The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UnNatural Perfection (and the end of rock)
Old 16th November 2009
  #121
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Somebody actually argued that "there's still enough nuance in autotuned beat detectived music to be great"
Sounded like "too many notes" too me.
That's who they are, they are the jerk that told mozart he had too many notes when there's no reason for using it.

beat detective doesn't deserve to even be in the same sentence as nuance..

oh wait, I just did it too.

dammit.
Old 16th November 2009
  #122
Lives for gear
 
FireMoon's Avatar
Funny thing is, for me, i find computers liberating in that. never use a click, most parts in rock music are repeated, if one comes in straight off i add a couple fo extra bars and then edit it out, or i sing the first verse over the second and just copy it back to the proper place..

Its worth remembering that. Some of the Beatles songs were , in effect, analogue cut and paste jobs, ie made up of several takes spliced together for the master, now that is becoming a lost art...
Old 16th November 2009
  #123
Is it still a sentence if the first word does not start with a capital letter? You could get off on a technicality...
Old 16th November 2009
  #124
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Is it still a sentence if the first word does not start with a capital letter? You could get off on a technicality...

Very funny.


And , as a person of principles, decided I would sacrifice proper sentence formation for not allowing beat detective the integrity of a capital letter.......it's candy jar days are numbered.
Old 16th November 2009
  #125
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Very funny.


And , as a person of principles, decided I would sacrifice proper sentence formation for not allowing beat detective the integrity of a capital letter.......it's candy jar days are numbered.
Old 16th November 2009
  #126
Beat Detective may be out the window, but Rhythm Sleuth cannot be too far behind...
Old 16th November 2009
  #127
Here for the gear
 

great, great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
I'm saying, in the real world, if you A/B what you say they love with energetic music from the 60's and 70's and some 80's sans autotune and beat detective, they will pick the old stuff everytime, especially if you don't try to sway the outcome. There coud be another test too, how long can you listen test, where the same parameters apply.
interesting, and you could be right, but OTOH everyone's an individual. My 13 y.o. son loves Simon and Garfunkel, some free jazz, some modern metal, video game music electronica and early 70s funk (War, Isaac Hayes, etc). My 11 y.o. daughter OTOH loves overprocessed modern dance pop. But in my son's case he's grown up discovering that music on itunes and youtube, so he's not exactly experiencing this music in a non-compressed, clean audio format; what's winning him is the arrangements, the writing, the layering, the feel. I wonder if somebody beat detectived and auto tuned the original tracks from 'Theme from Shaft' or 'Cisco Kid' if he would respond as well -- i doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Where people screw up is by sacrificing what's great in an effort to achieve nothing wrong. It's classic cowardly behavior.
that is one of the wisest things ive read in a long long time. It can be a difficult perspective to maintain, especially when youre the artist/engineer/editor all at once. I will print your post out and keep it handy as i edit the current project.

which, btw, has no grid snapping, no auto tune, no overdubs. Live to stereo drum set and fretless electric guitar (plenty of room for pitch problems). single xy in a 8x10 room (we did spend days with mic and gear placement). i'm editing in Adobe Audition, primarily for length, as some of the improvisations ran into 15 or 20 minutes. I may combine across takes, , but im trying to keep any 'mistake' edits as minimal as possible.
Old 16th November 2009
  #128
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

I love these threads.

So…

99% of the people here think today's music is made or created ALL wrong.

So my question is…

Whom does this forum serve?

Non-music making gear lovers?

Because if you guys "are" making music and therefore "music makers", then you must be filled with self hatred. No?

Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?

Or are you guys the 99% that don't get the gigs complaining about the 1% that do?

heh heh heh
Old 16th November 2009
  #129
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I love these threads.

So…

99% of the people here think today's music is made or created ALL wrong.
I don't think it's made wrong...

I think it sucks (mostly)...and I think rock as an art form is dead...but not because of perfection or unnaturalness...

but I don't think it's wrong! That's not really possible...(rock is supposed to be wrong, iddn it??)
Old 16th November 2009
  #130
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
The good stuff isn't given a chance, it doesn't receive attention because it's lost in a sea of mediocrity much larger than the one before it.
It gets no promo, no tour support, no hype, no nuttin, not because people don't like it. It isn't given a fair chance against the tide of shite and so it can't be determined that it "wouldn't", only that it couldn't due to it's invisibility. It can't be determined that a song that works charting is extinct as a process because those songs don't get airplay, because they are more expensive to develop those bands, songs, recordings, and promote them. Literally, today's music is the product of supply side cost cutting.
Nuttin else, only because that became more important than quality, and when microsoft finishes their auto-songwriter, auto-producer, and auto-engineer programs it will be even more shitty because they won't have to pay humans to make it.
And it's going to SUCK!
Or, things will become balanced, filters for talent will come about, development will happen and the balance will be restored. Or maybe a html or link based system of filtering stuff that is fraudulently created, not just piracy, but, crap production of talentless people being able to be filtered out of a search for new music.
I think that is possible right now.
Then people can pull up a search for what they want better than today and maybe even without advertisements.

But yeah, it's not appreciated BY THE MAN, The establishment, but the people appreciate it very much.


I think I'll place this post in my official top 5 of " Alltime Favorite GS Posts".

Thank you, as I could not have explained this obvious (though widely unacknowledged) TRUTH better myself !

Today's music is just like the shitty fast food that people eat everyday. Some would say "Hey man, that's what the people like so that's what they are eating", when the TRUTH is that the shitty food is all that is being offered to them and they don't know of any other alternatives.

Dean Roddey thinks that by surfing around on youtube he can get a realistic glimpse into the minds of teenagers of "today's generation" and discern what they like and dislike. I'm sure that you could find ALOT of youtube videos of teenagers eating McDonalds and Wendys and talking about how that's their favorite food. All that really proves is that they are living in such a box with so few choices that they "think" this is what they like, but only because they have never tasted prashadam or sushi !!!

I feel sad for the teenagers today more than anything. The "supply side" mentality of the corpotocracy culture has really robbed them of a meaningful childhood
Old 16th November 2009
  #131
Gear Maniac
 
Harry Hughes's Avatar
 

For me, music either emotes to me or it doesn't, and that has nothing to do with how perfectly edited it is or not.
A lot of my favorite music is very precise (to be fair owing a lot to very tight musicians), such as the extreme metal bands I like, and without a lot of that precision it wouldn't have the same effect.
A lot of modern metal fans that are also into audio engineering know that the rhythm section has to be robotically tight in order to sound truly heavy and have that "chunk", and if it means quantizing drums to get there, so be it.

If a recording hides a lack of talent, it will eventually show up in live performances anyway and they get weeded out, so I'm not really concerned.
Old 16th November 2009
  #132
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Because if you guys "are" making music and therefore "music makers", then you must be filled with self hatred. No?

Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?

Or are you guys the 99% that don't get the gigs complaining about the 1% that do?

heh heh heh
No self hatred here.

Its only silly if the food leaving your kitchen has the same problems that you cannot stand. Which admittedly is tricky to avoid if you make a living off it. Not too often do you then get great raw ingredients to cook with or necessarily agree with the client's recipe.

But no, I'm not complaining for not getting any of those gigs, as those gigs made me feel very wrong after a few years and I don't do it for a living anymore. And neither am I desperate enough these days to "be part of the professional music business, man" to go against the statement at the bottom of my sig. Sadly it seems, many reckon its a cool way to be, to polish people's turds for a living and persuade themselves this is why they got into this business in the first place. I think not, really, do you?
Old 16th November 2009
  #133
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I love these threads.

So…

99% of the people here think today's music is made or created ALL wrong.

So my question is…

Whom does this forum serve?

Non-music making gear lovers?

Because if you guys "are" making music and therefore "music makers", then you must be filled with self hatred. No?

Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?

Or are you guys the 99% that don't get the gigs complaining about the 1% that do?

heh heh heh
you nailed it Kenny. You absolutely nailed it
Old 16th November 2009
  #134
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Yeah, I said the business will never die...the art form, or whatever you want to call it...dead as a door nail...
really disagree with tat too. I get CDs and links sent to me all the ime from great artists with something new to say. Rock - and any music - as an ARTFORM is only just beginning..... I'm already seeing the wheat separating from the chaf - some great music with a true artistic message.... It's been about money for 40 years
Old 16th November 2009
  #135
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I love these threads.

So…

99% of the people here think today's music is made or created ALL wrong.

So my question is…

Whom does this forum serve?

Non-music making gear lovers?

Because if you guys "are" making music and therefore "music makers", then you must be filled with self hatred. No?

Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?

Or are you guys the 99% that don't get the gigs complaining about the 1% that do?

heh heh heh
Btw, wasn't there a long winded thread here not long ago about how all home recorders are "doing it wrong"?

Hmmm....
Old 16th November 2009
  #136
Gear Addict
 
rhythmic5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
never fear. This is a very healthy underground rock scene in stoner and garage.... all true to form. rock is a long way from dead - it just may not be mainstream anymore...... and who wants to be mainstream.No money!!
would anyone maintain a notion that rock is perhaps heading a similar direction that jazz did after dixieland died in the 30s - 40s, going underground and resigning as a staple in mainstream music?
Old 16th November 2009
  #137
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
really disagree with tat too. I get CDs and links sent to me all the ime from great artists with something new to say. Rock - and any music - as an ARTFORM is only just beginning..... I'm already seeing the wheat separating from the chaf - some great music with a true artistic message.... It's been about money for 40 years
Cool. Looking forward to the new frontier...hope it's commercial so everyone doesn't have to say "it's out there, you just got to look for it"...also hope it's nothing like Nirvana...
Old 16th November 2009
  #138
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I love these threads.

So…

99% of the people here think today's music is made or created ALL wrong.
No, we think it is cheaply done and it shows. We don't go for the supply side hype that the kids like it better, there were no kids polled whether they like this cheap stuff better before this stuff came about, industry buttheads decided they wanted rock budgets to match rap budgets in the 80's and they got their wish, though, none of the rock produced sounds like it has any "street cred" it sounds like even more cheap more bubble gummy, syruppy sweet, & overtweaked CORPORATE BS. Because that's exactly what it is, maybe you like making stuff because it's cheap, maybe you go in for "new ethos", maybe you have round heels and fall on your back for anyone, I don't know, and I don't care why anyone supports cheapness in production and supporting shite processes that produce turdy music, but I don't. The only reason I'm not working in rock now is because I saw this coming and said my piece about it. It wasn't well received.
Quote:
So my question is…
Whom does this forum serve?
Non-music making gear lovers?
Ha ha, gear lovers for sure.
Quote:
Because if you guys "are" making music and therefore "music makers", then you must be filled with self hatred. No?
Not if we aren't participating in this part of the business. Integrity.
Quote:
Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?
Been a chef, that's exactly what happens and it is silly, but, if you don't know the difference between shit and shinola, you'll accidentally make both and have no continuity of quality and thus YOU will be depended on to make the shite stuff. There are a ton of chefs using canola oil, it tastes like bitter ass, but, they use it. Purveyors push the stuff because if everyone orders it, like it or not, they get a bigger bulk discount and a kickback.
Quote:
Or are you guys the 99% that don't get the gigs complaining about the 1% that do?

heh heh heh
If started looking for gigs, willing to do what you do & work with what processes you use, you can bet I'd get them I can get the right now if I'd just do that.
But I won't. I'm done with that years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
I think I'll place this post in my official top 5 of " Alltime Favorite GS Posts".
Thanks.
Quote:
Thank you, as I could not have explained this obvious (though widely unacknowledged) TRUTH better myself !

Today's music is just like the shitty fast food that people eat everyday. Some would say "Hey man, that's what the people like so that's what they are eating", when the TRUTH is that the shitty food is all that is being offered to them and they don't know of any other alternatives.

Dean Roddey thinks that by surfing around on youtube he can get a realistic glimpse into the minds of teenagers of "today's generation" and discern what they like and dislike. I'm sure that you could find ALOT of youtube videos of teenagers eating McDonalds and Wendys and talking about how that's their favorite food. All that really proves is that they are living in such a box with so few choices that they "think" this is what they like, but only because they have never tasted prashadam or sushi !!!

I feel sad for the teenagers today more than anything. The "supply side" mentality of the corpotocracy culture has really robbed them of a meaningful childhood
Correct, the only way to know what kids like is to survey them in person really and you'd have to couple that with observation, evaluation, and switch up the input, retest, make sure they get exposed to the same degree to both types of music (cheap pop and better done stuff without overtweaking).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
For me, music either emotes to me or it doesn't, and that has nothing to do with how perfectly edited it is or not.
A lot of modern metal fans that are also into audio engineering know that the rhythm section has to be robotically tight in order to sound truly heavy and have that "chunk", and if it means quantizing drums to get there, so be it.
If a recording hides a lack of talent, it will eventually show up in live performances anyway and they get weeded out, so I'm not really concerned.
Maybe there really is only one Neill Peart? One Vinnie Callaiuta, one dave WecklOne Steve Smith(my fave)?
It does show and that devalues that side of the biz as well, people can't trust that when they go to a show that it will sound good because the band can't actually play.
It's happened plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
No self hatred here.

Its only silly if the food leaving your kitchen has the same problems that you cannot stand. Which admittedly is tricky to avoid if you make a living off it. Not too often do you then get great raw ingredients to cook with or necessarily agree with the client's recipe.
Or the purveyors wish for a kickback.
Chefs make their own recipes, they rarely use anyone else's. Crappy chefs with a lack of ethics use anything and I don't call them chefs. Admittedly, my standards for cooking are as high as they can be though, trained by swiss chefs. Same with engineering, except I was trained by engineers, not chefs.
Quote:
But no, I'm not complaining for not getting any of those gigs, as those gigs made me feel very wrong after a few years and I don't do it for a living anymore. And neither am I desperate enough these days to "be part of the professional music business, man" to go against the statement at the bottom of my sig. Sadly it seems, many reckon its a cool way to be, to polish people's turds for a living and persuade themselves this is why they got into this business in the first place. I think not, really, do you?
Could not have said that any better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
you nailed it Kenny. You absolutely nailed it
Yeah, but, why we are out isn't because of what you say. We do not serve the "Prince John" of the industry. People have stopped asking why when it would be appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
really disagree with tat too. I get CDs and links sent to me all the ime from great artists with something new to say. Rock - and any music - as an ARTFORM is only just beginning..... I'm already seeing the wheat separating from the chaf - some great music with a true artistic message.... It's been about money for 40 years
Please turn us on to some of THAT jam. I wanna sit and listen to a record that turns me on, I want to be moved by music, not pacified, not ripped off for content substituted for production value,( the first audible clue of shittiness, used to be screened out) I want to be able to listen to a whole album and be transformed, I don't want to be irritated by what the compression level is or the loudness factor.
You know, the loudness factor started with people compressing their tapes to fool people into thinking their stuff "sounds just like the radio", then it became a competitive measure during testing.
What a bunch of BS to use a practice that ruins the music, but, if it's shite music anyway, it only matters to the degree that "we would be producing undeveloped acts that shouldn't see the light of day" and turning out an inferior product on the public and NOT EVER producing anything good for them.
Are there good songs being produced, even by some of these sheisters? Yes there are, and they are being ruined in the process too.
It's a slippery slope once you start doing that, it's painted with lies, cheapness, policies, nepotism, spin, spin, and more spin to cover a lack of ethics of any kind, a weirdness that is in no way good, denials galore, and politics to keep out the good and keep this in place, BUT, FOR WHO?
WHY?

I think there is a place for this type of stuff but it isn't the be-all-end-all of music because it is tweaked to perfection, it still sucks, but, lots of stuff does, it has it's place, 37,000 of them at once? NO. Should it be blotting out all quality, should it be eclipsing well done stuff by force of promo, should we live in a world of nothing but the bloody Bay City Rollers?
No, it didn't happen, and for damn good reason.
Old 16th November 2009
  #139
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

The point of my post was to say…

WHO BETTER TO CHANGE IT THAN US????

We are the music makers. If making music the right way is actually "better" than the audience must surely know it and hear it in the result. I mean, AC/DC's Back in Black still outsells most new records every year.

If we our the chefs, we must simply make better food. Not just complain about McDonalds.
Old 16th November 2009
  #140
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The point of my post was to say…

WHO BETTER TO CHANGE IT THAN US????

We are the music makers. If making music the right way is actually "better" than the audience must surely know it and hear it in the result. I mean, AC/DC's Back in Black still outsells most new records every year.

If we our the chefs, we must simply make better food. Not just complain about McDonalds.
Now you're talking! And good example too! Cooking at present with this exact premise in mind heh
Old 16th November 2009
  #141
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The point of my post was to say…

WHO BETTER TO CHANGE IT THAN US????

We are the music makers. If making music the right way is actually "better" than the audience must surely know it and hear it in the result. I mean, AC/DC's Back in Black still outsells most new records every year.

If we our the chefs, we must simply make better food. Not just complain about McDonalds.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000
Man I wholeheartedly 100+% agree.
Old 16th November 2009
  #142
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
...Imagine a forum where all the chefs of the world hung out and complained about how food was made. Seems a bit silly. Doesn't it?
I've actually heard a bunch of five star chefs (friends of my wife's cousin) complain for hours about McDonald's!

The underlying issue is why isn't better food than McDonald's a lot more successful in the mainstream?

How can we who make music for our living fix this?

Why are MIDI composers who wrote a few hits and became producers so insecure about not seeing everything lining up on a grid?

When did looking right on a computer screen become more important than what it feels like to sing along with the lead vocal?

Might this not have a lot to do with sagging overall record sales? Piracy makes a great excuse but the percentage of major label new releases selling more than 800 units was the lowest it had been in decades during the '90s.
Old 16th November 2009
  #143
Shy
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've actually heard a bunch of five star chefs (friends of my wife's cousin) complain for hours about McDonald's!

The underlying issue is why isn't better food than McDonald's a lot more successful in the mainstream?
Isn't it obvious? It almost always takes much more time to make meat based food that is better.
Old 16th November 2009
  #144
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The point of my post was to say…

WHO BETTER TO CHANGE IT THAN US????...
Exactly! Music needs to get a lot better in order to force its way past the bean counters because of popular demand driven by word of mouth.

How many people remember the utter sound-alike crap that dominated the airwaves right before the Beatles? Motown had a huge opportunity and started outselling the majors from a songwriter's home studio in Detroit. And he couldn't possibly afford payola!
Old 16th November 2009
  #145
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob olhsson View Post
exactly! Music needs to get a lot better in order to force its way past the bean counters because of popular demand driven by word of mouth.

How many people remember the utter sound-alike crap that dominated the airwaves right before the beatles? Motown had a huge opportunity and started outselling the majors from a songwriter's home studio in detroit. And he couldn't possibly afford payola!
effing dave clark 5!!!
Old 16th November 2009
  #146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've actually heard a bunch of five star chefs (friends of my wife's cousin) complain for hours about McDonald's!

The underlying issue is why isn't better food than McDonald's a lot more successful in the mainstream?

How can we who make music for our living fix this?

Why are MIDI composers who wrote a few hits and became producers so insecure about not seeing everything lining up on a grid?

When did looking right on a computer screen become more important than what it feels like to sing along with the lead vocal?

Might this not have a lot to do with sagging overall record sales? Piracy makes a great excuse but the percentage of major label new releases selling more than 800 units was the lowest it had been in decades during the '90s.
I see this as an outgrowth of the whole how to tutelage oriented to driving bullet point lists of presumed how to be a hit in the music biz best practices into musicians' heads -- a phenom that I started noticing in the early 80s, coincident with the early days of affordable home multi-tracking and the explosion of books and marginally academic courses that seemed to encourage and accelerate a process of homogenization and productizing that leads, at least in part, to where we stand today.
Old 16th November 2009
  #147
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
+10000000000000000000000000000000000
Man I wholeheartedly 100+% agree.
me too!
Old 16th November 2009
  #148
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The point of my post was to say…

WHO BETTER TO CHANGE IT THAN US????

We are the music makers. If making music the right way is actually "better" than the audience must surely know it and hear it in the result. I mean, AC/DC's Back in Black still outsells most new records every year.

If we our the chefs, we must simply make better food. Not just complain about McDonalds.


That's where it's at for sure!

But there are plenty of people who are and have been doing just that from the beginning, they just don't have ........um I wouldn't know, the right manager or the right labels support?..... or whatever it takes to get as much airplay as say, Coldplay . Sorta like they're not in the right loop to get they're stuff in the mainstreams ears. It's not a lack of folks cooking original recipe's that make the body feel good, it's the support system to get them out there in the public's ear. There's plenty of fantastic music out there that only music searchers will ever hear.

I remember hearing the Fleetfoxes and Grizzly Bear or Bon Iver thinking, "Man, if this stuff hit the radio all at once, throw in the Ladybug Transistor and a couple others, this could change people's tastes/influences in a week." Really. Those albulms are soft and friendly to listen to, after the shock of folks hearing music AGAIN for the first time .... lol... their taste would start to change, for the better. Does Wilco even get airplay?
Old 16th November 2009
  #149
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Right, that's it. The best example I have come across of sweet new tunes for years is this man here:

j o n o m c c l e e r y

I have put him across separately to some slutz in pm's over time, but whether appropriate or not in this thread or at all, I can't help but point all you lot towards him, as he brings me consistent joy and hope for new music and might do the same for you. And no, I have no association with him or any earnings attached. Just love the tunes in a big way!!!!

Hope you enjoy

P.S. To me the production values of this tonally and such are perhaps a little less than fully realised if you want to be like that, however since the tunes are so strong I personally couldn't care less, as it doesn't interfere with the tunes getting into my guts.
Old 16th November 2009
  #150
Lives for gear
 
Outlaw Hans's Avatar
 

There's two arguments among people in the music biz: On one hand there's "people don't care" and on the other there's "it has to be perfect pitch/timing". I still don't understand how someone can advocate both.

The obsession with pitch and grid is just people parroting each other. Pitch correction really isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway. Any piano tuner can tell you that you can't tune a piano with only a digital tuner to go by. The tones wouldn't fit. there's a sweet spot somewhere that works with the rest of the notes.
Autotune just sounds ridiculous. You can hear the human imperfection of someone trying to reach a note that clearly isn't within his comfortable range. It sounds shaky, human...but at the same time it's perfect pitch??? It's silly.
What's "on the grid" anyway? Depending on the tempo there's a certain timespan in whitch a drum hit can be played. It can be early, in the middle or late or anything in between as long as it's consistent and within that (admittedly) short timespan. That's where a drummer gets his feel from. Copeland is an early bird, Ronnie Tutt likes to sleep late. But they are both "tight" drummers. I prefer laid back drummers, but it's all good.
The same goes for the loudness war. Ridiculous. It's not loud at all. It doesn't sound loud to me. To me "loud" is having the snare really hit you in the face on the 3rd. With todays mastering nothing' s loud because nothing's soft. Might as well be "the softness war". There's no reference as to what's loud or otherwise. People listen to music at a personally preferred level. When something is too loud they turn it down anyway. It's not as if todays music somehow cought them by surpise, blowing their speaker while doing the dishes.
Ever noticed how the "rock" songs of today have chorusses that sound softer than verses? Softer parts have at least some room to breath, the louder parts are fully squashed, so they are percieved as soft. It's a ridiculous way of listening to music.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear