The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sounding Off: Is New Gear Better? (Ethan's article on SOS) Condenser Microphones
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

You have to be born in this generation to understand how empty and emotionless plug-ins are. You older guys are basing your plug in experience after using the greatest analog gear for years and years. If you had started out with only Sonar Prod as I did, you would have completely different perspective. I had a p.o.d. for my guitar rig starting out for years, now I have a pain stakingly collected Pedal board of the greatest vintage pedals. It sounds so much better it is insane. The reason old music still carrys its torch well (as opposed to old movies) is the emotion. Most people probably can't tell the difference between analog vs. digital, I guarantee you they can feel it. It inspires so much more emotion. Every expensive hi-fi speaker has 2nd and 3rd harmionic distortion to some degree, this is by far the most emotionally reactive sounds we have around. If you choose, as I do, to treat your daw as a tape machine- the basic conversion of analog altered gear is much more effective than the processor deciding what ones and zeros to give out. This is much more a represenation of real life. The reason tape is so valuable today is if you are summing 32 tracks at 192khz into digital the entire project goes straight back to 2 tracks at 192khz. If you sum onto tape you have preserved 32 tracks x 192 khz. This is 32 times the quality- then transfer back to digital the computer is representing that with real conversion equations not digital manipulation. Its much harder to hear what digital recordings lack today when you have been enjoying the quality of anlog for the past 30 years. If you grow up in a digital only environment then hear real analog, us younger guys can recognize the difference of emotion much better. Its like watching High Definition film of a lake your entire life, then going to the lake for the first time in real life- the qualities of real life hit you that much harder. You guys have been there done that , guess what- WE ARE JUST AS SMART AS YOU GUYS IF NOT SMARTER- its just experience you have on us. You can not speak for our perspective yearning for a higher quality of life that we recognize in the past. We dont spend thousands of dollars on outboard vintage gear because we are stupid or mistaken, we do it because in a crucial time in history where its dangerously close to a plastic existence where our future kids and their kids really dont have the taste of the past in their mouths, and lose what is so magical of yester years. ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE- Boss can not mass produce digital pedals in Taiwan for pennys and have them stand up to their Japanese anlaog pioneer line. No drum machine today can match the tr-808 and all these PCB Marshall amps can not even come close to my 1972 point to point wired Plexi. Even down to my fossilized Mammoth bone nuts in my strats and Pauls over graphite. It is ALL crap today. You have the luxury of being in the good ol days and dont understand what is like to never have that. This is a war for EMOTION and sacred sounds. The more people try to convince the younger generation that being lazy and digital is OK, the more you do them a huge dis service. We will preserve this very special time in hisory and learn that Technology is a blessing and also a very big CURSE!!! These things are very important!!! With all do respect ofcousre!!!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

i´m 31 and don´t know everything about audio
i still find out new things every month and really love it
for me there´s no black or white in this old vs new discussion, every situation has it´s own case
i found out some things for me that are true in my small world, maybe it´s interesting:

1. analog eqs can do things that digital eqs can´t do
2. otb summing is a myth
3. great sounding rooms are very important
4. we can´t measure everything
5. it´s a shame how some new gear sounds, that carries a great name
6. it´s suprising how good some low budget modern gear sounds
7. AD converters show their strength when you record many tracks
8. V78 is beautiful, but also is SMP-2, there is no decade for great gear, it´s good or not
9. it´s not how expensive something is, it´s how good it is, price is no quality, it´s a marketing instrument
9b. some love the dirt, some love it clean
10. i need no blind test in very obvious situations
11. skill is everything, but i can´t get some results without the gear behind it, there is some gear that got unique skills, like helios eq on guitars for me
12. great recordings are a result of everything done very good
13. some non-audio people can really say quick what lacks in a situation, cause they don´t think in so many details
14. tape is great for rock´n roll

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
2. otb summing is a myth

price is no quality, it´s a marketing instrument

Its just insulting that we analog guys are so ignorant that marketing campaigns dictate our choices. Its actually ignorant to assume so. How about mixing in ITB for years, then mixing OTB-WHY CANT WE TELL THE DIFFERENCE AGAIN, BUT YOU CAN'T!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
You have to be born in this generation to understand how empty and emotionless plug-ins are. You older guys are basing your plug in experience after using the greatest analog gear for years and years. If you had started out with only Sonar Prod as I did, you would have completely different perspective. I had a p.o.d. for my guitar rig starting out for years, now I have a pain stakingly collected Pedal board of the greatest vintage pedals. It sounds so much better it is insane. The reason old music still carrys its torch well (as opposed to old movies) is the emotion. Most people probably can't tell the difference between analog vs. digital, I guarantee you they can feel it. It inspires so much more emotion. Every expensive hi-fi speaker has 2nd and 3rd harmionic distortion to some degree, this is by far the most emotionally reactive sounds we have around. If you choose, as I do, to treat your daw as a tape machine- the basic conversion of analog altered gear is much more effective than the processor deciding what ones and zeros to give out. This is much more a represenation of real life. The reason tape is so valuable today is if you are summing 32 tracks at 192khz into digital the entire project goes straight back to 2 tracks at 192khz. If you sum onto tape you have preserved 32 tracks x 192 khz. This is 32 times the quality- then transfer back to digital the computer is representing that with real conversion equations not digital manipulation. Its much harder to hear what digital recordings lack today when you have been enjoying the quality of anlog for the past 30 years. If you grow up in a digital only environment then hear real analog, us younger guys can recognize the difference of emotion much better. Its like watching High Definition film of a lake your entire life, then going to the lake for the first time in real life- the qualities of real life hit you that much harder. You guys have been there done that , guess what- WE ARE JUST AS SMART AS YOU GUYS IF NOT SMARTER- its just experience you have on us. You can not speak for our perspective yearning for a higher quality of life that we recognize in the past. We dont spend thousands of dollars on outboard vintage gear because we are stupid or mistaken, we do it because in a crucial time in history where its dangerously close to a plastic existence where our future kids and their kids really dont have the taste of the past in their mouths, and lose what is so magical of yester years. ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE- Boss can not mass produce digital pedals in Taiwan for pennys and have them stand up to their Japanese anlaog pioneer line. No drum machine today can match the tr-808 and all these PCB Marshall amps can not even come close to my 1972 point to point wired Plexi. It is ALL crap today. You have the luxury of being in the good ol days and dont understand what is like to never have that. This is a war for EMOTION and sacred sounds. The more people try to convince the younger generation that being lazy and digital is OK, the more you do them a huge dis service. We will preserve this very special time in hisory and learn that Technology is a blessing and also a very big CURSE!!! These things are very important!!! With all do respect ofcousre!!!
unfortunately experience is EVERYTHING. Smartness is down to the individual - and I've met dumb and genius 20 years as often as I've met dumb and genius 60 years old. Experience only comes with time.

And your 1972 Marshall doesn't come close to a matamp etc etc etc .... it's all swings and roundabouts. PLUS - to take the other side of the coin - you can do a LOT with digital. Things you could NEVER do in analogue. The converse is also true.... coming down on one side of this old argument is - as I pointed out earlier - narrow of vision.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its just insulting that we analog guys are so ignorant that marketing campaigns dictate our choices. Its actually ignorant to assume so. How about mixing in ITB for years, then mixing OTB-WHY CANT WE TELL THE DIFFERENCE AGAIN, BUT YOU CAN'T!?!?!?!?!?!
1. otb mixing is something different than otb summing
i´m talking about a summing box only
the sound is not in the summing, it´s in the iron or whatever

2. i don´t want to offend any "analog guy", heh, i got so many "analog" stuff myself
i just mean that some companies sell gear a way to high if i look at the inside of a box, which i could rebulid for a 20th of it´s price...and there are no developing costs like in rocket science, most audio designs are standard electronic circuits
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
i´m 31 and don´t know everything about audio
i still find out new things every month and really love it
for me there´s no black or white in this old vs new discussion, every situation has it´s own case
i found out some things for me that are true in my small world, maybe it´s interesting:

1. analog eqs can do things that digital eqs can´t do
2. otb summing is a myth
3. great sounding rooms are very important
4. we can´t measure everything
5. it´s a shame how some new gear sounds, that carries a great name
6. it´s suprising how good some low budget modern gear sounds
7. AD converters show their strength when you record many tracks
8. V78 is beautiful, but also is SMP-2, there is no decade for great gear, it´s good or not
9. it´s not how expensive something is, it´s how good it is, price is no quality, it´s a marketing instrument
9b. some love the dirt, some love it clean
10. i need no blind test in very obvious situations
11. skill is everything, but i can´t get some results without the gear behind it, there is some gear that got unique skills, like helios eq on guitars for me
12. great recordings are a result of everything done very good
13. some non-audio people can really say quick what lacks in a situation, cause they don´t think in so many details
14. tape is great for rock´n roll

all good but 2 . 2 works because it enables a few "forgivings" - not because it imparts magic. Channelling stuff out to separate zones means paying just that little bit less attention to clipping the master out !! ie makes it easier.

Overall - it's not necessarily that Ethan is wrong - it's just that he's not right! There isn't a universal truth for preference is there? Ethans contention that a modern digital EQ is better than , say, a Pultec just doesnt mean anything. Better at what? Being a pultec? Imparting that cool distortion that just "works"? .... I am totally supportive of Ethan preferring a certain way of working. That's all great. What gets my back up is proclaiming it as "gospel". It just isn't, and it's just daft to say it..... Ethans a good chap , his products ARE really really good.... but he doesn't half say some daft things occasionally!!! I am of the conviction that if you cant measure it then it ISNT different. That doesn't mean the same thing as if I can produce SOME of a measured response then its the same... it clearly isnt. If it sounds different it IS different. Oh - and big boosts in many digital EQs DO give very obvious distortions!!

so....

I've a brilliant Weiss digital EQ i like. I've also got a nice Massenburg plugin I like. I also like my Massive Passive - and I really like the DW Fearn EQs. I also -having just used one - really like rebuilt Altec EQs!! They all do different things - there is no way on earth I could say that any one of them is better, universally, than any of the others. They do different things. To try and get ANY digital parametric to do what a Massive Passive does - you'd be wasting your time !!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
unfortunately experience is EVERYTHING. Smartness is down to the individual - and I've met dumb and genius 20 years as often as I've met dumb and genius 60 years old. Experience only comes with time.

And your 1972 Marshall doesn't come close to a matamp etc etc etc .... it's all swings and roundabouts. PLUS - to take the other side of the coin - you can do a LOT with digital. Things you could NEVER do in analogue. The converse is also true.... coming down on one side of this old argument is - as I pointed out earlier - narrow of vision.
Then why has'nt modern music come close to competeing with Bob Marley/Pink Floyd ETC. ETC. ETC. Why is Walmart and target filled with Zeppelin, Hendrix and floyd T-shirts Marketed to 16 yr olds that sell like crazy. Theres no Jon Mayer Racks over there!!! It just can't compete till those factors are re inserted in todays music.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
all good but 2 . 2 works because it enables a few "forgivings" - not because it imparts magic. Channelling stuff out to separate zones means paying just that little bit less attention to clipping the master out !! ie makes it easier.
thanks
i had a dangerous 2-bus, a d+r desk and a midas
when i took every track of a recording and send it out solo and rerecord through the console /summing unit and summed digital, it was not different for me than summing it all together otb
i get much better results when i run every track through a neve/ or api preamp and than put an api or neve at the 2 buss again
i think it´s in the iron
maybe some got other results, but for me the isolated "summing" process doesn´t bring any glory for me
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks
when i took every track of a recording and send it out solo and rerecord through the console /summing unit and summed digital, it was not different for me than summing it all together otb
i get much better results when i run every track through a neve/ or api preamp and than put an api or neve at the 2 buss again
i think it´s in the iron
maybe some got other results, but for me the isolated "summing" process doesn´t bring any glory for me
Probably very true, those old console probably sound better than PCB sum boxes. Its still way better than ITB. I have a neve 8816 which I use, I have done some tests in a old Fender huge live board that the sounds did bounce of each other better in some cases- but not all. Still, that only re-inforces my original point. I still love my 8816
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then why has'nt modern music come close to competeing with Bob Marley/Pink Floyd ETC. ETC. ETC. Why is Walmart and target filled with Zeppelin, Hendrix and floyd T-shirts Marketed to 16 yr olds that sell like crazy. Theres no Jon Mayer Racks over there!!! It just can't compete till those factors are re inserted in todays music.
I don't think the gear has much if anything to do with it...
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
They will never be cuz the world has changed. Nor do I want it to be like that agin!! .... things are just different in two specific ways..

1. commercially - there are many many more things to spend your money on nowadays. BUT , if you're savvy - you can make a killing in music still. The example you give is selling nostalgia - and that has fek all to do with music.

2 artistically - they have. I like Floyd, sure. But I like QOTSA more. Then again I like Coltrane even more..... taste has nothing to do with success. I love Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Green, Left Banke, Mahavishnu Orchestra, the Stooges, the Doors, Dirtbombs, .... heck I also like Beyonce and the odd Britney song - I mean how can anyone not like Toxic !! ......

Finally - there are many modern acts that have MASSIVELY out sold Marley etc over a given time period.... so by a metric of financial success your Beyonces, Eminems etc are more successful. On a table of personal taset - well only you can answer that. Nostalgia - for thats all the Walmart T-shirts mean - pointless. Thats' all about chic and nothing else. In the 70s we had rockabilly revivals so go figure that one!!
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
thanks
i think it´s in the iron
as I say - I think it's the speed thing. Running 16 stems out of PT (or whichever DAW) just gives you that bit of "headroom freedom" - in other words just a little less worry.... for me I think that stops you from holding things back all the time.... it's certainly how I often use my console in much work these days !!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
cuz the world has changed.

1. commercially - there are many many more things to spend your money on nowadays. BUT , if you're savvy - you can make a killing in music still. The example you give is selling nostalgia - and that has fek all to do with music.

2 artistically - they have. I like Floyd, sure. But I like QOTSA more. Then again I like Coltrane even more..... taste has nothing to do with success. I love Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Green, Left Banke, Mahavishnu Orchestra, the Stooges, the Doors, Dirtbombs, .... heck I also like Beyonce and the odd Britney song - I mean how can anyone not like Toxic !! ......

Finally - there are many modern acts that have MASSIVELY out sold Marley etc over a given time period.... so by a metric of financial success your Beyonces, Eminems etc are more successful. On a table of personal taset - well only you can answer that. Nostalgia - for thats all the Walmart T-shirts mean - pointless. Thats' all about chic and nothing else. In the 70s we had rockabilly revivals so go figure that one!!
I don't think it's really just nostalgia...when they've wrapped up the book on rock n roll, who do you think will they be writing about? The Yeah Yeah Yeahs?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably very true, those old console probably sound better than PCB sum boxes. Its still way better than ITB. I have a neve 8816 which I use, I have done some tests in a old Fender huge live board that the sounds did bounce of each other better in some cases- but not all. Still, that only re-inforces my original point. I still love my 8816
i mean i really doubt it it the summing, i more think it´s the neve transformer on the buss
i don´t want to be more than clever or whatever, but maybe you could try this:
take a 16 track project
rereocrd every track through the neve (same level off course)
sum digital
than sum all togehter with the neve
i´d really like to know how it sounds
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
cuz the world has changed.

According to history, generations Rebel against their parents generation. The fact that they are embracing it is just another example of how bad things are today. Out sell Marley, Please- tell that to Lauren Hill's Bentley Collection!!! 16 yr olds dont like nostalga , they like emotional experiences like GOOD music!!
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I don't think it's really just nostalgia...when they've wrapped up the book on rock n roll, who do you think will they be writing about? The Yeah Yeah Yeahs?
again - that IS nostalgia. I mean nobody writes books on Left Banke but they were an AWESOME band in the 60s... totally predated the Beatles in all that Sgt Peppers shenanigans.

What people like is one thing - what sells is not necessarily correlated. I mean - when they DO write this great tome (heh) we're gonna have AC/DC as great rock gods!! I mean c'mon - I was there.... they were the Darkness of their day!! Loved in nostalgia but very much NOT at the time.... we were all Sabbath and Zep
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
According to history, generations Rebel against their parents generation. The fact that they are embracing it is just another example of how bad things are today. Out sell Marley, Please- tell that to Lauren Hill's Bentley Collection!!! 16 yr olds dont like nostalga , they like emotional experiences like GOOD music!!
most 16 year olds couldnt tell you a Marley song if their life depended on it !! Nor would they recognise a good tune. Kids aint that discerning - it's about haircuts and peer groups. Not music...... c'mon - you MUST remember what it was like !! I'm 41 - when I was young I loved my dads music. Rock n Roll !

It's all about nostalgia...... how the fek do you think my company makes money? By pedalling PRECISELY what you're talking about !!

You can discuss music and you can discuss marketing- they aint the same thing !!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i mean i really doubt it it the summing, i more think it´s the neve transformer on the buss
i don´t want to be more than clever or whatever, but maybe you could try this:
take a 16 track project
rereocrd every track through the neve (same level off course)
sum digital
than sum all togehter with the neve
i´d really like to know how it sounds
Ill do it for you baby!!
Old 20th November 2009

same here.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
most 16 year olds couldnt tell you a Marley song if their life depended on it !! Nor would they recognise a good tune. Kids aint that discerning - it's about haircuts and peer groups. Not music...... c'mon - you MUST remember what it was like !!

It's all about nostalgia...... how the fek do you think my company makes money? By pedalling PRECISELY what you're talking about !!

You can discuss music and you can discuss marketing- they aint the same thing !!
Marketing has to be based on something, but you do make a good point. Cmon on the marley thing bro, every beginner guitar class learns redemption song first- then wish you were here- Not Boom Boom by Black eyed peas. You cant deny that classic rock is very trendy with a lot young white and latin kids!!
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
Marketing has to be based on something, but you do make a good point. Cmon on the marley thing bro, every beginner guitar class learns redemption song first- the wish you were here- Not Boom Boom by Black eyed peas. You cant deny that classic rock is very trendy with a lot young white kids!!
heh heh

for all the wrong reasons though eh? Marley was/is great....but 70million sales is less than Britney !! life eh?

right - gotta sleep. Big day t'morrow.....
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
as I say - I think it's the speed thing. Running 16 stems out of PT (or whichever DAW) just gives you that bit of "headroom freedom" - in other words just a little less worry.... for me I think that stops you from holding things back all the time.... it's certainly how I often use my console in much work these days !!
for me the main reason to keep it most times itb is that i got to work on some projects at the same time at the moment
i do many live recordings, every weekend maybe 4 bands and in the weeks i record bands, than i got to mix the stuff in the time between
i had no totall recall desk and i´m lazy, i didn´t want to write down so many sheets of mixer settings
i mean, i send out a finished song to the label/band and they say "oh, ok, the guitar needs a little more delay and reverb" or whatever, i would have to manually recall everything and i want to avoid it
so if i re-record the tracks through the preamps, i still got them in the session and i only have to write down the setting of the 2-bus preamp
Old 20th November 2009

totally - and that's actually the reason the console, or sometimes my summing unit, gets used.

1. just to make life a bit easier.
2. push the resistors a little -
3. recalls are nearly as quick.... yeah - recalls.... 90% of life init!!

g'night
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ill do it for you baby!!
great, thanks!
i really would like to know, specially because the neve got this recall
a friend did the same with aws900 and samplitude and it did nearly null in phase test
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
totally - and that's actually the reason the console, or sometimes my summing unit, gets used.

1. just to make life a bit easier.
2. push the resistors a little -
3. recalls are nearly as quick.... yeah - recalls.... 90% of life init!!

g'night
good night!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
heh heh

for all the wrong reasons though eh? Marley was/is great....but 70million sales is less than Britney !! life eh?

right - gotta sleep. Big day t'morrow.....
One last point then crashin too, Britney sales are based on singles, not complete historic greatist hits albums!! Napster also changed the numbers arguemnt!! 99 cents for songs that came out that day to your ipod is hard to compete with! Who has influenced society more?!?! I actually dig Britney very much!!! Good night you slutty bastards!!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRB View Post
The ability of a piece of gear to "truthfully" pass a signal indicates it's "performance".
No, the performance is dictated by how well it does whatever task you require it to. If your task is fidelity, then the cleanest gear will be best performing. However, if your objective is the smoothest signal known to man, the smoothest gear will provide the best performance.

Quote:
Performance:

The way in which a machine or other thing performs or functions: behavior, functioning, operation, reaction, working (often used in plural). See action/inaction, machine.

The manner or quality of carrying out an activity.

Fulfillment of a promise, contract, or other obligation.
How well gear carries out its designated functions (ie. performs) depends entirely on which functions you assign to it.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrother View Post
Exactly. But that is not the way people argue about it on here (and elsewhere) - they dont say "Mackie pres are just not the flavour I need, I prefer to use an API" , Its more along the lines of "How could anybody make music with that cheap spitty bitty crappy-sounding junk" , when, in reality plenty of cheap pres, are measurably, audibly, not junk at all. They are in fact just what you need if you want to record audio cleanly and at a high quality.
Fine, go ahead and do that and then wonder why your results sound smaller than life.

It ain't about the specs, it's about the mojo.

-R
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Where can one pick up this GREAT sounding album? Not that I don't believe you, but just saying it doesn't make it true.
Caldwell Shine on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Caldwell Shine

thumbsup
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Fine, go ahead and do that and then wonder why your results sound smaller than life.

It ain't about the specs, it's about the mojo.
I do thank you, and I am quite happy with my results, as I am well aware that anything in them that is lacking is my own damn fault, and not about some mystical, magical mojo that one finds in the simple device that amplfies the gain on the mic signal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search