The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's wrong?
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

What's wrong?

I'm a newb on the forum, but I've been reading posts for a really long time. Quick question for those in the know... I recently got a Beta 58a for a really good price, but the frequency response seems off. It sounds a bit muffled. On some voices it sounds ok, but on others there's a pronounced "honkiness" to it... Any idea what the problem is? Has the cartridge had it?
Thanks
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Try putting the mic on an angle to the source. so in other words, if you are putting it up to a speaker, don't aim the mic directly at the speaker.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

You may just be hearing the characteristics of different voices. Microphones may resonate at certain frequencies. These honky vocals may be hitting just the right frequency to resonate the microphone. Then when you switch to the next vocal, it might disappear.

Maybe there is a problem with it's freq response though. But just know that the mic will respond differently for different sources.
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I got the Mic 2nd hand, and am thus strongly suspecting that it may have been damaged by the previous owner (got it from a pawn shop, so I don't know any of its history). I also have a beta 57a, which is much clearer than the beta 58a. Is there a huge discernable difference between the overall sounds of the mics. This 58a sounds nothing like the 57a...
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Hate to say it, but are you sure it's not a fake.

I made the mistake a while back and ended up with some fake beta 57's. They were honky with a slightly higher output. They were VERY good fakes in the way they looked/were badged etc. I'm sure there are some pics of the capsules on the net somewhere that compare them as this is where the real differences are. Might be worth looking inside the beta 57's you have to check, they should be almost identical to the 58's.

I hope that isn't the case though!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empora View Post
Hate to say it, but are you sure it's not a fake.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 7th December 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies! Well I've had a look, and reading posts on how to spot a fake, it SEEMS to be a real one. (plus here in South Africa, the instrument market is relatively small so fakes don't make their way here too often)

My biggest concern is that I got it used, so I'm thinking it was most likely damaged before it got to me... is there any way I can test it to see what is wrong?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear