The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What the heck does this mean in PT8!!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

What the heck does this mean in PT8!!

I was trying to consolidate a region in PT8 and this message keeps getting prompted:

"the command cannot be completed because it contains one or more regions or fades that are offline or yet to be rendered
"

What does this mean? How do I get past it to make this edit into one file? Couldn't find it on the DUC.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

I feel like I've seen that before but don't remember how I got around it; Try copying/pasting to another track or playlist and then proceeding with the same command to 'trick it'? Do you have a backup session that was automatically saved recently? If so, try opening that instead and consolidating it there.... just a thought
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Check the task manager. It can be elastic audio is rendering, or whatever. In the task manager you can see what is happening with you region.
At the header, if the little waveform is red, than some processing going on with the region.

Tamas Dragon
Old 12th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

I had this the other day - it's like one of the above posters mentioned - you need to check your task manager. Sometimes a fade file is too small to be seen from zoom 1-3 and if it is incomplete or missing it will halt the consolidation.

Happy hunting!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

There are zero items in my task manager. also I completely exited pro tools and opened it again. Same problem. I also tried copying and pasting it into another track. Still the same message. I don't get it.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

What were you trying to do when you got that error?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've run into this while using Beat Detective. Pain in the ass!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

try getting rid of any fades in the region. or delete the fades folder, and when you open up the session tell it to re-create the fades.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Check the task manager. It can be elastic audio is rendering, or whatever. In the task manager you can see what is happening with you region.
At the header, if the little waveform is red, than some processing going on with the region.

Tamas Dragon
Yep. Task manager should show what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
try getting rid of any fades in the region. or delete the fades folder, and when you open up the session tell it to re-create the fades.
...and if it doesn't, this should fix it!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Where do I find the fades folder?
Old 14th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
Where do I find the fades folder?
They are in the project folder..mine is...c>my PT folder>folder you named for song>fade file...If you did not do any fades it will not be there!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Look at the selected pink file in the middle. That's the file that PT won't let me consolidate. There has to be a logical reason for it. Maybe i'm doing something incorrectly. I'm still learning my way around PT8 coming from 7.3 so there's plenty I don't know. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
What the heck does this mean in PT8!!-untitled.jpg  
Old 17th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

That's what we're saying. Those white regions between the pink regions are "incomplete tasks" that you need to delete before PT will let you consolidate.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Exactly, or wait for the task to be down properly. After, it will consolidate.
TD
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok I understand now. What was throwing me off was that everyone keeps saying to check the task manager, but there's nothing in the task manager and I've waited for a couple of hours before trying to consolidate just in case. When I get back to the studio later I'll try deleting all the white regions. What exactly are those white regions in terms of how pro tools sees them? Why are they incomplete tasks?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, you've got it now.
There can be incomplete tasks from missing files. If that is the case, pro tools keeps them as incomplete tasks, don't let do edit things with those regions, because in the "virtual cue list" pt has some other tasks to do with those "missing" regions.

Always look at the main counter bar at the top. There is a little waveform like thing. If that is red, than something is going on with some of your regions. If it is green, everything is ready.
TD
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Now it all comes together. I was wondering what the red was telling me. I really need to rtfm.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now it all comes together. I was wondering what the red was telling me. I really need to rtfm.
sometimes worht it.
Old 17th November 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

When you started your session up, does it prompt you by asking about finding missing fades or audio files? If you choose to not search for the missing files, then the task manager will remain idle. However, if you were to "automatically find" the fades or files then the task manager would be busy and you'd know what was going on.

Best bet, check the red/green waveform.

I've driven myself mad as well doing this. Thanks digi!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
Yep. Task manager should show what is going on.

...and if it doesn't, this should fix it!
i tried that and it stil didn't work

really wish i satyed with PT7..

8 and leopard take up too much DSP ..always has issues with mixer dsp that i never had before and has quirky BS like this..and waiting on the phone for 45 minutes for a digi rep sucks 0's and 1's

another great bug is trying to change buffer size while in a session..80% of the time the spinning wheel comes on.. protools shuts down but the computer still sees it as on and the fans of doom come on my rig and i have to shut down
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i tried that and it stil didn't work

really wish i satyed with PT7..

8 and leopard take up too much DSP ..always has issues with mixer dsp that i never had before and has quirky BS like this..and waiting on the phone for 45 minutes for a digi rep sucks 0's and 1's

another great bug is trying to change buffer size while in a session..80% of the time the spinning wheel comes on.. protools shuts down but the computer still sees it as on and the fans of doom come on my rig and i have to shut down
Wow. Sorry to hear you guys are having so much trouble.

I work out of 2 different studios and honestly, I agree that the one that is still on 7.3 seems more stable.

The place that is on 8 has the same issue you are experiencing with buffer size.

Another fun bug in the Playback Engine is delay compensation. It says it is going to close the session and reopen but it goes into the same "OSX says it's open but it's not" mode.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vum View Post
When you started your session up, does it prompt you by asking about finding missing fades or audio files? If you choose to not search for the missing files, then the task manager will remain idle. However, if you were to "automatically find" the fades or files then the task manager would be busy and you'd know what was going on.

Best bet, check the red/green waveform.

I've driven myself mad as well doing this. Thanks digi!!
Actually, yes. This particular session somehow lost 4 audio files for apparently no reason at all. I mean I recorded them, edited them, saved them and closed PT. The next time I opened the session they were gone and PT wants to search and relink them. But it can't because they're gone. WTF!! One more mind boggling issue with PT8. Although it's really just been these 2 issues that I've been experiencing and other than that it's been running pretty solid. But the disappearing files thing is pretty major. I started a thread on it but noone else seems to have this problem. I did find a few people on the DUC with the same problem but there was no resolution offered by Digi.
Old 17th November 2009
mds
Lives for gear

Haven't seen the disappearing file thing...could be a system issue, possible Hard Drive related?

Sounds like you figured it out, but just wanted to make sure when you were looking at the Task window you were looking at Windows Task Manager. That won't help at all, haha....the Task window will show what PT is doing in terms of rendering fades, looking for files, etc.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
Haven't seen the disappearing file thing...could be a system issue, possible Hard Drive related?

Sounds like you figured it out, but just wanted to make sure when you were looking at the Task window you were looking at Windows Task Manager. That won't help at all, haha....the Task window will show what PT is doing in terms of rendering fades, looking for files, etc.
I was looking at pro tools task manager. I assumed that's what everyone meant, it seemed logical.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The next time I opened the session they were gone and PT wants to search and relink them. But it can't because they're gone. WTF!!
This one's easy enough. Open the region list on the right side of the edit window and "select" and "clear" from the session file names that are italicized. Then save the session. Next time you open it, PT won't be looking for those files.

SAVE COPY IN is the best insurance for saving sessions. Click on SAVE COPY IN from the FILE pull-down menu at the top of the screen. When you get the SCI menu, first click on DESKTOP, then, CREATE NEW FOLDER. Name it something useful with the date and then click on the "ALL AUDIO FILES". You can also rename the session if you like at the top and even save the session as an older version of PT if you are going to be in a studio with an older version of PT.

If done correctly, every file in the session will be in the new folder (on the desktop) and available to the renamed PT session that lives in that folder. (If you merely SAVE as session, the audio files in the session may be on any connected drive... and those drives may or may not be available to PT the next time you try to open the session... aka "missing files".)
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
Wow. Sorry to hear you guys are having so much trouble.

I work out of 2 different studios and honestly, I agree that the one that is still on 7.3 seems more stable.

The place that is on 8 has the same issue you are experiencing with buffer size.

Another fun bug in the Playback Engine is delay compensation. It says it is going to close the session and reopen but it goes into the same "OSX says it's open but it's not" mode.
i hate to say i'm glad that someone else has the same problems but at least i can feel better that my instal was probably done correctly

the mix dsp issue really bugs me..i get the prompt that there is no more mxer dsp on sessions that are no where near as big as i did on 7.3 [in fact i never got that prompt on 7.3]

and now that leopard has proven to be a stopgap and snow leopard is the deal and the fact that i got my g5 as one of the very last power pc's because pt didn't certify the intel based macs yet and that apple is not supporting my computer with anymore software...i'm in a crappy position
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
This one's easy enough. Open the region list on the right side of the edit window and "select" and "clear" from the session file names that are italicized. Then save the session. Next time you open it, PT won't be looking for those files.

SAVE COPY IN is the best insurance for saving sessions. Click on SAVE COPY IN from the FILE pull-down menu at the top of the screen. When you get the SCI menu, first click on DESKTOP, then, CREATE NEW FOLDER. Name it something useful with the date and then click on the "ALL AUDIO FILES". You can also rename the session if you like at the top and even save the session as an older version of PT if you are going to be in a studio with an older version of PT.

If done correctly, every file in the session will be in the new folder (on the desktop) and available to the renamed PT session that lives in that folder. (If you merely SAVE as session, the audio files in the session may be on any connected drive... and those drives may or may not be available to PT the next time you try to open the session... aka "missing files".)
I understand and appreciate what you're saying to do and I'm sure it'll work. But I never had to do this in 7.3 and shouldn't have to in 8. This is a work-around. There is no reason why I should not be able to just save the file normally. Is everyone doing stuff like this?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I BOUGHT 8 IN JANUARY but waited till august to install it figuring most all the major bugs would have been worked out

to me having the damn thing crash when i want to change the buffer size IS NOT a small issue..nor is this whole mixer dsp BS

THAt and how 8 works with leopard has me really PO'd

i upgraded WUP, bought 2 fresh internal drives..added RAM and installed leopard, pt 8 waves 7 and i wish i were working in 7.3 for the almost 1k that my upgrades cost
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

wonderful ...when i tried to do that consolodate for a percussion session on a LE system i lost gtr regions that are in my region bin ..but when i look at full path and follow it the files are missing

now i have to eat session time ...borrow an es335 again mutha $&^$&^$(&^$%&(

sidenote...client brings in a backup that i forgot i made him take..we plug in his drive and reopen the session on MY drive the missing audio in the blank regions now comes back..i look at file path and it says it's on my drive

BUT IT'S NOT

so i just bussed out the track and recorded a copy of it..reopened session without his drive and all was cool

BUT..another guitar, luckily a repeating hook line. was missing region groups not just the audio inside a region...i just copy and pasted the 1 intact region into the other spots

very bizarre and all of it occurred after tying to consolidate some files last week
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand and appreciate what you're saying to do and I'm sure it'll work. But I never had to do this in 7.3 and shouldn't have to in 8. This is a work-around. There is no reason why I should not be able to just save the file normally. Is everyone doing stuff like this?
Everyone that looses audio files is doin' it... If you are "saving files normally" and losing files, you're doing it wrong.

This is NOT a version thing. It's pilot error.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear