Else
2 Votes - 8.70%
Not a preamp
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Solo 610 or Blue Robbie or..?

My setup is : EMU 1820m,Rode K2-AKG 451.
I'm recording blues-rock,jazz-latin,acoustic and electric songs and I have the mics for acoustic-classical guitars and voice.
a)What do you suggest me for a preamp that suit me best?
b)Is this price range enough to achieve professional results or I have to pay more?
c)Do you suggest to buy something else to upgrade my setup,instead of the mic preamp?

Thanks
Old 13th November 2009
another preamp question... i'm sorry to say that you're probably gonna get a thousand different answers. but if it's any help at all the 610 seems to get a lot of love although i've never used it myself. the tubes seem to round of the edges so would probably work quite nicely for what you do. the 710 twinfinity pre is pretty good for this and people seem to prefer the 610, so you probably won't go wrong with it.

i have a daking mic pre one (my go-to pre) and that is clean but not boring-sounding, so it will probably do what you want it to do without any probs. it works with anything i throw at it: acoustic guitar, snare, other percussion, sax, 'cello, violin, etc.

hope this helps, sir!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

In that price range, I'd look at the Daking Mic Pre One. More headroom and more versatile IMO.

That said, I'm all about making sure the conversion is the best I can make it. That, of course, opens a huge can of worms, but it is a very, very important part of your chain. (More so than your pre)
Just something to consider!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

this is a subjective question however i love the 610!!!!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

For some reason the Blue robby is highly unpopular.
I they were to drop the price I bet they would accually sell some units.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

At Sweetwater, they are currently giving away Robbie pres with the purchase of certain Blue mics, like the cactus.

Blue Microphones Cactus | Sweetwater.com

Not sure what that says about the Robbie, but throwing in a $1000 preamp as a bonus kind of tells me they aren't moving them they way they'd like to be moving them.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I voted the the Robby. Its very clean but has a softer tube top-end roll off. It doens't add a lot of character but It doesn't need to if its recording a great source. I think people sometimes want character boxes when they want it to make up for something that's lacking in some way. Robby works well with bright to normal mics. Got a loud shrill singer and want to take off that edge? Use Robbie and a smooth mic like say a BabyBottle.

Robby is probably not that popular on here because of the strange shape and the fact that the buttons are in the rear?? If they had made it the size of an LA-3A or so and keep the price under a grand, they would sell tons more. Even with the quirky design I love for what it is. Clean & Smooth.

Daniel PS. Oh, and the B-Stock version is only $800 at FrontEndAudio while they last. Here's the link.

Blue Robbie Single-Channel Class A Discrete Tube Microphone and Instrument Preamplifier at FrontEndAudio.com
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Robbie is excellent.

DI is sweet for both bass, guitar, keys!

Mic pre is very clean tube -- like Avalon but with lower self-noise.

It is a bit of a pain to rack which is why I keep it right next to me on my desk

Being able to ride the fader is really really nice with such a nice knob right in front of you. It looks pretty and clients love it -- to me that is also important.

This is an excellent all-around preamp that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Plenty of gain.

B and H has a monster deal on the preamp -- definitely worth checking out.
Old 4th November 2011
currently i have both - the robbie and the 6176. i really dont know what sounds better because on my 610 part of 6176 i can tweek the knobs to get at least 3 different tones, while on the robbie there is none of those things. robbie is very clean and it feels like its super hard to overdrive it, which i like a lot. on the other hand 6176 is quite easy to push to the limit.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear