The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Production Rights!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Production Rights!!!

Hey so i just finished a track for some artist and i wanted to replace the guitar sound with a real guitar. so i called a guitar player and payed him 50 an hour so he could play the parts i wanted and i was wondering.
if he has rights or not.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

Yeah! He has the 'right' to spend his $50 on any thing he likes. Strings, Chinese food, an oil change...

Unless you are feeling super-generous and agree beforehand, session musicians do not get writing credit or producer credit for doing their job. If he disagrees, remind him there are 10,000 other guitarists you can use.

It really bugs me when I meet someone with this attitude. Credit Creep is a cancer upon our industry. Fight it at every turn.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

I'd suggest a release. Without one you are somewhat vulnerable in this respect. Many if not most of my clients require it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear