The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hafler "Pro" vs "Transnova" series amps
Old 14th November 2009
Hafler "Pro" vs "Transnova" series amps

Alright, so this is somewhat of a follow up on my earlier posts regarding Bryston amps. I'm looking more towards Hafler amps right now and I'm looking for user experience and opinions on these two different lines.

While I have been able to get some reasonable information on the transnova series, finding opinions on the pro series as well as getting a comparison has been pretty difficult. All I know thus far is that quite a few studios use them, but I know nothing of how they actually sound, or if they are of good quality.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would look at Adcom before I would go with TransNova Haflers. I'm no fan of those at all. On the other hand . . I have a VERY old Hafler (late 70s I believe) that came in a kit where you did all the assembly that is cool. I use Brystons in the studio but also have a couple of large Adcoms. I also hear Jim William has some mods for the Adcoms that make them even better. So Brystons would be a first choice if I were you . . . used are fine. Otherwise check out Adcom for another option.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have some Transnovas here. One for the sub, one for the NS-10's. I have a Bryston 4B on the mains (that go with the sub). The Transnovas lack that "air" and "shimmer" in the high end.
Old 14th November 2009
I can pick up a perfect condition Hafler P3000 for $420 CDN including shipping, or an original Bryston 3b for $500 (or 2 3b's for $1000) locally.

Are you saying that the old, original, beat to hell 3b, with no balanced ins, 3U, etc, is a far better investment than a Perfect condition Hafler, with front mounted attenuators, power switch and meters, balanced ins etc? Are you saying the the haflers do not have good sound?

And I take it, I should just avoid the Hafler Pro 2400 and Pro 1200 then?

Sorry for the questions, but I really want to make a sound financial investment. I'd rather go through the trouble and stress of matching amps and passive's than go the active monitor route like so many others in my age and financial bracket.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky View Post
Are you saying that the old, original, beat to hell 3b, with no balanced ins, 3U, etc, is a far better investment than a Perfect condition Hafler, with front mounted attenuators, power switch and meters, balanced ins etc?
Yes
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Yes
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I use a P3000 on my monitors (Truth Audio TA-1P) and it's a great amp... that price is high, IMO (I paid much less from a GS member several years ago).

The Haflers are great... but Bryston is a different league. If you can swing it - I'd go with the Bryston.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Hafler P3000 and a pair of Bryston 2b LP Pro.

Both are nice amps. I prefer the Brystons, but there really isn't a lot of difference between them.

A Hafler P3000 is a very good amp. The Brystons are a bit better.
Old 14th November 2009
$420 shipping included is high for the P3000? Well then I'll keep a look out.

Bryston, bryston, bryston. I'm super stoked to have a look/listen to the 3b then. I don't know why I'm hesitating. I think I'm focusing on the age, and lack of features. Which is a silly reason to knock an amp if the sound is phenomenal.

I guess I would really prefer something more updated like the ST, but of course if I buy the 3b I can always sell it and upgrade. At least the Bryston will hold its value.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
$420 shipping included is high for the P3000? Well then I'll keep a look out.

Bryston, bryston, bryston. I'm super stoked to have a look/listen to the 3b then. I don't know why I'm hesitating. I think I'm focusing on the age, and lack of features. Which is a silly reason to knock an amp if the sound is phenomenal.

I guess I would really prefer something more updated like the ST, but of course if I buy the 3b I can always sell it and upgrade. At least the Bryston will hold its value.
I have Hafler TRM8s. I think they do a fine job. The tweeter could put a bit more out. So, I have the tweeters at ear level and the mixes work. I think the biggest lesson for me was getting used to working and comparing mixes on other sources (my car stereo for example) with them which took a little bit of time.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict
Ive been using a PRO 5000 ( not a Trans-Nova) for so long (14 years?) that I dont know how to compare it to anything else.
It may be that Im just used to it.
Although its not in the same class as Bryston, price wise, I do know that its fairly clean and has plenty of power to drive my near fields.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

are the transnova series that bad? :S
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

before id get anything ancient, id get an emotiva. they are stunningly good, and for little dosh output..

thumbsup

Emotiva Audio XPA-3 Three Channel Power Amplifier
Old 19th September 2010
LOL Teddy, how in the hell did you dig up my old amp thread? For the record, I ended up getting a hold of a pristine Bryston 3B.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL Teddy, how in the hell did you dig up my old amp thread? For the record, I ended up getting a hold of a pristine Bryston 3B.

it was the guy before me, i swear!

Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
before id get anything ancient, id get an emotiva. they are stunningly good, and for little dosh output..

thumbsup

Emotiva Audio XPA-3 Three Channel Power Amplifier
Hmm. Every once in a while I entertain the idea of a possible 'upgrade to my old Adcom GFA555 for these rather hungry SP Tech's (now Aether').
$600 for three channels of similar power at first glance seemed stupid low.
But reading on, some of the reviews, this could be interesting. (considering the XPA2.
Thank you for that link.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Hmm. Every once in a while I entertain the idea of a possible 'upgrade to my old Adcom GFA555 for these rather hungry SP Tech's (now Aether').
$600 for three channels of similar power at first glance seemed stupid low.
But reading on, some of the reviews, this could be interesting. (considering the XPA2.
Thank you for that link.
I stand by my reccomend. Great amps for stupid money.
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear

I've been using a Trans Nova 9505 for years, best amp I've ever owned and worth the $750 - $800 they're going for on the used market since Hafler folded.
Old 20th September 2010
Lives for gear
I have an original Hafler 500 from a kit, that sounds great, and also a TransNova, which also sounds very good. What you have to look out for with the Transnova's is that when they get older the surface mount electrolytic capacitors in the feedback loop of the opamps go bad and then they start losing bottom and gain. Replacing those makes them sound as good as new. I recommend them, but I agree that the price seemed too high for the P3000.
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have a hafler P5000 a bryston 3B, a phase linear 400 with larger filters and an
AUdio research.
The hafler comes in last place.
Bryston is stout and neutral perhaps a little cold.
The phase is awesome and super musical.
I would recommend the phase with filter cap upgrade.
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Oops didnt see how old this thread was....
Old 12th November 2012
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I have a hafler P5000 a bryston 3B, a phase linear 400 with larger filters and an
AUdio research.
The hafler comes in last place.
Bryston is stout and neutral perhaps a little cold.
The phase is awesome and super musical.
I would recommend the phase with filter cap upgrade.
Is that the 400 or 400 II. One of them caught on fire faster than the other . It is easy to see the Carver in the 400 II.
Old 12th November 2012
PDC
Lives for gear

The Trans Nova was trying to emulate a Class A Tube sound. Why not go for the real thing? I am not a big fan of mosfets from that era. I did sell a ton of Hafler though.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Its a phase 400.
I think the 700 was more famous for the flame.
Blasting your speakers with DC.
White oak audio has come up with a dc detection circuit
That can be added f or protection.
Old 9th December 2012
Nowadays I'm actually running:

Tannoy Precision 6Ds as my active, more mid forward reference & Bower & Wilkins DM1600s powered by.... wait for it.... A Denon DRA-635R. The bowers are gorgeous and translate really well, the Denon, sounds wonderul, smooth, clean and accurate. It's a $400 setup max and give me better results than most $2000 monitors I've used.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear
I've had a P500 running my NS10s for 20 years. People haver always commented on how good they sound.

Studio B has a 2400 on the NS10s with a Haflet powered sub....it also has worked great.
Old 10th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
I've been using a Trans Nova 9505 for years, best amp I've ever owned and worth the $750 - $800 they're going for on the used market since Hafler folded.

+1
Old 14th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Its a phase 400.
I think the 700 was more famous for the flame.
Blasting your speakers with DC.
White oak audio has come up with a dc detection circuit
That can be added f or protection.
Actually the DC protection circuit is quite simple and found on many amplifiers - it's called an SCR "crowbar". The original Peavey CS800 was a modified Phase 700B with a crowbar added. In fact the Peavey card can be added directly to the Phase Linear, as it simply bolts across the banana connectors on the output. As I recall it consists of about 4 components, the SCR, a resistor, a zener diode, and a capacitor.

Neither the 400 or 700 had any protection circuitry at all, in any version I'm aware of. The model numbers reflected changes to the input circuit of the amp more than anything else, with the earlier versions being discrete and the Series II having an op-amp front end. The lack of protection meant that if the amp blew an output transistor there was nothing to prevent it from dumping the full DC rail voltage across the speaker, resulting in the magic smoke and, on occasion, flame, hence the nickname "Flame Linear". They sure did sound good though. When I was with FM Productions we had several banks of them modified with different power supplies that boosted the rail voltage to 120VDC, resulting in about 500 W/8ohms output, unheard of in the late '70s and still pretty hefty for a Class AB amplifier even today.

The other thing about the Phase amps was that the lightweight consumer grade chassis construction required considerable modification/reinforcement/support so the weight of the power transformer in back wouldn't tear the mounting ear off the chassis, a problem we eventually solved by taking the transformers out of the chassis altogether and mounting them separately in the rack.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

RE Phase Linear....Up here in the NW where it all started we used to call them Flame Linears for good reason!
Old 18th May 2014
Here for the gear

Hey guys ...

I'm new here because I'm trying to find recommendations for amps.
Spending the last months with searching and studying specs for different amps so far, I'm found two brands which match my requirements (high damping & high slew rate).
One is Hafler and I read about a lot, also in this thread ...

The other brand is/was AB International. And I found almost nothing about them here (1 or 2 short replys).
Have anyone experiences how they work, comparing them to Hafler or other brands / amp series which have been mentioned here?

Unfortunately the Bryston was not in my financial range (saw a 3b in mint condition for more than 3000 Euro ...). :(

best

Padder

PS: I need 3 Amps for a full active monitoring!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear