The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coles 4038 or SF12 for drum overhead ???
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Coles 4038 or SF12 for drum overhead ???

Hi all,

I like to get some suggestions/comments regarding the Coles 4038 and Royer SF-12 as drum overhead. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated since i have no way of trying out these beast before buying.
I will be using them with my Dakings, API and i will be getting a Focusrite 428 soon also. Thanks
Old 16th May 2003
The Coles seem to be a little darker in the top and rounder on the bottom. The SF-12 seems to be a little more accurate, and have a flatter frequency response (still slightly rolled off in the top). You could also think about two SF-1's if you will ever being doing spaced configurations.
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hey man, I sent you a PM with a link to a song I made almost entirely with the Royer SF-12 for reference. I forgot to mention that the clip "The Fairly Light" also on that page was also done entirely with the Royer mic.
Old 16th May 2003
Jtt
Gear Addict

Battle Angel: Can I hear too???

-Jtt
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

sure, just check out the songs at: benmorris.iuma.com

keep in mind that I'm basically on "the other side of the glass" most of the time. I only know the basics of engineering out of necessity of not usually having other people to work with hehe. But you'll get an idea of what the Royer can do even in the hands of a total schmuck ;-)
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Nut

For what it's worth, I prefer the Royer as an overhead and the Coles as room mics. I've tried the reverse as well, but the Royer gives me much better imaging on the kit and the Coles sound fatter in the room.

-Moze
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moze
For what it's worth, I prefer the Royer as an overhead and the Coles as room mics. I've tried the reverse as well, but the Royer gives me much better imaging on the kit and the Coles sound fatter in the room.

-Moze
I'll second that! There's something about the way the Coles sound when compressed. If I'm going for a compressed sound, I'll choose the Coles and EQ them (or not). If I'm going for a more natural sound, the Royer is a better choice. I say get both
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear