The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Outboard gear for mix buss,
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Outboard gear for mix buss,

I did a bit of a search and the last topic about this was wayyy back in 2004.

Just wondering what you guys chuck on your mix buss. Just got me thinking the other day because i'm running out of power on my imac (yes i know, i should upgrade my computer, but i'd rather get some gear that will last and then get the computer when i ACTUALLY really need it) and i'm due for a bit of an upgrade hardware wise, if it gets some load off my computer then all the better. (Don't worry i intend to try before i buy, this is more of a discussion than a help me choose gear)

So what do you use? Does it change for different genres or just the settings you use.

I was looking around and i reckon a cool chain would be

UBK Fatso (with light or no compression)
4k Buss compressor (with light compression, but maybe just skip this step if the fatso is compressing)
Kush Audio Clariphonic Parallel Equalizer (love that name!)
Aphex 204 (aural exciter and big bottom)

Maybe replace the eq with a pultec or something as they seem to do a similar task (affecting highs and lows) but i have the IK plugin that i quite like anyway :P

So yeah, discuss.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

subscribin!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

SSL bus comp
GML eq

Job done!

Although that's mixing on an SSL desk usually.
You may want something a bit "warmer" on a DAW.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I somehow can't believe that noone uses anything on their mix buss.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

I have a DBX 566 tube comp that I usually end up using on the mix and I like it a lot!
I really wanna get a Fatso too.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

TK Audio BC1

TK Audio
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

i run most mixes through a vintech 473 as I mix. pretty colored box. nice color
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

The only thing i use regularly on my mixbuss is the Calrec RQD6400 twin stereo compressor/limiter. It's a VCA-based design, and it's great for mixbuss because it has excellent program-dependent attack and auto-recovery modes. You don't have to think too hard, just set the ratio low, say 1.5:1 to 2:1, and the threshold so that you see about 2 dB of GR or so on the meter and you have instant, subtle "glue" that is very close to the famous SSL glue. Possibly even better IMHO. Push it harder into gain reduction and it stays very transparent, just leveling off your dynamics without doing a whole lot of audible damage. It also has a separate limiter circuit after the compressor, which can be used to great effect for some seriously powerful "slam" on drums or other individual tracks. And since its two mono or stereo compressors in one box, it can do both at once! Or it can handle mixbuss compression during an overdub session and also be used in the recording chain. Totally rules.

Aside from that i dont use much other than the occasional EQ plug-in for some subtle shaping. I like the Sony Oxford EQ for this, or a Pultec if i want a little sauce with it.

I'm looking at getting a sweet stereo EQ such as the HM2EQ Hammer or a GML at some point in the future instead of software EQ.

But that's about it for me.

thumbsupthumbsup

Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

when im in the right studio its a vari-mu and an neve 8803

have also been known to run that into the line ins on a UA-2-610 for some extra warmth.

can also even run that into the line ins on the SSL alpha vhd.

ITB, the waves SSL comp and EQ are always nice, maybe an api 2500 and an L2 as well.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

2500 -> Clariphonic -> Studer.

Heaven.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th November 2009
two rat pedals.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

comee onn guyyssss
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

mxr dynacomps straight into my portastudio!!!!!!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

can't lose with api 2500 imho.
Like those GML eq's too.
Kush audio eq does seem really cool.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear