ask them what DAW they should get; I didn't have any of them get PT. Avid lost 3 sales there!
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is not having ADC really whats holding you back as an artist or producer or engineer?
not here. I just want to be able to add more d/a channels. I don't mind spending the cash on external converters, I'd just like to be able to do 24 or 32.

I like the PT software. That's what's been keeping me from switching so far. Not waiting forever though.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

FWIW: I see more post of people crusing the Protools threads saying "I Love Logic".

???? If you love Logic so much, what makes you read Protools threads and bash it??
Why wouldn't you be reading the "I Love Logic Threads, and i wanna learn more thread"

ADC is really only a problem when you have multitracked drums & such when you want phase coherence. If your plug in is making something late, nudge the track till it sounds good dummy! Its not rocket science!

When tracking, Most humans can easily deal with a 3ms delay+/- (digital consoles usually have around 2ms-3ms +/- input to output delay- ie, Yamaha PM1D/5D, Sony DMXR-100 have 2.5ms delay in to out).
3ms = 144 samples = 3'2" distance (at 48k)
Yes i know that a Digi003, etc can have a large latency if you don't set it up correctly.

When you are gigging on a stage and the drummer is 9 ft behind you, you have:
8.276ms delay = 397.265 samples (at 48k)
Do you start crying because of the "Latency" (or post a thread to the bassist)

I think that people are just reading too many threads from misinformed people and are jumping on a bandwagon that they have no idea where it is going, or where it came from.

Yes it would be nice if PTLE fixed it all for you, but if that is the thing that is holding you back, you probably have some other issues that you just can't see yet.

I Like Protools...... i also like all the other DAWS for certain reasons too, but you eventually have to make a choice if you wanna get something done besides reading manuals and threads...........
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If DAW-X had feature-X, would all the people that can't seem to stop bitching about it be happy and make better music?
I think what you're saying applies across all platforms, so I slightly altered your question.
Old 19th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post

Yes and that makes sense as well as one Icon customer is equal to 150 LE customers.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Many plugins, without bothering to tell you, have latencies in the 3000 sample range. That's about 150ms.

If you are only worried about tracks being 150ms out of sync in the case of multitracked drums, I'm concerned for your sense of timing. I have had clients detect such timing errors in rough mixes on just the vocal.

Anyway they are apparently going to start selling a very pricey somewhat decrippled native Pro Tools starting in April. Merry Effing Xmas.

Back to Logic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search