The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

could anybody explain the limit section of the 2254 - I guess limit level is kinda treshold isnt it? and how can I see how much I limit? incredibly sounding piece of gear but pretty tricky to handle...

thx
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
could anybody explain the limit section of the 2254 - I guess limit level is kinda treshold isnt it? and how can I see how much I limit? incredibly sounding piece of gear but pretty tricky to handle...

thx
Hi

I don't see what your problem is. The threshold knob starts at +4dBu so, if set there, the max level you can get is +4dBu. The amount it is crunching is shown on the meter when set to gain reduction.

The limit side chain follows the module output so will also limit the compressor's output if you add gobs of gain make up.

The limit ratio is around 100:1 so whatever position you set the threshold knob at... that's the maximum level the limiter will let pass.

Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I don't see what your problem is. The threshold knob starts at +4dBu so, if set there, the max level you can get is +4dBu. The amount it is crunching is shown on the meter when set to gain reduction.

The limit side chain follows the module output so will also limit the compressor's output if you add gobs of gain make up.

The limit ratio is around 100:1 so whatever position you set the threshold knob at... that's the maximum level the limiter will let pass.

thx that helps
Old 13th November 2009
member no 666

If you have the "a" version you might want to have the limiter's attack time modified... if you have the "e' you have a choice of attack times where the slow setting is probably going to be appropriate for a wider variety of applications than the "fast".

Great sounding units [when in good repair]... should serve you well!!

[PS -- 3:1 seems to have some kind of near magic for vocals in my experience... of course, YMMV].

Peace.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
If you have the "a" version you might want to have the limiter's attack time modified... if you have the "e' you have a choice of attack times where the slow setting is probably going to be appropriate for a wider variety of applications than the "fast".

Great sounding units [when in good repair]... should serve you well!!

[PS -- 3:1 seems to have some kind of near magic for vocals in my experience... of course, YMMV].

Peace.
thx man - I'll try that - do you use the limiter for vocal recording? if yes how?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear