The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Onyx 1640i or Allen and Heath R-16
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Mackie Onyx 1640i or Allen and Heath R-16

These 2 boards have a lot in common. They are both being marketed to the same "level" of consumers , same Cirrus converters , firewire , both nice EQ , almost same price.

Does anyone with any experience with either of these ; or both , have an opinion they would like to share ? I'm looking to buy one of them -soon- as a mixer for playing occasional gigs , and still have the ability to use it to mix with in the studio along side recording gear I'm already using.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

well,... 63 people have looked (within a day of posting this ) , and no one yet on Gearslutz has any info regarding a true comparison of these two boards ?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Im in the same boat... some people made some assumtions, and a few say they have one of these, or compared them to a Studiolive or 01v96vcm but no clips uploaded to hear what they sound like. . . I have 2 threads going on basically the same thing. I just finished my studio here, after 9 mos, and i've been reading up on these mixer/interfaces the last 9mos. I'm looking to make a purchase soon, I'm also considering the Onyx 1640, Studiolive, AH ZR-16 , or possibly seperate converters and Pre's . . . good Luck. Hope ya get some replies !!!

Studiolive, ZED R16 n12 01V96VCM dm3200 Onyx 1620 Which?

Last edited by SubwayRocket; 17th November 2009 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: asdf
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Mackie fits in a normal rack (as does Studiolive) but it can fit in 12U (studiolive can't because cables poke out the butt). That's a plus for portability! They make those mixer flight racks for them.

I'm eager to see the ZR24 for something worth the extra space.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear