The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'd like to start manufacturing vinyl records
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'd like to start manufacturing vinyl records

I hope this is the right forum for this, it looked like a better option than any of the other ones.

But anyhow, I've noticed lately that damn near every band that I record wants to release their music on vinyl. CD's might be a dying technology, but vinyl is making a serious comeback. So I thought, why don't I invest in the equipment to actually manufacture the things myself? There is certainly a huge demand for it. The last band that I personally was in considered releasing a 7", and every company that we contacted told us that there was at least a month's waiting list. And that was if they got back to us at all.

Does anybody on here know where I should start looking for the equipment? Or even what the equipment is called? Basically, any advice would be very much appreciated. If anyone knows of a website that sells the equipment I'm looking for, that would be wonderful, or the name of a good book on the subject, or anything. Thanks!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Are you talking about duplicating large runs, or recording to vinyl? It's not really the cheapest thing to get in to. You are looking for a vinyl Lathe or cutter. Not that many lathes are manufactured anymore, but here is an example of one:

Vestax Corporation
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'm talking about duplicating medium to large runs. 1000-5000 discs at a time. And thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Oh and if anyone would have a (semi) complete list of the equipment required to manufacture records, it would really make my day. Or if you have info on the actual process, that would also be fantastic. I know that it won't be the cheapest thing to get into, but there's an incredible demand for the service, and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get bigger and bigger. My partner at my studio went to school for electronics repair, so we should be able to deal with the problems that would arise with old equipment. I've been scouring the internet for info on how to manufacture records, where to buy the equipment, etc, and I've been able to find very little so far.

Thanks for the reply though, and if anyone else can help me, thanks in advance.

-Sean
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

I think maybe you need to do some research. You don't need audio gear to make records....you need an industrial/chemical plant. Check out youtube for how vinyl masters/mothers/fathers/and records are made.
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

ok, thanks for the help. i wasn't sure what equipment was required, or if there was a smaller scall type of plant you could set up in a studio.
Old 13th November 2009
There are still places out there that'll do semi-short run vinyl cutting. Kinda like a discmakers deal. Not sure who, but I think I'll look for some too.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

record pressing

Check out United Record Pressing in Nashville TN.Alot of indie/punk bands still press records on vinyl.This is pretty much the place everyone i know uses.Just dont let them master it!They will do short runs if you want.Anything under 500 is kinda more expensive per record though.good luck.Cheers !
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hi:

We are the new record pressing plant in Cleveland. While it may not be cost effective to press less than 250 records at a time, we can do runs of less if you would like.

We have some info and videos on our website about the process-- feel free to take a look. I can tell you first hand, it is not the easiest operation to set up, but it is doable if you have determination (and business partners with deep pockets).

We do have an affiliate program for recording studios where you can earn a fee for the business to send to us. I would be happy to give you details if you want to drop me a line at [email protected]

Feel free to give me a shout with any questions!

Matt Earley
Gotta Groove Records
(800) 295-0171
Gotta Groove Records
Pressing High Quality 7" and 12" Records.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear