The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WEIRDEST Headphone Problem EVER
Old 13th November 2009
WEIRDEST Headphone Problem EVER

I just bought a pair of DT770 Pro 250s from a guy in the city. I SWEAR that when I listened to them with him they sounded great...and that was only from an iPhone of all things!! An iPhone driving a 250ohm set of cans and sounding good?!? Yes, I know! So I thought, great, I'll take them.

I got them home, and I kid you not, they actually ERASE the vocals from everything I put through them. They also sound wack in other ways, and they aren't playing in real stereo, even though its not real mono either, but the weirdest thing is how it erases all vocals. Of course the guy I bought them from won't return any calls or emails...can anyone even begin to explain this to me? Its bad enough being scammed...its worse not being able to figure out how its possible.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like a bad connection at the jack or a break in some of the wiring allowing signal to mix. I've had headphones in MP3 players do this. As I messed with the jack the sound would change. Sometimes it got phasey and would drop our certian parts.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
Sounds like a bad connection at the jack or a break in some of the wiring allowing signal to mix. I've had headphones in MP3 players do this. As I messed with the jack the sound would change. Sometimes it got phasey and would drop our certian parts.
Yea, as I was reading what you wrote I realized...if the signals mixed then they could phase each other out, especially any tracks that were the same in both sides (such as vocals). Man...you know if there is any hope in fixing something like that? How difficult is it to get a new cable for DT770s? Its not a detachable one, unfortunately. Why do any hi-end headphones NOT have detachable cables?? Ha.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I used to obtain this effect on purpose just pulling out the connector enough.

Try to push it all the way in. Or see if there is something in the female that prevents the jack from not going all the way in.
Old 13th November 2009
73*
Gear Nut

The only reason I can think of why the vocals would be getting "erased" would be due to listening to the Side signal (L-R, summed to mono). This would have to be a problem with the wiring (probably the cable) rather than the drivers. If the drivers were simply 180 degrees out of phase you'd still hear the vocals, just everything would have a strange "stereo" effect.

Is it just the vocals? What about the other center panned instruments (bass drum, bass, snare)?

Also how are you driving the headphones? Because I would bet the problem lays somewhere in the signal chain prior to the headphones.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
I used to obtain this effect on purpose just pulling out the connector enough.

Try to push it all the way in. Or see if there is something in the female that prevents the jack from not going all the way in.
I've tried maneuvering the jack and cable in every possible way...it doesn't create any change. Wherever the issue is its well set that way.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73* View Post
The only reason I can think of why the vocals would be getting "erased" would be due to listening to the Side signal (L-R, summed to mono). This would have to be a problem with the wiring (probably the cable) rather than the drivers. If the drivers were simply 180 degrees out of phase you'd still hear the vocals, just everything would have a strange "stereo" effect.

Is it just the vocals? What about the other center panned instruments (bass drum, bass, snare)?

Also how are you driving the headphones? Because I would bet the problem lays somewhere in the signal chain prior to the headphones.
Yes, everything in the mix is wacked out from seeming phase issues, not just the vocals, but they are the most obvious because they simply don't come in when you expect them to. The problem is not in the signal chain, the signal is fine with any other pair of headphones. I've driven the DT770s from my RME ADI-2, from my CD player, and from an iPod, and it is the same issue in each.

Anyone know how to replace the cable? I'm thinking that's my best bet at the moment. I agree its probably not the drivers. Maybe the cable was just smashed in something at some point and the wires are touching? Can't believe the jerk kid who sold me these...

thanks
Old 13th November 2009

I have seen this before. IIRC it is that the headphones have lost the ground connection and the L/R connections are "seeking" ground through the drivers. It is definitely a cable/wiring or connector issue.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
I have seen this before. IIRC it is that the headphones have lost the ground connection and the L/R connections are "seeking" ground through the drivers. It is definitely a cable/wiring or connector issue.
Interesting - how does it lose the ground connection? The ground cable just disconnected from the sleeve on one end?

Anyone know any way of salvaging these cans?

And HOW did that guy get them to sound fine from his iPhone? That just kills me. I can't imagine anyone could have an answer for that.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear
I MAY have had this problem before. Can't remember if the lead vocal was totally disappearing or not. But anyway, it was with a pair of earbuds and the 1/4" adapter I was using had busted the the T, R, and S were getting into various contact with eachother.

I would first see if Beyerdynamic would be willing to fix them (sometimes you'll be suprised). If not, then the next thing I'd try is replacing the plug. If that doesn't work, then go find that guy and beat him up.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I MAY have had this problem before. Can't remember if the lead vocal was totally disappearing or not. But anyway, it was with a pair of earbuds and the 1/4" adapter I was using had busted the the T, R, and S were getting into various contact with eachother.

I would first see if Beyerdynamic would be willing to fix them (sometimes you'll be suprised). If not, then the next thing I'd try is replacing the plug. If that doesn't work, then go find that guy and beat him up.
Ha, now that's a good answer. Who's with me?!? Eh...anyway. Yea I just sent Beyer an email, I guess it is a possibility. The problem definitely seems to the workmanship, a company worth its salt that makes $250 phones ought to at least look at them for shoddy workmanship. And yea I could start with the plug before replacing the whole cable...anyone know where I can take phones to have a new plug soldered onto them?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I have the exact same problem with the same headphones. It wasn't like that when I bought them new. I'd like to get them repaired myself. I'm wondering if anyone here has had them repaired?
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohol View Post
I have the exact same problem with the same headphones. It wasn't like that when I bought them new. I'd like to get them repaired myself. I'm wondering if anyone here has had them repaired?
Oh man, really? They were fine and then all of a sudden, boom, totally worthless? Do you have the newest model Alcohol? The one that only says "DT 770 Pro" on the side, not "Beyer Dynamic" like the older ones say?

Talk about a manufacturing glitch. Maybe Beyer really will fix these then...

How long have you had them?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
Oh man, really? They were fine and then all of a sudden, boom, totally worthless? Do you have the newest model Alcohol? The one that only says "DT 770 Pro" on the side, not "Beyer Dynamic" like the older ones say?

Talk about a manufacturing glitch. Maybe Beyer really will fix these then...

How long have you had them?
It's the older ones. They lasted about a year. I should give Beyer a call myself. I'd like to fix them myself but haven't looked into what's available to switch the connector.
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohol View Post
It's the older ones. They lasted about a year. I should give Beyer a call myself. I'd like to fix them myself but haven't looked into what's available to switch the connector.
I guess I feel slightly better then...these have a two year manufacturer warranty, I would assume the older version did as well...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Have you tried checking the playback on another (verified, working) set of cans? That would be the first thing i would do...
Old 14th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
Have you tried checking the playback on another (verified, working) set of cans? That would be the first thing i would do...
Um...yes...I think we've established a few times over that its not in the signal chain.
Old 14th November 2009

I really can't even guess what has happened to your phones, or where the break in the ground might be, but I did double check the issue using a pair of AKG 240 phones and when the ground is disconnected they exhibit the EXACT problem you are describing. If the Beyers are standard dynamic moving coil phones I would expect them to show the same problem with a faulty ground. I have owned dozens of 240 phones for many years and can practically take them apart in my sleep so I know all the places in them that connections can go bad. Sometimes you can verify that the problem is in the phones by manipulating the cups one at a time while listening, if you are lucky that can help determine where the break is. Most often you have to use a VOM to trace the ground from the jack all the way through the insides of the phones. In either case, this problem is usually inside the phones and disassembly is required. Maybe someone on this forum can guide you in taking that bad boy apart so you can trace the lines. Headphones get so much handling and twisting that they are prone to the internal connections breaking. A little Volt Ohm Meter is a great help in troubleshooting these kinds of problems. Best of luck.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

My bad, i didnt see that you had mentioned that halfway through post #7...

Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have the same problem with the DT 770 Pro from time to time and then I wiggle a little on the plug and it is gone.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear