The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
motu 2408 mk3 - howto ADAT?
Old 13th November 2009
motu 2408 mk3 - howto ADAT?

I have a 2408mk3 and I'm trying to use adat lightpipe. My system is only picking up 4 channels of ADAT i/o on each bank instead of 8. Using only Bank A, for output I'm seeing 2 mono channels of ADAT 1-2 and two mono channels of ADAT 2-4 and that's it. (on input, 4 mono channels numbered 1-4). Meanwhile the system I'm trying to interface with - Kurzweil KSP 8 - sees each mono channel coming from the 2408 as a stereo channel so I can't get the two to work together and I can't get full 24 channels of ADAT io. Someone please help!
Old 13th November 2009
ps - what is up with motu support - never ending busy signal for hours and days... can't they put the call into a cue or something????
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

are you working at 96k?

if memory serves You'll lose 4 channels per adat optical unless it's 44 or 48..
Old 13th November 2009
OK - did more research and found out ADAT can only do 4 channels per line at 96Khz. Problem is, my DAW is at 96kHz but KSP8 runs at 48kHz - so KSP 8 is expecting 8 channels but Motu is kicking out 4. Each unit seems to be handling conversion fine, but Motu does not seem to be able to convert and send 8 channels of 48 through the ADAT bank...

Would I be able to make this work through TDIF instead?
Old 14th November 2009
just received a response from MOTU tech support that this isn't possible. guess I'll have to keep using ks8 through analog io ;(
Old 14th November 2009
This is what I've figured out...

The downsamples signal exits the MOTU on ADAT channels 1,3,5,7. I can route the channels to 4 RSP8 inputs - no problem so far.

But on output - I have to send ADAT back on same channels 1,3,5,7. However there doesn't seem to be a way to use those ADAT channels while also using Analog outs 1-4 with different material because ADAT 1-4 outs and Analog 1-4 outs mirror the same info. Below my message to Kurz tech support...

Is it possible to use analog outputs 1-4 at the same time as ADAT outs 1,3,5,7? The total would be 8 I/Os but while I can specify routing of specific analog or ADAT inputs, on the output section it seems like I cannot so I cannot send two different signals to Analog out #3 and ADAT out #3.

The reason I need to do this:

Within my DAW I am using 96kHz sample rate. My MOTU 2408 interface can convert down to 48kHz before outputing via ADAT, but it sends the signal via channels 1,3,5,7 (4 channels total). As I also need to use Analog channels 1-4 for full 8 channels it doesn't work if Analog and ADAT are sharing channels 1 & 3.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear