The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UnNatural Perfection (and the end of rock)
Old 4th December 2009
  #391
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
What do you have against Paul Rodgers?
James Dewar?heh
Old 4th December 2009
  #392
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumpsych View Post
i love Danzig's production style. it's an ideal rock sound on a lot of different levels.

Yep, it works.
Old 4th December 2009
  #393
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Surely *someone* can cop a good Steven Tyler?


Yea, but that's exactly what they DON't need to do. Again, being a cover band of your OWN band is embarrasing. They should move on and have the new singer sing the old songs in his style and write new material unlike their previous efforts. Hell, the new guy might be better/or equally different than Tyler. ....????? why do I care? lol..

I miss Steve Perry, I think Journey is a badass band. Yea, they found that guy on youtube! What a voice! Good for him, I saw the interview around the time it happened. Really a dream come trune for that guy. Coolness.

Anyway, ......oh yea, I care because... DANZIG! What a band that would be! Re-invent the wheel?
Old 4th December 2009
  #394
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I hear ya.. I think just the idea of a band calling themselves the same name with a different lead vocalist is kind of absurd... Like the new Alice in Chains... i have a friend who says its good, but i just cant really picture liking the band without Layne Stailey ( im pretty sure i spelled that wrong.... ). Thus, i havent listened to it...

Yea, I understand what you mean. You Just NEVER know though. Layne was an incredible talent, great voice and performer. Maybe this new guy will bring something different, add something new rather than try and sound like his predecessor. AIC is a great band.
Old 4th December 2009
  #395
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I hear ya.. I think just the idea of a band calling themselves the same name with a different lead vocalist is kind of absurd... Like the new Alice in Chains... i have a friend who says its good, but i just cant really picture liking the band without Layne Stailey ( im pretty sure i spelled that wrong.... ). Thus, i havent listened to it...
Considering Cantrell does a lot of the singing and the band was moving in that direction before Staley died anyway, it's actually not that much of a bummer. What I like about the record most, and relevant to the topic of this thread, is that the production is pretty true to their sound in the 90's. It's dark (musically AND sonically) and doesn't sound like a bunch of sound replacement and whatnot. Overall, I agree with this point - even if it means the new "sound" is not as appealing to you as the original vocalist (for me, this would be Van Halen).
Old 6th December 2009
  #396
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Again, being a cover band of your OWN band is embarrasing.

...

I miss Steve Perry, I think Journey is a badass band. Yea, they found that guy on youtube! What a voice!

I was invited to see Journey in Atlantic City because the soundman (James McCullagh, awesome guy!) is a big fan of the UBK Fatso and runs the whole drum sub thru one.

Honestly, the guys in Journey didn't seem the least bit embarassed by being on stage with Arnel belting out their tunes. I think they all contributed a lot to the creation of that music, they all are major factors in being a huge cultural phenomenon, and it must have completely sucked to have all of that taken away because the one guy who could sing those songs didn't want to be a part of it anymore.

So they finally found a worthy substitute, and now they tour, they're in their element doing what they love, and if you closed your eyes you would never know it was someone else singing those songs.

And the fans, that's the real payoff here. I saw people in tears, people dancing in the aisles and throwing fists in the air to the anthems and putting their arms around each other and swaying to the ballads, couples kissing and holding hands and singing all those choruses at the top of their lungs.

How can that be wrong, why should anyone be embarassed about bringing those kinds of energies, experiences, and memories into the world?

If Aerosmith can find someone who really pulls off the Steven Tyler thing, it would be a crying shame to not put him on stages around the world. Regardless of how I feel about their music, what they do and what they give to their fans is a gift, I wish them the best of luck in getting it together and putting it out there.

I reckon that's my hippie rant for the day.


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 6th December 2009
  #397
Lives for gear
 

^ Foreigner is doing the same thing...their newer lead singer is pretty damned good too...not quite Lou Graham like but the guy is an excellent rock singer and added his own-thing to their sound, and it actually worked pretty well...caught them live on VH1 a couple weeks ago.
Old 6th December 2009
  #398
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
And the fans, that's the real payoff here. I saw people in tears, people dancing in the aisles and throwing fists in the air to the anthems and putting their arms around each other and swaying to the ballads, couples kissing and holding hands and singing all those choruses at the top of their lungs.
Well if you're gonna put it that way, that's WICKED. I hear that for sure.
That's what I mean, a dream come true for this guy, that's a story of passion and love and dreams and happiness.......so it's excluded from my example of just bad decession making in a musical aesthetic.

I love Journey. The guitar melody for Send her my love knocks me out, this is music for my generation, I'm an 80's kid.
Old 6th December 2009
  #399
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Don't forget, Steve Perry was NOT the first lead singer for Journey. I remember the tour where he got the job and the tour before. He was a roady.
Old 6th December 2009
  #400
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I was invited to see Journey in Atlantic City because the soundman (James McCullagh, awesome guy!) is a big fan of the UBK Fatso and runs the whole drum sub thru one.

Honestly, the guys in Journey didn't seem the least bit embarassed by being on stage with Arnel belting out their tunes. I think they all contributed a lot to the creation of that music, they all are major factors in being a huge cultural phenomenon, and it must have completely sucked to have all of that taken away because the one guy who could sing those songs didn't want to be a part of it anymore.

So they finally found a worthy substitute, and now they tour, they're in their element doing what they love, and if you closed your eyes you would never know it was someone else singing those songs.

And the fans, that's the real payoff here. I saw people in tears, people dancing in the aisles and throwing fists in the air to the anthems and putting their arms around each other and swaying to the ballads, couples kissing and holding hands and singing all those choruses at the top of their lungs.

How can that be wrong, why should anyone be embarassed about bringing those kinds of energies, experiences, and memories into the world?

If Aerosmith can find someone who really pulls off the Steven Tyler thing, it would be a crying shame to not put him on stages around the world. Regardless of how I feel about their music, what they do and what they give to their fans is a gift, I wish them the best of luck in getting it together and putting it out there.

I reckon that's my hippie rant for the day.


Gregory Scott - ubk
well put.. i think ive been converted....
Old 6th December 2009
  #401
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
Don't forget, Steve Perry was NOT the first lead singer for Journey. I remember the tour where he got the job and the tour before. He was a roady.
Yea, even before any singer, weren't they a fusion band? I think I remember seeing something where Journey's manager knew they were good but needed a frontman, ...a singer to tell the story and drive it home.

But the fun part about it was that Neil Schon (spelling ?) didn't dig pop?
and was horrified with the idea of a singer to accompany his melodic/rock instrumentals........until he heard Perry!! If this is true, that rocks.

Who couldn't dig that voice?
Old 6th December 2009
  #402
Lives for gear
 
memphisindie's Avatar
 

Steve Smith wasn't a big "pop guy" either.
He is one of the greatest drummers on the planet though. Dude has finesse falling out of his fingers 24-7.
Old 6th December 2009
  #403
Gear Maniac
 
Top40Music's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Thomas View Post
^ Foreigner is doing the same thing...their newer lead singer is pretty damned good too...not quite Lou Graham like but the guy is an excellent rock singer and added his own-thing to their sound, and it actually worked pretty well...caught them live on VH1 a couple weeks ago.
Yea buddy the guy Rocked !
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear