The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would you buy new Focal Solos or used Focal Twins?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Would you buy new Focal Solos or used Focal Twins?

Hi there!

I have the option to buy a pair of used Focal Twins that cost about the same as new Focal Solos. What would you go for?

Generally, would you mind buying used monitors? I'm not sure how "sensitive" they are...

Greetings

Hum-Free
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just recently heard 3 pairs of Focals in the same room, SM11, Twin6 and Solo6...

...no doubt the SM11 were head&shoulders above the little ones, BUT...

regarding pure frequency response and stereo-image I found the Solo´s to be a good bit more true and less offending/harsh in the upper mids than the Twins!

The Twins clearly have more SPL/punch if you crank them, but I found them the least pleasant of the three to work on!

ymmv.
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Addict

Call me crazy because almost everyone here prefers the Twins but I recently demoed the Solos, Twins, BM6as, and O300s and liked the Solos best out of all of them. I did like the slight lower end of the Twins but the stereo image (all be it not in a studio/calibrated environment) was really goofy to my ear. I liked the the nice wide stable image I got from the Solos. Best thing to do is find a dealer and go check them out. I was hell bent on the O300s and then went and listened to them and although they are amazing sounding speakers, my ear preferred something else.

Goes to show it's not necessarily about price or prestige all the time.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Not sure if this helps to answer your question, but I mix on Focal SM8 monitors--and I listen for enjoyment on Solo6Be. I have mixed on the Solos with good results, although they are not as accurate as the SM8s. But they're more fun to listen to, with a more assertive midrange. Some pros master on Solo6s. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Twins.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

Keep in mind that's a whole new level of investment at $2400 for a new pair of Solos versus $5800 for SM8s. I would consider that slightly out of the range of comparison.
Old 12th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hum-free View Post
What would you go for?
I guess it would depend on your applications! The Twins are awesome. I feel as though the Twins are of no comparison to the Solo's, but I absolutely would have no issue what so ever with the Solo's on any occasion.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVries View Post
Keep in mind that's a whole new level of investment at $2400 for a new pair of Solos versus $5800 for SM8s. I would consider that slightly out of the range of comparison.
Right. My point was that I like the Solo6s, even when they're right next to the much more expensive SM8s. I'm happy to mix on either one.
Old 12th January 2010
Here for the gear

No Brainer....Get the twins.
Old 15th May 2012
Here for the gear
Any update?

Hey guys

I'm just comparing the Solos to the Twins.

hum-free, what did you decide in the end? And are you happy with what you've got?

Thanks for any reply and enjoy your time...
Josh
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I got to try both solo's and twins in a demo room. (I guess this would qualify as "used" in your case) I found the solo6 to be a tad more accurate. They're the ones I went home with. My line of thinking is that if you want the extra punch, you might be better getting the sub.
Old 15th May 2012
I A/B both the Solo's and the Twins. Though I liked the Solo's the sweet spot was more narrow, and there was less low end, so I went with the Twins. The Solo's though are very good monitors and if I had them, I would have no problems obtaining great mixes from them.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

I would consider the size of your room as well- is it around or bigger than say 10x15? If not, you might get along better w the Solo6s, which are terrific speakers, IMHO, and might play better in a smaller room?

At any rate, good luck- I think they are both great monitors with terrific imaging and are worth trying!

Sean
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear