The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RNLA vs PBC6A vs Distressor
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

RNLA vs PBC6A vs Distressor

Which one of these is your favorite for tracking male vocals ( rock, loud but with quiet/detailed passages too) and for some mixing/tracking of other instruments? I know there's a big $$$ difference between the three but I'm wondering if I need to go as far as getting a compressor ( over 1K/channel) because I might as well just get a Fatso (or not??? I'm such a gearslut).

I basically have a Great River on the way and want to upgrade from my RNC /RNP combo - I thought it was a little too "cold" and lifeless for my taste.

I love these type of dilemmas
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

bump
Old 14th November 2009
distressor is in a different league. much better than those other 2 boxes imo
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun View Post
I think the PBC-6A hangs pretty good for its size, though I can dig it.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun View Post
I would agree that the Distressor is in a different league than the RNLA, but have you tried the PBC-6A? Side-by-side with a Distressor? I use them both all the time and there are MANY times I choose the PBC over the Distressor.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

I guess I'll give the PBC6A a try, and I might get a RNLA too on eBay and keep it if I like it. What makes me wonder is that if I sold all of them I would be really close to the price of a distressor... how much overlap is there between the RNLA and PBC6A, anyone?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Bang for buck it looks like the PBC6A is hard to beat compared to a distressor.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagozt View Post
I guess I'll give the PBC6A a try, and I might get a RNLA too on eBay and keep it if I like it. What makes me wonder is that if I sold all of them I would be really close to the price of a distressor... how much overlap is there between the RNLA and PBC6A, anyone?
The RNLA is the RNC with "chest hair"

The PBC-6A is another animal entirely.

No question that compressor is the best compressor FMR has built. I find it very versatile, and when you set the unit to gentile limiting [adjusting the DRIVE] and select good time constant settings, I would suggest you go into special mode and change the Side Chain Filters Center Frequency,[listening carefully to the way the compressor reacts] and see what happens to your tone. These are VASTLY MORE versatile than the little dynamos before it. As well, the audio output is clean and wide, with VERY LITTLE TONAL SHIFT, thus it doesn't impart loss, or a "special rainbow" on the outputs. Its a work box, filled with tools. The Compression cell can sound SQUASHED or gentile and rounded. It all depends on how you set the bastard. There are several ways to stereo link these boxes and things heat up quite a bit when you outfit the rack with the pair. Stereo PBC-6A's are still less dough than a single EL8.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Oh my god, here comes Roc again. I love and hate your posts, both for the same reason: they make me want to buy whatever it is NOW! I can only imagine what your pick up lines are when you decide to go talk to a girl at a bar or something like that...

BTW, I just bought the PBC-6A.

thanks everyone
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

What are a pair of PBC-6A's like on mix busses? Anyone tried them? Got me interested in these.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

I bought a PBC-6A about 4 months ago, and have used Distressors in the past. Basically they're different, but you won't be disappointed with either.

Part of the satisfaction of using the PBC is that it sounds amazing and is literally a steal at that price. It is very nice on male vocals, and similar to a distressor can make your lead vocal sound massive, just with a different but still very musical coloration.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRhodes View Post
I bought a PBC-6A about 4 months ago, and have used Distressors in the past. Basically they're different, but you won't be disappointed with either.

Part of the satisfaction of using the PBC is that it sounds amazing and is literally a steal at that price. It is very nice on male vocals, and similar to a distressor can make your lead vocal sound massive, just with a different but still very musical coloration.
Agreed - it is also great on bass.
Best value buy I think I ever made.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Agreed - it is also great on bass.
Best value buy I think I ever made.
Same here...
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

They are all GREAT units. I have owned them all. PBC-6A is prob my fave though.
Old 16th December 2011
Pickup Line 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagozt View Post
Oh my god, here comes Roc again. I love and hate your posts, both for the same reason: they make me want to buy whatever it is NOW! I can only imagine what your pick up lines are when you decide to go talk to a girl at a bar or something like that...

BTW, I just bought the PBC-6A.

thanks everyone
I had to ask, do you have any Australian in You? Would you like some?....or an RNLA perhaps? "Really nice Lay"..........
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear