The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog "love" or "confusion"... when to incorporate Mixer in chain.
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

Analog "love" or "confusion"... when to incorporate Mixer in chain.

Hey Fam,
I've been on this recording journey for about a year now and I need to check in.

First of all, much love to everyone's contributions. Every decision I've made regarding my set up and subsequent poverty was influenced by the posts here. So...
I'm running Logic 8 on my G5, Apogee Duet, RNC, & Sputnik or NT1A.

Lost my MAudio DMP3 (which was surprisingly a little beast) to the fire, but soon to
be replaced with GR ME 1-NV next week.

now my question: I want to expand my I/O since I'm pretty broke at this point.
Have a couple old and crappy mixers sitting around and when I put them in the chain the EQ sounds so much better than software EQ to me! I also hear this undesirable but welcome "mud" in the mix. For example, in a completely digital chain, my vocal harmonies are too crispy. They don't blend well... kind of sit on top of each other but don't interact on a sonic level? Of course the downside is the noise floor of these crappy Pres interacting with my Apogee Pres or my DMP3 back in the day. I know someone from this board will find a way to hunt me down and SLAP ME if I use this kind of config with my Great River Pres.

So how can I expand my I/O? How can I get that thick warmth that lets vocals "blend" with one another? Is a Mixer even necessary? or should I just wait to upgrade my Apogee into a Fireface? Should I look at a better quality Mixer, like an Allen Heath? What is the rule about Pre on Pre action? Sounds like a bad orgy.
My sense is this...

There's some love in the Mud.
but love hurts.

talk to me...
Seed Lynn
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear