The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Re-wired the studio yesterday, what a day!
Old 13th November 2009
Re-wired the studio yesterday, what a day!

What a crazy day, the rack is so much better. Wanted to get my 500 rack up higher in the rack so I can see all the gear and replace a bunch of bad cables and patchbay points. It's so much cooler now, here's a little video from yesterday:
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man, that's great, James. Nice to have good help, too. Congrats.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Very cool James! The rack looks awesome now.

I love doing stuff like this. One thing i've noticed over the years is that it's always hardest to get the ball rolling. Not even because of lack of motivation, but (for me at least) because i have to stare at everything for hours on end deciding what should go where, what units need what type of cable, what units need to be close to other stuff, etc. I swear i go over it all in my head until im just literally beating a dead horse before i finally give the green light on unracking and unhooking anything.

Once that starts though, the fun begins. At my studio in Redford, MI we have a giant desk with the console in it, the racks of gear, patchbay, everything. And the only way in is via a small hole in the back that my assistant and i have dubbed the "manhole". It's pretty hilarious, all the manhole jokes that go down when we are working on rewiring/upgrading. Of course, i'm the only person out of my crew that is skinny enough to fit into the manhole so it's my dafault job to handle anything that has to happen inside there. So i get to sweat, stretch my arms around all crazy to reach stuff, and bump my head up in there while my assistant sits at the desk listening to jazz and soldering cables. What a life!

Anway, your setup is looking even better now, and it was already one of my favorite small studios on gearslutz...

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Very cool James! The rack looks awesome now.

I love doing stuff like this. One thing i've noticed over the years is that it's always hardest to get the ball rolling. Not even because of lack of motivation, but (for me at least) because i have to stare at everything for hours on end deciding what should go where, what units need what type of cable, what units need to be close to other stuff, etc. I swear i go over it all in my head until im just literally beating a dead horse before i finally give the green light on unracking and unhooking anything.

Once that starts though, the fun begins. At my studio in Redford, MI we have a giant desk with the console in it, the racks of gear, patchbay, everything. And the only way in is via a small hole in the back that my assistant and i have dubbed the "manhole". It's pretty hilarious, all the manhole jokes that go down when we are working on rewiring/upgrading. Of course, i'm the only person out of my crew that is skinny enough to fit into the manhole so it's my dafault job to handle anything that has to happen inside there. So i get to sweat, stretch my arms around all crazy to reach stuff, and bump my head up in there while my assistant sits at the desk listening to jazz and soldering cables. What a life!

Anway, your setup is looking even better now, and it was already one of my favorite small studios on gearslutz...

thumbsupthumbsup
Thanks man, I've been dying to this for a couple of years. It was fun working today with the new setup and look.

J
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Great video!

"Studio is done" I've said that too many times!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

good job
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
good job
Thanks man, yeah we checked the signal path. No level loss at all from snake and patchbay.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Thanks man, yeah we checked the signal path. No level loss at all from snake and patchbay.
goodie

I got to get back in there

I actually think you got a pretty darn nice room for mixing man
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
goodie

I got to get back in there

I actually think you got a pretty darn nice room for mixing man
Thanks man, it's pretty rockin'. We really went through all the patch points and cabling like 4 times to make sure everything was spot on, no bs. It be great to have you in. The Apogee's are going next weekend back to be fully serviced and have the one channel fixed, other then that I think we're golden.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Patch bay on the bottom? That typical for most?
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by close/far View Post
Patch bay on the bottom? That typical for most?
My logic (which could be wrong) is all those cables coming off the patchbay would make such a mess of that section if the bay was at the top. I like it at the bottom because I like the gear up. Plus the patch cables in the front would hang all over the front of whatever gear was below the bay. It works for me.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

My gear lust is about to expand beyond my one rack and into a second - which makes me think of all the times I moved things around (like when realizing those half meter patch leads I made last year won't reach anything now...)

Which brings me to my question:

What have you learned from doing these exercises?

Which units do you find yourself moving to the top, and which units live on the bottom?
Which units need an spacer to allow for cooling?
What length do you wish you made your patch leads to be future proof?
Do you keep some PatchBays completely normalled and the other De-Normalled (so as to avoid having to remove the PB and reverse the individual boards later)? Or just let it grow organically...?

Has anyone ever written the golden rules for planning and organizing Rack Bays?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

What happened with channel 11?
db25?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
My logic (which could be wrong)

heh heh heh

Mount the U47w into that rack.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean240 View Post
My gear lust is about to expand beyond my one rack and into a second - which makes me think of all the times I moved things around (like when realizing those half meter patch leads I made last year won't reach anything now...)

Which brings me to my question:

What have you learned from doing these exercises?

Which units do you find yourself moving to the top, and which units live on the bottom?
Which units need an spacer to allow for cooling?
What length do you wish you made your patch leads to be future proof?
Do you keep some PatchBays completely normalled and the other De-Normalled (so as to avoid having to remove the PB and reverse the individual boards later)? Or just let it grow organically...?

Has anyone ever written the golden rules for planning and organizing Rack Bays?
I think ultamitaly you have to make it perfect for you. My patchbay is excactly how I want it now. The pres are in order down the left side (neve's on top) with the 500 series rack up higher. The 1178 and CL1B are below with the CL1b at the bottom which is cool because the knobs and the VU are so big I can see it easily. I have bad eyesite and like to work in a somewhat darkened environment, so visibilty is a big thing. The 2 neve and api 500 series powersupplies is at the bottom of the rack out of the way and not near the units.

My guitar tuner at the top of the middle bay is perfect seeing how we are all guitar players and do mostly rock stuff. Lots-o guitar tuning goin' on. The SSL buss compressor below that and the all 3 black UA units, La3a's and 1176's, it just looks cool and we use them daily, it's nice to have them at the top middle. The patchbay is below that out of the way but in a very easy to use place from where we sit.

The right side of the rack is somewhat hard to get to so it's filled with; crossovers, convertors, Central Station, power conditioners.

That's pretty much it, it's been a lot of trial and error and going to other studios and realizing what I liked or didn't like about their setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
What happened with channel 11?
db25?
It's dead in the Apogee and going off next weekend while I'm working in Texas to be fixed.
Old 14th November 2009
Scrubbing toilets today, will post a video...
Old 14th November 2009
I've said many times I'm going to create a workout video based on rearranging your studio. It's the biggest workouts I've had in last decade I think. OK, now down on your bass traps and let's do some monitor presses. And lift and toe in and lower, lift and toe in and lower. Yeh, feel that woofer burn. Think about how tight your soundstage is going to be.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I've said many times I'm going to create a workout video based on rearranging your studio. It's the biggest workouts I've had in last decade I think. OK, now down on your bass traps and let's do some monitor presses. And lift and toe in and lower, lift and toe in and lower. Yeh, feel that woofer burn. Think about how tight your soundstage is going to be.
Sounds like a good idea.heh
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear