The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The XX - who here worked on that record ?
Old 12th April 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

HAHA, I think this youtube poster said it the best!!

Quote:
Every tune is the same. The guitar goes "clinig cling cling cling cling cling cling cling cling cling...", and then the guitar goes "clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang clang...", and then the guitar goes "clinig cling cling cling cling cling cling cling cling cling.
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Addict

The Japanese XX Cover Band... the OO!!!!

Hilarity!
The oo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

My wife turned me to the XX, Basic Space is a very cute song, nice dark atmosphere... Self-produced? Who the feck cares? It just sounds good...

Does it really comes down to equipment and stuff only? Yeah, it's Gearslutz but we're in it for the music aren't we?
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Maniac

this was big in my hood at the end of last year.
really cool record, they are still figuring out the live side of things. I think they lost a member last year which made live shows a bit more of a challenge.

seem like nice kids and they made a hell of a record.
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Head

I know them since 2008 - they dropped out as support for the cold war kids, so we were asked and the show was great...but I also started listening to their myspace page a lot...liked the demos better than the record. rougher. less polished.
Old 19th April 2010
Here for the gear

Love this record. And love the way it sounds. They've achieved a very spacious, sparse sound that stands apart from most of the music being made at the moment.
Old 19th April 2010
Gear Maniac
The xx is one of the very few artists that have actually been interesting in a long while ... I had no info about them other than the actual music and I simply adore it. Then months later I run into the pictures of kids and all the hype and ... well it's a bit discomforting for me. Anyway music speaks for itself as usual.

No wonder they get so much hate around here from old bitter men who think Genesis is the shit.
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametex View Post
No wonder they get so much hate around here from old bitter men who think Genesis is the shit.
Ha ha! Sums up 85% of GS.....
Old 20th October 2010
Here for the gear

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the (unintentional) distortion on this record?

It's usually triggered by the attack of the electric guitar notes.

Listen to the first guitar note of 'Night Time'. It happens quite a bit throughout the record. At first I thought it was my MP3's but I have heard it on other copies too.

Can anyone confirm it on a CD copy?

It sounds like clipping but I would be surprised if it was done in mastering as it was mastered by Nilz and he is a pro.
Old 21st October 2010
Here for the gear

The XX

The XX is awesome. Great counterpoint/melodies between bass and guitars. Awesome drum beats and layering of samples. And there's just a cool vibe and uniqueness to their sound.

-Twintapes
Old 21st October 2010
Here for the gear

Clipping

And yes, there is digital clipping on the guitars. But oh well...
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

Hahahahaha so true...
Old 21st October 2010
I thought it was a wonderful album
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too true!

Lovely album and a well deserved mercury!
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

I was just listening to the album today. A terrific recording. A beautifully restrained and minimalistic sound. Glad to see it's getting some notice.

Quote:
No truer words were ever spoken. One thing I have learned from visiting this forum is that most people apparently stop listening to new music after the age of thirty-five (or earlier). There is so much good music going on now (none of it on the Billboard charts or commercial radio, of course).
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

I liked the catchyness/simplicity of most of the songs during the first weeks of listening (whitch is always good). But have to admit I'm not listening to it anymore.. The dual vox someway doesn't make it for me, specially him.

Cheers,
Old 23rd October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twintapes View Post
And yes, there is digital clipping on the guitars. But oh well...
Yeah I like the album. I love minimalism. It always takes balls. Especially in the digital super computer 'infinite tracks' age.
But regarding the clipping, I would be really annoyed if that was an album I produced.
I often pile on distortion intentionally, but just one clipped note on a clean guitar and it would really piss me off.
It's not just one note on this album though, it's all over it.

What I want to know is 'at what stage of the recording process did it happen'.

I'm guessing tracking as it's only the guitars I hear it on. If it was mastering I would expect to hear it on other elements too.
Old 24th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
I was just listening to the album today. A terrific recording. A beautifully restrained and minimalistic sound. Glad to see it's getting some notice.

No truer words were ever spoken. One thing I have learned from visiting this forum is that most people apparently stop listening to new music after the age of thirty-five (or earlier). There is so much good music going on now (none of it on the Billboard charts or commercial radio, of course).

Old 24th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
most people apparently stop listening to new music after the age of thirty-five (or earlier).
MUCH earlier
Old 29th October 2010
Here for the gear

I'm 37 and listen to new music all the time. I was given a copy of the XX album by someone in the industry who had 'too many' copies. I really wanted to believe there was something behind the hype. After two weeks of listening I still can't hear it and have given up. If you want this copy let me know. I'll mail it anywhere.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
... be careful with those generalisations.

I think early Genesis is 'the shit' and The XX, and Vampire Weekend, Modeselektor, Crystal Castles, Teebs, Crosby Stills & Nash, Joanna Newsom, etc, etc...

Grandad.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting album, but I was really gutted to hear how blatantly they ripped off David Bowie's "Heroes" in "VCR".
tutt
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
Interesting album, but I was really gutted to hear how blatantly they ripped off David Bowie's "Heroes" in "VCR".
tutt
I haven't listened to "Heroes" all the way through, are you referring to the title track? I don't hear it...

That's also funny because when I first heard it, I thought the obvious reference point was "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground. Especially with it being the first song (besides the intro) of their first album and all.

BTW, Manus I'd love the record if you still have it, I PMed you.

Old 12th March 2011
Gear Addict

I'm looking for the reverb used on The Xx "intro" track. Drum sounds and synths they used. It sounds really "huge".
Any idea ? thx
The Xx
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Maniac

mig really has a point there, verse is really like heroes by DB.

On the other side, though, sometimes musicians just come up with ideas that are turned into music by others as well without having stolen from them.

Just like the fact that the combination of words im using right now has been probably used before elsewhere. Usually,as a musician, you'd hate to learn that you can't use a certain tune you come up with cause someone else already seems to have apropriated it, anyway, that's my experience. Still doesnt leave out piossibility they took it from him, but just my 02
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear