The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nearfields: Farther away = bigger sweet spot?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Nearfields: Farther away = bigger sweet spot?

My question is, does the sweet spot of a set of nearfields get larger if the monitors are, say, six feet away rather than five?

I know nearfields in general aren't known for large sweet spots. But as I plan a new room, that will probably have something along the lines of Adam/Focal/K+H nearfields, I'm trying to maximize the good listening area....it's probably too much to hope for, but the ideal would be for two people to be able to sit side by side.

I have some flexibility in layout that would let me get as much as seven feet away (pretty close to the 2 meters that seems to be a typical maximum recommended distance). But is farther better?
Old 13th November 2009
Motown legend

The more accurate the speakers, the smaller the sweet spot no matter what the distance.
Old 13th November 2009
good point, but also.... experiment.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

What stated is 100% true,
A wide sweet spot means more off axis coloration which essentially is a bad thing.
In an ideal world you would want a speaker that fires at the listerner's direction only or on the other hand an omni directional design which generates the same signal on and off axis.
If the original signal and reflected signal are the same and are within few Ms time of each other (usualy reflected is few dbs lower in energy) then the brain can ignore the reflection and no coloration accures.

From my expirience size doesnt have to do with sweet spot but the accual drivers and waveguiding is what makes a difference.
Old 13th November 2009
Motown legend

Good off-axis response is important so that the early reflections aren't colored and hence confusing. This also makes working with others a lot easier but the sweet spot where the image is in razor sharp focus is very tiny when the speakers are absolutely identical.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful input! As is so often the case, discussions like this can make one aware of whole other layers of the initial question, and it's very helpful.

I'll keep this all in mind as I do my monitor shopping and layout....and yeah, experimentation will be the watchword.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear