The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rosetta questions
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Rosetta questions

Hey All,

I have some good analog gear; a GR mp-2nv, 2 AKG 414s, SM81, and a M57. I run this through a Duet into Logic 9. My room sounds pretty dry due to treatment. I mostly do close micing. I am have the opportunity to get a used Rosetta 200 with firewire card at a pretty good price, $1350. Presently, my needs are for a stereo recorder as I mostly track and use a lot of virtual instruments, Wavelore Pedal Steel, CH Bass, Toontrack, Etc. I am, however, a performing musician in various types of bands (Country, Folk, blues, etc.), and might be interested in recording these bands in the future.

My questions are:
1. Can I use the Rosetta 200 with a Rosetta 800 simultaneously should I decide to add a R800? Would I need a symphony card to do so? Can I daisy chain the FW cards to do so?

2. Is there a real sonic quality difference between the Duet and the Rosetta? I know this has been asked exhaustively but I figure I'll get some more opinions.

3. Would I be able to re-amp my recordings through my GR with a R-200? I tried doing this with the Duet's unbalanced analog outs into the GR's HiZ with no success. I got a strange phase shift and pops.

4. What other equipment besides a monitor do I need to run the Rosetta?

Basically I am trying to figure out if it would be worth it for me to upgrade.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes the rosetta's converters are better. I had a duet and now have the R200. You will notice an improvement IMO. It's worth the investment. I reamp through the R200 with no problem.

I've never used two rosetta's at the same time. I don't think that should be any problem. Just set one as the master clock and the other as the slave.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

What type of monitor would you reccomend. Something good under $500.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

There's many threads here on monitors. I'd do a search. I mix with Yamaha HS80-M monitors and am very happy with them. There's lots of other choices out there and I have not heard any of them, so I can't really say.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I meant to monitor the volume control for the Rosetta.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

on the cheap, i use sm pro audio m-patch 2. Works great, passive. Nothing passive better until you get to the avocet, coleman, dangerous price IMHO. The pre sonus central station is good too, but not passive.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post
I meant to monitor the volume control for the Rosetta.
Oh, sorry. I use the SM Pro Audio M Patch 2 also. It's a great piece of gear for only $150. Two stereo channels out, aux channel out, and headphone jack with separate volume control. Makes the work flow much smoother for me. All passive, so it really has little if any effect on the signal.
Old 15th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

If you get the Apogee symphony system then you can use the Rosetta 200 and other Apogee products (Rosetta 800, DA16x, AD16x) simultaneously to achieve 128 physical tracks per computer. Pretty rad system. I'm saving up.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
If you get the Apogee symphony system then you can use the Rosetta 200 and other Apogee products (Rosetta 800, DA16x, AD16x) simultaneously to achieve 128 physical tracks per computer. Pretty rad system. I'm saving up.
Sounds great but what do you do when you need 129 tracks?!

Well, I am now the owner of two Apogee tracks. Got the R200. Thanks to all for the advice. I'm slowly building up my studio and appreciate all the info that comes from ya'll slutz.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear